New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · An FF dilemma

DK78

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An FF dilemma

Hi all.
I have dunked my 550D in a lake a few weeks ago and unfortunately it didn't make it.
Before that I was quite happy with my setup - 550D+10-18 & 50stm lenses and original M +22 pancake as a second body. What i've missed is a and snappy good AF, fast RAW fps and large buffer.

As I'm in love with 22 pancake my first impulse was M6, it's quicker, sexier and all I need for ultimate happiness is to replace my 10-18 with 11-22... 50mm stm could be used with adapter that I already own.

I'm not a professional photographer by any means but I'm pixel-perfect fineshmaker and oh my... everytime I've looked on photos from FF cameras I got kind of unscratchable Itch - my first camera was the undead (working till today) Nikon FM2 with 50mm prime and somehow I always wanted to replicate that in digital.
So after checking prices for used Canon 6D and Nikon D600 i've placed myself in a dilemma - continue with canon's APC-S like 6m or the most cheaper way - 70D/77Dfor better control OR sell some photo(and fishing)gear and get myself FF camera with a few 20-35-50 primes.

BTW. I know it's a Canon forum but somehow the price of used D600 is lower than any non-pro FF DSLR, I just wonder why?

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:01 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An FF dilemma

I don't know if it is still a serious issue, but I think there were problems with the D600 that were supposedly addressed with the D610. I don't know whether you should consider a used D600 at all or not. That could explain the pricing.

Again, I am not the authority on this, but you might want to ask over on the Nikon forum about it, or wait for someone else here that might have first-hand experience with the D600.

Mark

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:52 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · An FF dilemma

I Have a FF 5D MK IV and bought a SL2 as a 2nd camera. For the $511 I paid, the SL2 is a very good buy. The DPAF is quite fast and accurate, its nice to just touch the screen where you want it to focus.

I've taken to using it for casual photos more than my 5D MK IV just because its smaller and easier to use. As long as ISO settings are low, the images are great. It was 1/6th the price of my 5D MK IV and ~1/4 the price of a 6D MK II. That lets you add in a nice lens and still keep to ~ $2K total.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:12 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
Hi all.
I have dunked my 550D in a lake a few weeks ago and unfortunately it didn't make it.
Before that I was quite happy with my setup - 550D+10-18 & 50stm lenses and original M +22 pancake as a second body. What i've missed is a and snappy good AF, fast RAW fps and large buffer.

As I'm in love with 22 pancake my first impulse was M6, it's quicker, sexier and all I need for ultimate happiness is to replace my 10-18 with 11-22... 50mm stm could be used with adapter that I already own.

I'm not a professional photographer by
...Show more

yes, the Canon M6 and 22mm f/2 pancake lens is very nice ... "in love" .... and can easily use DSLR lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:47 PM
DK78

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · An FF dilemma

msalvetti
Yes, probably the "oil on sensor" is the reason. Thanks for pointing it out.

scalesusa
Size, price, DPAF are great (BTW when compared to T2i the new SL2 is not much smaller) but unfortunately the RAW buffer and fps are not a big improvement for MAIN camera.

CW100
I've used a few "normal" primes with my 550D, 35/2, 28/1.8 and also tried Sigma 30/1.4 - but M with 22/2 for $200-300 from Amazon was a revelation!

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:13 AM
DK78

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · An FF dilemma

PS. From what I understand, with a limited budget i have ($1000)- I must choose between a dated and a bit sluggish FF (6D, D610) and much snappy APC-S cameras like 6M or 77D. 77D or may be 70D seems to be a more practical decision ()

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:51 AM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · An FF dilemma

If I only had $1000 and the lenses you mentioned, I would buy a 77D and then start a separate fund to buy a FF in a few years. If you really want to dive in, buy a used 5D 1 for $300 and throw a 50mm on it.

Once you buy a FF body, you are going to want to blow about $2000 just to match the APS-C lenses you mention there.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:48 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · An FF dilemma

The 6D is very good and image quality is excellent. Lightweight body, easy to use and prices are well under $1000 now.

If you want a rock solid pro body cibsuder the 1DMkIII or 1DMKIV. Both are worth the price - which is not $300-500 for the MkIII and $700-1200 for the MiIV. Fast AF and quality images. Not quite FullFrame - but the 1.3 crop factor is easy to live with. 1 Series bodies are great and these sports/wildlife bodies are a good example of how nice they can be.

Given what you say the 6D would do the job well. From night skies to whatever the images are excellent.

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:30 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
msalvetti
Yes, probably the "oil on sensor" is the reason. Thanks for pointing it out.

scalesusa
Size

CW100
I've used a few "normal" primes with my 550D, 35/2, 28/1.8 and also tried Sigma 30/1.4 - but M with 22/2 for $200-300 from Amazon was a revelation!

yes, I believe all wide mirrorless primes are like that - sharp and small and inexpensive. Something about the short register distance in mirrorless cameras
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:07 AM
DK78

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · An FF dilemma

Thanks all!

I think I should feed my FF demon and 6D seems to be the most practical choice.
Any idea when can I get it under $1,000? Fleabay prices are a bit high...
And what are the best Canon UWA-WA lens options except 17-40/4?

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:12 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
Thanks all!

I think I should feed my FF demon and 6D seems to be the most practical choice.
Any idea when can I get it under $1,000? Fleabay prices are a bit high...
And what are the best Canon UWA-WA lens options except 17-40/4?

They're all over the place in the B&S board.

As for UWA, it's hard to beat the 16-35mm f/4. It's an excellent lens at a reasonable price.

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:37 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · An FF dilemma

msalvetti wrote:
I don't know if it is still a serious issue, but I think there were problems with the D600 that were supposedly addressed with the D610. I don't know whether you should consider a used D600 at all or not. That could explain the pricing.

Again, I am not the authority on this, but you might want to ask over on the Nikon forum about it, or wait for someone else here that might have first-hand experience with the D600.

Mark

D600 had shutter problems which resulted in constant buildup of sensor gunk. Nikon fixed this under warranty - don't buy one unless you know the shutter's been replaced.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:35 PM
DK78

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · An FF dilemma

Thanks again!

I think I'll go for good cond. 6D. As for WA - I'll probably get the 20mm/2.8 STM instead of UWA zoom... smaller & cheaper... Hopefully it's a good decision.

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
Thanks again!

I think I'll go for good cond. 6D. As for WA - I'll probably get the 20mm/2.8 STM instead of UWA zoom... smaller & cheaper... Hopefully it's a good decision.

Sorry, what 20mm lens?

Sep 15, 2017 at 05:25 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · An FF dilemma

To make your upgrade worthwhile maybe hold on what you have, save a bit more and get good cond 5D3. it has much better AF than 6D. The very same for Nikon. D600/D610 are OK but not worth it if you can get D750 for a bit more.

Coming from Canon 350D, 40D, 5D2 and now Nikon D750 the biggest difference between Crop and FF camera is much better high ISO performance of FF cameras. Anything else is pretty much the same except FF cameras are more demanding on good quality glass which cost $$$.

Sep 15, 2017 at 05:26 AM
DK78

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · An FF dilemma

Paul Mo wrote:
Sorry, what 20mm lens?

Sorry, EF 20mm f/2.8 USM lens.

milkod2001 Thanks! I'll check them out.

Sep 15, 2017 at 05:54 AM
DK78

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · An FF dilemma

Ok... an update (after a bottle of wine and a few beers).
I thought my 10-18 was not affected by drowning BUT today it's officially dead (with some strange haze inside). So all I got it's M with 22 and 50mm STM.
All I need fom camera is better performance (AF and buffer) than my M and bokeh(I know it's sounds very amateuriSH).
6M + 11-22 cost $300 less than 6D + 20mm 2.8, although for the sake of pixel-peeping satisfaction I can handle it... All I need it's normal & ultra-wide, my mental health is depending on it, help! )))

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:05 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · An FF dilemma

DK78 wrote:
Sorry, EF 20mm f/2.8 USM lens.

milkod2001 Thanks! I'll check them out.

FYI, the EF 20mm is one of Canon's worst-performing lenses by any modern standards. It's a film-era design decades old, and even when it was new, it was not highly regarded.

It suffers from a number of issues, including:

- Poor corner performance at most apertures
- Very high levels of chromatic aberration
- Strong vignetting
- A lack of critical sharpness anywhere in the frame wide open
- Old coatings that increase ghosting a flare

A full frame camera can be a wonderful step up, but I think you will be disappointed with the results from this particular lens.

In a prime, the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS provides vastly better optical quality if the somewhat narrower field of view is acceptable. Or if you have the budget for a wide zoom, the EF 24-70 f/4L IS is among the finest lenses of its type available.

Sorry to be downer, but I have used or owned multiple copies of nearly every Canon prime lens going back decades, and this is the one lens that in which I can find little or no redeeming qualities to balance out its flaws.

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:11 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · An FF dilemma

The 6D probably has the best overall image quality of ANY Canon body, other than the MUCH more expensive 1Dx bodies and the 5D4.

A good used 6D body might be the best practical decision you could make.

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:31 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · An FF dilemma

Get the 6D. Unless you have multiple compelling reasons for moving to Nikon, it's a better idea to stick with what you're used to. The 6D and the 5D3 are very good cameras. I've shot a friend's 6D before just for kicks and I know people who feed themselves and their families with various iterations of the 5D.

If you decide to go back to APSC, the 7D2 is very good, as are any of the Rebels. They provide more bang for buck than any of the Nikon prosumer models in my opinion.

The D600 is cheap because of the oil-on-sensor issue, and the D610, D750, D800, and D810 have pushed its resale value down. Don't be afraid of buying the D600 however. The ones out there that were not affected by recall are doing fine, and the ones that had the repairs done are also doing fine. For image quality, the D600 is quite a bargain.

So, long story short, do the 6D if you've made up your mind about going FF. I happily shoot Nikon (former Canon shooter), and I think it is not in your best interest to jump ship.

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.