New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

A couple of wedding shots

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A couple of wedding shots

I shoot an average of 15-20 weddings a year. Usually a couple each year are pretty far away in other states, so that's always fun to travel for a wedding. Thought I'd post a couple pics from my latest wedding.

Comments always welcome.

1. Window light camera left.

4. I always go for a good sunset silhouette.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:09 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A couple of wedding shots

in the 3rd shot i would have timed and positioned so the sun was centered between them in what appears to be almost a shape heart. other than that it is an excellent silhouette. job well done.....

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:46 PM
rntbot

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A couple of wedding shots

Great shots! I can never get the exposure right shooting into the sun. How did you get everyone so well exposed without blowing out everything? Thanks for sharing.

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:12 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A couple of wedding shots

R.H. Johnson wrote:
in the 3rd shot i would have timed and positioned so the sun was centered between them in what appears to be almost a shape heart. other than that it is an excellent silhouette. job well done.....

Thanks! I sometimes put the sun between them, but I often put it to the side. Every time I do a silhouette, I do it differently, given whatever the setting looks like.

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:55 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A couple of wedding shots

rntbot wrote:
Great shots! I can never get the exposure right shooting into the sun. How did you get everyone so well exposed without blowing out everything? Thanks for sharing.

I presume you're talking about the group bridal party shot. Largely, I expose for the group and with a setting sun coming through a tree, the dynamic range is really not that far off. Remove the tree from the shot and the sun would have just been completely blown out.

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:57 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A couple of wedding shots

What's your basic wedding kit?

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:13 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A couple of wedding shots

Love #4! All are nice.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:30 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A couple of wedding shots

Paul Mo wrote:
What's your basic wedding kit?

Nikon D4 and D700 cameras. 70-200, 24-70, 14-24, 85 f/1.4/G, 90mm macro, and sometimes my 50mm Sigma Art. For the outdoor portraits, I carry a lightstand with two Yongnuo flashes, umbrella, and a reflector but I rarely use the reflector and only use the lights if I have to, or creatively. In all, I probably carry 6 or more Yongnuo flashes. That's about it, more or less.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:43 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A couple of wedding shots

dmacmillan wrote:
Love #4! All are nice.

Thanks so much, Doug!

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:44 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A couple of wedding shots

I shoot weddings full time so wanted to chime in.

These are all nice and I am sure the couple is thrilled with the results, but here is what I would have differently:

(1) lighting is beautiful, but the perspective makes her head look way too big for her body

(2) nice setup and use of light, but make sure all guys are doing the same thing with the closer arm (either all in pocket or all hanging naturally. ladies should have bouquet at same position on body - in this shot it varies slightly from girl to girl.

Also in this shot, the girl to the bride's right is a bit too far away creating an awkward gap. I realize that you did that because of the dress, but she can move closer and behind the dress slightly to give a more uniform appearance to the overall group.

(3) again, sublime light. clean up dead leaves for a cleaner look and perhaps remove bench in background, but that is minor

(4) very nice... wouldn't change a thing about this one

HTH

Aloha

greg

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A couple of wedding shots

Thanks, Greg!

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:03 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A couple of wedding shots

Well done, Ron. A very nice set.

I like the silhouette shot a lot. I think the sun being off to the side gives us la good look at the couple without a bright sun between them.

I like how you have the group shot in "pairs".

So great job!

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A couple of wedding shots

gheller wrote:
(1) lighting is beautiful, but the perspective makes her head look way too big for her body

I dunno, that doesn't seem to be a distortion. Look at her in #3. Dainty figure, huge hair.

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:32 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A couple of wedding shots

Really great work as always, however, I am also curious about the FL used to shoot #1. DOF looks shallow enough (50mm?) that it wasn't a wide angle but something about it does look a little distorted.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:01 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A couple of wedding shots

Jim Rickards wrote:
Well done, Ron. A very nice set.

I like the silhouette shot a lot. I think the sun being off to the side gives us la good look at the couple without a bright sun between them.

I like how you have the group shot in "pairs".

So great job!

Thanks, Jim!

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:34 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A couple of wedding shots

BSPhotog wrote:
I dunno, that doesn't seem to be a distortion. Look at her in #3. Dainty figure, huge hair.

I don't really see the distortion, knowing her. She's very thin, a runner. I'm shooting down on her obviously, so even without distortion, her head is naturally going to appear bigger as that's the closest thing to the camera. I'm using a Nikon D4 with a 24-70 lens and its right at 50mm.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:38 AM
JagmeetSingh

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A couple of wedding shots

Nice shots.. I never get that much great tone and exposure in sun. Really appreciable work.

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:24 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A couple of wedding shots

gheller wrote:
I shoot weddings full time so wanted to chime in.

These are all nice and I am sure the couple is thrilled with the results, but here is what I would have differently:

(2) nice setup and use of light, but make sure all guys are doing the same thing with the closer arm (either all in pocket or all hanging naturally. ladies should have bouquet at same position on body - in this shot it varies slightly from girl to girl.

Also in this shot, the
...Show more

I do not think it is perspective but her hair and how it is bigger in the back that causes that. To hide that or make it look different is not something i would consider, seeing she chose the hairstyle and paid good money for it.

Great shots and I know they will be extremely pleased. The one thing I have found about photo forums is that photographers will always choose photos based on technical skill, composition and artistic flair, when our customers usually go for the more simple photos with them and their friends and family.

-Greg

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:26 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A couple of wedding shots

1- the spot above her lip may be cloned away. I see cyan in the gown, not real clean white.
Fantastic photos! You use the sun to great advantage. Really nice photos

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:07 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A couple of wedding shots

Thanks guys!

Charles, the spot above her lip is a permanent mole. I don't clone away permanent blemishes like that. Thanks for mentioning the cyan. I normally catch that, but missed that here.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password