end

Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

Sir_Loin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

dhphoto wrote:
You want Canon to come up with something that 'will blow you away'

Why? What is wrong with the gear you already have? Why do manufacturers somehow have to do something magical when all they really want to do is sell cameras, which Canon are spectacularly good at doing already?

Or is this just that you are bored and want something to excite you? I doubt Canon are very bothered about that.

Maybe try Sony.

Give it up my friend, it's just my opinion. I want to be excited by a camera manufacturer I've used since the 80's. No more, no less and I certainly don't want to change brands.

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

gdanmitchell wrote:
It is interesting to take your lead and look back to that pre-DSLR film era.

Indeed, there were innovations back in the day. AF was one. Built-in TTL metering was another. We can think of others.

Over a period of many years an individual company might have come up with one or perhaps a couple of those. But they did not all come from one company.

And they certainly did not appear at the rate that we seem to imagine we can sustain today.

On the subject of "cameras that will blow us away," a few observations. First, that is a pretty rare
...Show more

I like your response and reasoning and agree with everything you say. Perhaps I'm just looking for that thrill of something revolutionary to say "wow" like I did many times years ago. Perhaps I'm just an old fossil?!

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

Sir_Loin wrote:
I like your response and reasoning and agree with everything you say. Perhaps I'm just looking for that thrill of something revolutionary to say "wow" like I did many times years ago. Perhaps I'm just an old fossil?!

I hear you. ;-)

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Colin F
• • •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

Put yourself in the camera company's shoes for a moment, and hopefully it can be appreciated just how difficult it would be nowadays to come up with something revolutionary.

Edited on Sep 23, 2017 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:30 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

Why not just rejoice in and use the gear you already have and how lucky we are these days?
I do.

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:35 PM
bluejbill

p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

I'm not really looking for innovation, I'm just looking for an offering that moves the chains far enough up the field that I want to buy it. I really like the physical features of the 6DII a lot, flip screen, DPAF etc, but the fact that the IQ doesn't seem much of an advancement has me sticking with the 6D for now. Of course I usually skip generations anyway, but I was moving towards breaking that rule if the new type sensor was available with the other features. Anyway I would still recommend that camera for someone looking to move into full frame inexpensively.

Happily I need a small travel cam, and the SL2 or the 77D will give me a lot of those features and an improved sensor. I think the crop cameras of this generation, while again maybe not innovative, are compelling choices with feature sets we could have only dreamed of five years ago.

In terms of what the company offers and why should they care about my particular needs, of course, they don't need to, and I can vote with my pocketbook. But selfishly, I want Canon to keep upping their game because I want them to continue to be successful and continue to offer products that I and many others want to buy. I have real worries about Nikon as a going concern, and I don't want to have those worries with Canon.

Sep 23, 2017 at 09:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

https://newint.org/blog/2017/09/14/consumerism-disappointment

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:50 AM
ggreene
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

stevesanacore wrote:
Ask yourself this question - if you could start over from scratch today, would you buy Canon or Nikon or Sony, etc?

I shoot sports/equestrian for 90% of my work. If I was starting over fresh today I would probably still choose Canon as on balance they offer the best system for me.

Sony isn't there yet at the 1DX2 level. Their bodies while feature laden are a joke in terms of rugged/reliability. Nikon is still the most tempting of the two competitors but I've never quite liked their ergonomics.

This could change in a year or two. Let's see what Sony does with an A9mk2 just ahead of the Tokyo Olympics. By that time they will probably have fast sport primes as well.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

stevesanacore wrote:
Ask yourself this question - if you could start over from scratch today, would you buy Canon or Nikon or Sony, etc?

Over the years, I've bounced between Nikon and Canon.

Way back, I bought my first Canon A-1. Man was it laden with the goodies (for the time). Then it crapped out on me (electrical). Had it repaired. Traded to Nikon FE, with nary a feature one, and lived on the FE up until digital.

Bought Nikon first (D70s) and switched over to 1D MK II (been building on Canon glass ever since) and Kodak SLR/C.

That said ... Sony would not be on my "from scratch" list, as the (mostly electronic / computer) feature laden aspect doesn't overcome the ergonomics, build, etc.. It certainly would be on my "wait & see" list (still is to a degree). EVF vs. OVF (pro's con's both ways) also factors in, etc.

The other thing you have to ask yourself is what are you using it for. If I were setting up in the studio where I'm tripod oriented and not changing things around very often at all ... then, the Sony might make a more compelling aspect since ergonomics and build aren't of the same consideration as other field work might be.

But, if you really look at a system "from scratch" ... that is, the WHOLE SYSTEM ... that you are going to make an investment into. You have to evaluate how much that system accommodates YOUR NEEDS. With that in mind ... Sony gets ruled out pretty quickly for me (ergonomics is currently toast). I could go with Nikon or Canon based on bodies, but when it comes to glass, Nikon and Canon have some differences in their approach to glass, that I favor Canon.

Many years ago, Nikon won the day. Today, Canon wins the day (for me). Tomorrow ... who knows, maybe Sony wins me over. But, today ain't that day.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:11 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

dhphoto wrote:
In what way? Modern dslr's are the finest photo-making tools in the history of everything, they can do astonishing things in low light, with high FPS and now with vast memory cards. Picture taking has never ever been so easy.

Changes are incremental because they are so good already. If you can't shoot good pictures with modern cameras it's not the camera's fault

There is no question that all the latest cameras from Canon, Sony and Nikon etc. are excellent. It's more about a comparison between them that makes it seem that Canon has some catching up to do in a few ways. Of course, it also depends on what type of photography you do. Canon used to be the leader in innovation which is why they are still, (as far as I know), the most popular brand among pros. They crushed Nikon when they released the 1Ds, (I was a Nikon user before that), then the 5D and then the 5Dmk2 (with video). Those were ground breaking bodies. If I were to start again today, I'm not sure which direction I would go and that surprised me.

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:42 PM
wesley lee

p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Article posted on Dpreview re: Canons lack of innovation

The issue isn't really that Canon can't innovate. It can indeed. It has done 120M pixel sensors with 1M ISO, 8K video and 14 stop dynamic range. The question is -- Why the heck can't they put in in a entry-level Rebel and sell it for under $1000!

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:43 PM
1       2       3              13      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password