New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

An FF dilemma

DK78

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · An FF dilemma

Thanks all.
The biggest problem with 6D is the lack of cheap and compact UWA lens, I thought 20mm 2/8 will do the trick but I've probably been wrong. I have no funds for 16-35 or 17-40... yet, also they seems to be pretty heavy for the walkaround stuff.

No voters for M6? ))

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:53 AM
Jimi3
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · An FF dilemma

The 17-40 is not as good as the 16-35 f/4, but it's not a bad lens and is available used for $350-400 here and elsewhere if you are patient. I had one when I shot the 5d2 and it was pretty good; a great value at that price.

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:04 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
Thanks all.
The biggest problem with 6D is the lack of cheap and compact UWA lens, I thought 20mm 2/8 will do the trick but I've probably been wrong. I have no funds for 16-35 or 17-40... yet, also they seems to be pretty heavy for the walkaround stuff.

No voters for M6? ))

yes, that's one of the benefits of mirrorless - they can make wide angle lenses very small and cheap
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM
DK78

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · An FF dilemma

I've deleted my last post as I couldn't embed anything from dropbox.
I wanted to show the most critical scenario of my shooting but again, milkod2001's advice and stay with crop till I got money for something like 5D MKIII?

Sorry for nagging

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
May be I should listen to milkod2001's advice and stay with crop till I got money for something like 5D MKIII?

Sorry for nagging

please don't apologize haha,

Waiting for a little while is sometimes a good idea. Don't rule that option out!

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:04 AM
DK78

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · An FF dilemma

Oscarsmadness wrote:
please don't apologize haha,

Waiting for a little while is sometimes a good idea. Don't rule that option out!

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:53 PM
rek101
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · An FF dilemma

For snappy good autofocus, I'd say you're stuck with a 5d mark III or IV or with nikon something D750 or higher. I had the 6D version I...the autofocus on the 6D is not even close to as good as the 5d mark III. I've also used the D750 and that also has much better autofocus than the 6D version I. If the 6D version II is better, that's an option, but confirm with someone who owns one.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:00 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · An FF dilemma

If you don't need the high ISO performance and your budget does not allow for good FF glass just stick with a crop. An 80d with good glass is likely all you, or anyone else for that matter, need unless you shoot in low light often. I moved to FF last November and still have a little buyers remorse. Don't get me wrong, the IQ is awesome compared to the 50d it replaced. I needed/wanted better IQ at high ISO and in that sense it was worth it but now I'm going to have to keep going down this never ending contentment issue with wanting $20k of L glass thinking that it is going to magically make my images look like I want them to.

Good luck with your decision.

Marty

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:18 AM
takowasa
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · An FF dilemma

Personally, I think a used 6D or used D750 is worth a hard look.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:46 AM
bkpix

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · An FF dilemma

For a good ultrawide FF Canon lens, consider the old 20-35/2.8 L. Canon no longer services, but they're built like tanks and make great images. KEH has them as low as $432.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DK78

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · An FF dilemma

Thanks all!

I've checked the D750 specs and it's very interesting camera, pricier than 6D though.
Oh... he nightmare of too many choices

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:10 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · An FF dilemma

Used 70D over a 6D for me given what was described in the first post. While the 6D is FF, it is slow, which is opposite of what I was reading that the OP was looking for. The 70D can be had for about $700 used from Canon with a warranty right now or just used for around $600 or so. It is also apparently a very nice video camera for blogging and non 4k type videos. Personally if I was looking to go full frame I'd get a 5D3 used.

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:53 PM
DK78

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · An FF dilemma

mikeinctown wrote:
Used 70D over a 6D for me given what was described in the first post. While the 6D is FF, it is slow, which is opposite of what I was reading that the OP was looking for. The 70D can be had for about $700 used from Canon with a warranty right now or just used for around $600 or so. It is also apparently a very nice video camera for blogging and non 4k type videos. Personally if I was looking to go full frame I'd get a 5D3 used.

If (and when) I'll decide to stay with Canon's crop (and I have to make up my mind very soon) may be it's better to go with Canon's M? The M5 & M6 with PDAF got very positive feedback.

As for FF - probably if it's not 5D MkIII or D750 I'll get the same headache as with my ex-precious T2i...
Also with FF body I have to reconsider my glass preferences... Jeez... I'm a agnostic but anyway

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:20 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · An FF dilemma

I have an M6, 6D, and 5DSR and like all three of them. I primarily use the 6D for night shooting, but it was my only body for several years. I still think it is a great FF option. The M6 has become my default walk around camera. I usually keep a 15-45 M lens on it to duplicate the classic 24-70 FF lens.

If you want an inexpensive ultra wide for a FF body, 3rd parties would seem to be your best bet. Samyang/Rokinon has done well for me and lots of people seem to like the Irix lenses.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM
DK78

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · An FF dilemma

Thanks kylebarendrick,
Did you find 15-45 worthy for walkaround stuff at daylught?

For FF I've decided to go with 20-35 lenses L (suggested by bkpix, thanks again BTW!) or the USM one... I have had an experience with manual lenses and I didn't like it a lot... have some keepers but it's that easy to "snapshoot" if the scale is not accurate.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:23 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
Thanks kylebarendrick,
Did you find 15-45 worthy for walkaround stuff at daylught?

For FF I've decided to go with 20-35 lenses L (suggested by bkpix, thanks again BTW!) or the USM one... I have had an experience with manual lenses and I didn't like it a lot... have some keepers but it's that easy to "snapshoot" if the scale is not accurate.

I wouldn't call the 15-45 a great lens, but I find it really nice with the M6 for walking around. The focal length is awfully convenient and I don't mind just walking with it on a wrist strap. This makes me much more likely to take a quick shot (especially when I'm with other people) than if I had to take out my SLR and tripod, set up, etc. Here's an example from last weekend in Grand Teton. Much better quality than using my phone and I could just stop, snap, and move on without annoying my wife.

Canon EOS M6    EF-M15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens    23mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:43 AM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · An FF dilemma

Stick with Canon. You have yet to come up with a really good reason to consider switching to Nikon. Switching systems can be financially non-advantageous... and a huge hassle. I switched from Canon to Nikon a while back and it was a pain in the arse though it paid off well for me in the long run.

For a Canon crop, I've heard plenty of good things about the 7D2. I have seen several sports shooters around my area who use it was a second body. If I was still using Canon, the 7D2 would probably be in my bag.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:41 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
If (and when) I'll decide to stay with Canon's crop (and I have to make up my mind very soon) may be it's better to go with Canon's M? The M5 & M6 with PDAF got very positive feedback.

As for FF - probably if it's not 5D MkIII or D750 I'll get the same headache as with my ex-precious T2i...
Also with FF body I have to reconsider my glass preferences... Jeez... I'm a agnostic but anyway

Well I believe you mentioned speed as a big concern so an M likely wouldn't be my first choice. Though I think the poster just above may be on to something with the 7D2. Yeah its a few years old, but it fits the bill of about everything you want. It has decent high ISO performance, fast AF, high FPS, and brand new can be had for around $1200 IIRC or used even less than that. I believe I saw a comparison yesterday when I was doing some searching on the 6D2 and showing the 6D2 against the 80D and 7D2 and surprisingly the 7D2 seemed to be the best choice, especially considering cost.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:51 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · An FF dilemma

Several 3rd party UWA lenses designed more for crop bodies will work on a FF. For example a 1.4x on a Sigma 10-20 works, as does the Tokina 11-16 at 15-16mm natively, and a few others. The Tokina becomes a 16mm prime f2.8 on a FF. You have some options available to you in regards to inexpensive but wider than 20mm shooting.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:10 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · An FF dilemma

mikeinctown wrote:
Well I believe you mentioned speed as a big concern so an M likely wouldn't be my first choice. Though I think the poster just above may be on to something with the 7D2. Yeah its a few years old, but it fits the bill of about everything you want. It has decent high ISO performance, fast AF, high FPS, and brand new can be had for around $1200 IIRC or used even less than that. I believe I saw a comparison yesterday when I was doing some searching on the 6D2 and showing the 6D2 against the 80D and
...Show more

"speed" is very nice on an M5 or M6 ... or maybe M100

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:25 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password