New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

Kohala
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

I moved from Canon to Sony some years ago because I'm primarily travel photographer and wanted lighter gear. It seems to me that Sony is increasingly making higher quality lenses that are also bulkier and heavier. I'm considering moving to m43 but would like hear from other Sony users on the advantages and disadvantages. So far I've concluded that compared with Sony, the images from m43 cameras are of poor quality in dim light. They have less depth of field at the same focal lengths. On the plus side, m43 lenses are considerably smaller and less expensive.

Are there other trade-offs? I would like to hear from other Sony users that have considered the move to m43 cameras and lenses.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

From a IQ standpoint and I have seen this for over 40 years . Shot 8x10 film cameras , Medium format backs and everything in between, smaller and every format. When it comes to both film and digital the simple fact is bigger will always be better IQ wise. Some things like DOF and such will differ but the general rule is bigger is better. Some are very close indeed. Personally I would never drop down to M43 having owned Full Frame . Your still carrying gear no matter how you slice the cheese. Granted some systems will be bulkier and heavier so this will be the penalty for the better IQ in systems going up. You can get around some of that weight and bulk. But honestly if you can't walk around with a Sony 55 1.8, 35 2.8 than get another hobby. I'm sorry this weight/size thing has gotten stupid. You want to take pictures that comes with the turf. Otherwise use the iPhone

Money wise your still paying good money for either type of system.

Now I agree some lenses have gotten big but there certainly some like I mentioned that are very small and very light

I'm sure I'll get a bunch of crap for this but I shot some m43 gear and at the end of the day I was still carrying gear and not getting great IQ out of it. I sold all of it. For me if I'm going to shoot than it's not worth my time with less quality. Been doing it way to long to be disappointed.

Not directed at the OP but just general comments

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:01 PM
ediblestarfish

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

Currently my journey is Phone -> Compact -> All-inOne -> m4/3 -> Sony FF Mirrorless -> Fuji X

Honestly I would try and figure out what things you can't do without, and your minimum specs for what you want to shoot for first, to clear up some extraneous choices.

m4/3 -> Sony FF Mirrorless

That was driven by my desire for faster lenses and more dynamic range. M4/3 I find has limits in post processing that I hit quite often, and the faster lenses for the system are at FF prices and sizes. I found the cameras well featured and delightfully compact, except the flagship models, which are surprisingly big.

Sony FF Mirrorless -> Fuji X

I found that FF offered actually... more dynamic range than I could feasibly use in normal-looking edits, and that the cost of maintaining such a high quality system meant a lot of money, and increased size, additional weight. Also find Sony cameras uncomfortably quirky. Not many options for high quality, but somewhat slower AF lenses at more palpable pricing.

So I dropped down to Fuji X with the X-T2, which seems to hit a good middle ground. Fuji's recent cameras have finally hit a minimum level of AF performance I find acceptable, and a few weather resistant primes (16mm, 23mm, 35mm) are now all I use. Downside, at least for now are the lack of good IBIS, and easy to use video. May switch again later, who knows. Nothing's perfect, but quite happy for now.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:05 PM
WestTexas Sky
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

No.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:28 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

Kohala wrote:
I moved from Canon to Sony some years ago because I'm primarily travel photographer and wanted lighter gear. It seems to me that Sony is increasingly making higher quality lenses that are also bulkier and heavier. I'm considering moving to m43 but would like hear from other Sony users on the advantages and disadvantages. So far I've concluded that compared with Sony, the images from m43 cameras are of poor quality in dim light. They have less depth of field at the same focal lengths. On the plus side, m43 lenses are considerably smaller and less expensive.

Are there other trade-offs?
...Show more

Question you need to answer is do you need those big high quality lenses for your application. I travel a lot for my photography and use a Sony A7R2 / A7R with the smaller batis lenses ( 25 & 85 ) supplemented with the Sony 35 2.8 and the Loxia 21 2.8. All together a very manageable kit that delivers very good image quality. I don't need the GM line of lenses for my travels.

I never thought of using an APS-C let along a m43 system as my main camera as the image quality versus weight of the sony A7R2 is really ideal. I fear dropping in sensor size will lead to giving up image quality which I don't want to do.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:28 PM
grahamgibson

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

I upgraded to an A7 after shooting m43 for five years. Now I have an A7rII. I think you've recognized the main tradeoffs--m43 kits can be much smaller/lighter and less expensive, but the FE system has superior image quality and DOF control. I've thought about trading back down to m43 now and then (the A7rII is pretty hefty). But I really do like the image quality and look I get out of a full frame sensor, and Sony's Eye-AF is great for capturing my young one.

One way I've kept my Sony kit smaller is simply shooting primes and cropping when needed. The A7rII can create a very nice 18MP 1.5x crop. Shooting the 55/1.8 on the Sony can basically replace shooting a Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 AND a Nocticron 42/1.2.

There's always the option of mix/match where it makes sense too. Get a GM1 and a couple primes for a small side kit to have alongside your FE gear. I have an RX100ii for when I can't be bothered to bring my A7rII. I'm pretty happy with my FE system at the moment though, and I can usually choose to just bring 2-3 lenses with me to keep my kit at small as possible when traveling.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:36 PM
Mark_EL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

My move was basically the other way around. Well sort off anyway.

I was shooting with FF DSLR's for years already when I decided to buy something more compact to be able to take with me more often. (only for personal stuff, I kept working with FF Canon gear for payed work)

So in 2013 I bought a m4/3 camera, an Olympus OMD-EM5. I used that camera for a couple of years with lenses like the Pana-Leica 25mm f1.4, the Olympus 12mm f2, Oly 45mm f1.8 and later the 12-40mm f2.8 PRO. So, a good camera and good lenses. Still, I could not really get used to the drop in image quality compared to my FF Canon gear. Thats why I decided to jump ship to Sony last year. And now I am even thinking of going completely Sony and drop Canon too.

I gave my OMD- EM5 with the 25mm to my wife. She absolutely loves that camera and makes very good use of it. But then, she never worked with FF camera's and has lower expectations then me...

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:56 PM
Kohala
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

GMPhotography wrote:
From a IQ standpoint and I have seen this for over 40 years . Shot 8x10 film cameras , Medium format backs and everything in between, smaller and every format. When it comes to both film and digital the simple fact is bigger will always be better IQ wise. Some things like DOF and such will differ but the general rule is bigger is better. Some are very close indeed. Personally I would never drop down to M43 having owned Full Frame . Your still carrying gear no matter how you slice the cheese. Granted some systems will be bulkier
...Show more

Good grief, I asked what I thought was a fair question. It doesn't deserve your nasty comments (e.g. "Otherwise use the iPhone".

My gear includes the following:
A7RII
Batis 85 1.8
Batis 18 2.8
Sony 90 2.8 G
Zony 24-70 f/4
Batis 25/f2
Sony 55 1.8
Sony 35 2.8
Minolta High Speed APO 200mm with Sony adapter.

On vacation I take the following: Batis 25/2 and 18 2.8, Sony 55 1.8 and the Minolta 200 with adapter. Most of this gear is comparatively lightweight and easy to carry overseas. But the Minolta is a bear to carry. The new Sony 100-400 is too heavy for me to use. It would be nice to have a lens with a longer reach. The m43 seems to have good quality zooms and longer primes which might be suitable in a travel kit. Obviously. GM Photography disagrees.

Any other views out there?

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:15 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

Far from being nasty . Whatever

It's the truth they taken over the world . If you want a real camera it's more work more weight more size. Obviously more cost but it's the dedication to it but you can get some smaller lenses

Don't like my answer than don't ask the question. I'm far from nasty actually completely the opposite. I'm over they lazy I don't wanna work at it that I keep reading all over the place.

Do me a favor put me on your ignore list. But calling me names is against the rules.

Kohala wrote:
Good grief, I asked what I thought was a fair question. It doesn't deserve your nasty comments (e.g. "Otherwise use the iPhone".

A7RII
Batis 85 1.8
Batis 18 2.8
Sony 90 2.8 G
Zony 24-70 f/4
Batis 25/f2
Sony 55 1.8
Sony 35 2.8

On vacation I take the following: Batis 25/2 and 18 2.8, Sony 55 1.8 and the Minolta 200 with adapter. Most of this gear is comparatively lightweight and easy to carry overseas. But the Minolta is a bear to carry. The new Sony 100-400 is too heavy for me to use. It would be
...Show more

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:19 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

You aren't going to find many people in the Sony forum who are willing to give up FF, and it sounds like you are aware of the advantages of the larger format. I shoot both systems, if I had to pick one it would be a tough choice.

The size advantage really comes into play with the lenses. Sure lenses like the 55 1.8 aren't huge, but I can fit 4 m4/3 lenses in a bag I would use to carry 2 full frame lenses. I can carry a camera and 3 lenses all day and never feel it (usually the 12mm f/2, 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/1.8).

Maybe I'm a heretic, but I see lots of photos that are technically perfect but not interesting at all. I still think content is king, and I've found m4/3 gets me the shots I want. A small system I can carry all day, anywhere. IBIS that is so good I rarely need a tripod. Fast and accurate AF. Swivel and tilt touch screens. Customization that makes the camera just work the way I want. All things I appreciate about the system.

I'll admit sometimes I have that voice in the back of my head telling me there is something better I could be using (this forum certainly doesn't help with that ). That being said, I don't think I've ever come home from shooting with my OM-D and wished I used something else.

Best advice I think I can give is to rent a camera and a few lenses and see how you like the files.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

engardeknave
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

I've never understood the concern over weight in the context of cameras that weigh a few pounds at worst. What would the difference in weight be between a Sony or m43 kit with comparable lenses? A pound? Do you believe that this change will impact your productiveness or enjoyment to any notable extent?

Edit: Then again, if you don't do much in post, most of the full frame advantage is not really applicable.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:42 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

engardeknave wrote:
I've never understood the concern over weight in the context of cameras that weigh a few pounds at worst. What would the difference in weight be between a Sony or m43 kit with comparable lenses? A pound? Do you believe that this change will impact your productiveness or enjoyment to any notable extent?

Edit: Then again, if you don't do much in post, most of the full frame advantage is not really applicable.

Where I notice weight differences is when I'm carrying the camera / lens all day either around my neck or hanging off my wrist. I came from using a 5D2 and noticed right away how much lighter an A7R outfit was to carry all day long.

Try tying a pound weight to your wrist for the day and I bet at the end of the day...you will notice it.

Carrying an extra pound or 2 in my pack is not the issue...it's carrying it on the camera.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:53 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

I have considered m43 again, but I have abandoned the thought. I think that size and weight are valid concerns, but they can be adressed also with a 35mm format system. Sony and Zeiss make both big and heavy lenses as well as smaller lenses. It's also posdible to adapt lenses, so I am happy with my Sony 35mm format system. Look for Sony 28/2, 50/1.8, 50/2.8, 85/1.8, Zony/Zeiss 35/2.8 and 55/1.8.

Do remember that a 16mp m43 sensor and a 24mp APS-C sensor have approximately the same pixel density. Adding a Sony APS-C body may be the best solution to the weight conundrum, since you can keep using your existing lenses and maybe just add one or two APS-C lenses for when you need to travel light.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:53 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

I "moved" from Nikon FF to Panny m43.

Very happy - Leica lenses with great Bokeh (for a price); focus stacking in body for macro; xlnt stabilization (better than Nikon's) and image quality is just fine for any screen even a TV

the only downside is lower DR

"moved" means I sold my D10 but kept a DX body (with GPS) and expect to buy another FF body just for near car use on landscapes...

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:57 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

Why would you carry a camera on your wrist or neck all day? And why wouldn't you change this behavior if it's causing an issue?

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:04 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

engardeknave wrote:
Why would you carry a camera on your wrist or neck all day? And why wouldn't you change this behavior if it's causing an issue?

When I'm traveling I have my camera ready to shoot. That's roughly 12 hours a day for 3 to 4 weeks.

I tried the side holders but just did not like them. I now have a nice wrist strap that I use to carry my camera. I also have a 2nd camera hanging off my belt using a Peak Design holder.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:24 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

engardeknave wrote:

You can't take photos when the camera is in the bag. Using a lighter camera system is changing behavior.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

Kohala wrote:

A7RII
Batis 85 1.8
Batis 18 2.8
Sony 90 2.8 G
Zony 24-70 f/4
Batis 25/f2
Sony 55 1.8
Sony 35 2.8

On vacation I take the following: Batis 25/2 and 18 2.8, Sony 55 1.8 and the Minolta 200 with adapter. Most of this gear is comparatively lightweight and easy to carry overseas. But the Minolta is a bear to carry. The new Sony 100-400 is too heavy for me to use. It would be
...Show more

I don't think Guy was being nasty at all. I agree with him. Having also gone myself from extensive use of view camera to make money in architecture (with 35mm for slides of details for quick color separations and presentations), I think the a7R and a7R2 is about as small as I can seriously consider going for work and personal shooting. Otherwise, I break out my Canon G1X or S110, and finally my smart phone. Right now I'm waiting for a decent smart phone image maker -- so far I haven't seen one that was any better than for small Facebook posts.

So, no M4/3 is not a great idea (I have one left with several lenses that I never use). Sounds like you have a pretty good system and might enjoy a Sigma or Metabones adapter for some Canon lenses like the 40 STM. Personally, I recommend getting a couple Loxia lenses for small package, personal control, and great imaging.

I will resist posting a snarky winking happy face.

(Oops, epic fail. Sorry!)

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:31 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

chez wrote:
I never thought of using an APS-C let along a m43 system as my main camera as the image quality versus weight of the sony A7R2 is really ideal. I fear dropping in sensor size will lead to giving up image quality which I don't want to do.

engardeknave wrote:

These two partial quotes basically summarize my position, too. But, to each his/her own and YMMV.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:36 PM
r2015

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Has anyone considered moving from Sony to m43 gear

Like most such decisions it depends what you are trying to do. I have kept my A7II and a mix of Sony and legacy lenses (mostly OM) for trips when I am going out for "serious" landscape photography. I would never want to give up FF completely. But I recently got an OM-D E-M5M2 for general use. The Zuiko 12-40 is a wonderful lens and though it means the camera+lens is only a bit lighter than the A7II+lens (and a bit smaller) the weight saving really kicks in when you add a couple of telephoto zooms. For birds, MFT 75-300 is FAR, FAR lighter than the equivalent 150-600 zoom on the Sony and the Olympus stabilisation means that in practice I get a better hit rate. A 40-150 MFT lens is also much lighter than the Sony 70-200 f4. The 75-300 is also not bad for semi-macro shots of bugs, and it goes in my pocket when not in use. Try that with the Tamron 150-600! Again, if I take the FF, 150-600 plus tripod, the potential for higher quality is there, but that has to be balanced against weight and hit rate.

I am sure I can push the FF files further in post-processing, cropping is easier, and when it all comes together it gives better quality, which is why FF is better when this matters. And for extreme wide-angle, the Olympus has nothing to match the A7II+Voigtlander 10mm combination. But much of the time, the MFT is more than enough. Camera and 3 lenses all go in a tiny bag that I can grab easily when photography is not the main goal of a trip.

Sep 13, 2017 at 09:49 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password