New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

tung256
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

i see in the FS section, a lot of 6500 being sold.
what's going on? a newer model coming out?
im still stuck on canon and lenses. and the only thing holding me back is the autofocus from dual pixel for video.
but the 6500 is very tempting for low light....

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:05 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

4DAF object recognition tracking system is in different league compared to lower level dual pixel AF. Don't let it stops you, 4DAF is smarter in both stills and video while other does little tricks only in LCD configuration.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM
tung256
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

i did not know 4daf is superior to dual pixel af.
in most youtube videos, the reviewers actually preferred dual pixel

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM
dgpfotografia
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

tung256 wrote:
i see in the FS section, a lot of 6500 being sold.
what's going on? a newer model coming out?
im still stuck on canon and lenses. and the only thing holding me back is the autofocus from dual pixel for video.
but the 6500 is very tempting for low light....

Or I missed a rumor, but the only camera expected is the A7 III, although nobody was expecting the 6500 when it was announced...

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

I actually tried a 6500, 3 primes and a zoom recently. It went back. Don't care for the layout. And frankly my RX10MkIII looked better to me on screen. I ordered a MkIV as no doubt it will easily fast track as well as a 6500, and I just prefer the files. Go figure.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM
1texasaggie
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

i see in the FS section, a lot of 6500 being sold. what's going on? a newer model coming out? im still stuck on canon and lenses. and the only thing holding me back is the autofocus from dual pixel for video. but the 6500 is very tempting for low light....

No rumors that I've seen yet for an A6500 replacement. From various threads around the web, I've seen a number of comments from A6500 owners looking to step up to full frame...primarily still photo performance.

Depending on which Canon body you use, low light video performance is about the same on the A6500 as either the FF 5D3 or 1DCs 1.3x 4K crop factor. The big difference comes from the A7S II, which is in a league of its own.

I decided not to upgrade either of my Canon bodies to one with DPAF b/c the A6500 has never missed focus for me and easily mounts on a compact gimbal. IBIS is another A6500 feature that's a game changer b/c I can easily get nice handheld footage (no gimbal) when paired with an OSS lens...never been able to get close with Canon IS.

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:31 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

Don't know, but I'm glad they are. I was able to pick up an A6500 for a good price, and consider it a great camera to complement my A7R2.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:02 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

traveler wrote:
I actually tried a 6500, 3 primes and a zoom recently. It went back. Don't care for the layout. And frankly my RX10MkIII looked better to me on screen. I ordered a MkIV as no doubt it will easily fast track as well as a 6500, and I just prefer the files. Go figure.

We know RXseries has packed with latest improved stack BSI sensor, AE/AF, frame rate and I/O speed tech. Interesting too see if 1" sensor is closing the IQ gap when compared to its brother bigger size sensor. I am anxious waiting to see the MkIV IQ & AF review now. This baby A9 maybe all I need beside my lowly A7R.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:41 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

That's basically what happened to me. Had a A7R2 and X-T2 and top glass. My acquiring a RX10MkIII was intended for travel, but when I used it on a Zion National Park visit as the main camera on that trip, the files blew me away I realized I tend to prefer a larger depth of field, and that Zeiss lens on that bad boy delivers that in spades. I can get great bokeh as well as macro like shots.....all without ever changing a lens. For me it's be my ONE and only camera, and now with the MkIV that will take over.

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:32 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

Everyone selling their mint/new d810*

fixed it for you

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

gocolts wrote:
Don't know, but I'm glad they are. I was able to pick up an A6500 for a good price, and consider it a great camera to complement my A7R2.

Not sure what a 'great price' is, but a quick look seems like one saves $100 buying an a6500 used. Saving just $100 for a (good condition) camera considering warranty depletion/possible difficulties, potential fraud/delivery issues, plus some amount of wear and tear doesn't sounds remotely attractive when I can have a new one in hand in 48 hours, shipped free.

On the other hand, Fred just sold his a6500, so the new a6700* must be on deck!!

* Featuring global silent shutter wih zero blackout and unlimited buffer, AF that reads horizontal lines instead of just vertical, shutter speed not capped at 1/4000, and released with the first new Sony APS-C lens in years (a reformulated 16-70/4, this time a baby GM and without all the drama).

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

I have considered selling my A6500 but only to help justify the purchase of an A9. I still hesitate because sometimes having that 24 megapixel 1.5 crop sensor comes in handy. But I primarily use it for wildlife and some occasional sports and The A9 is very tempting. I originally disliked the layout of the A6xxx cameras with the one wheel, but I did find that it was much easier to use the camera with the after market grip attached. I still wish that Sony would redesign the A6xxx with a joystick and second wheel for easier handling.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:42 AM
idsurfer
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

Chuck Coyne wrote:
I have considered selling my A6500 but only to help justify the purchase of an A9. I still hesitate because sometimes having that 24 megapixel 1.5 crop sensor comes in handy. But I primarily use it for wildlife and some occasional sports and The A9 is very tempting. I originally disliked the layout of the A6xxx cameras with the one wheel, but I did find that it was much easier to use the camera with the after market grip attached. I still wish that Sony would redesign the A6xxx with a joystick and second wheel for easier handling.

I've got my a6500 configured where anything in need is in fn menu and custom buttons so it's a pretty easy shooting experience. However, another wheel and Joystick would improve things A lot. Fully articulating screen and I'd be one happy shooter. In fact, I'd upgrade for those features alone.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:36 PM
C_n_red_again
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

Big fan of mine. Got it off this board for 1000 in good shape. Great compliment to my ff.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:51 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

Parariss wrote:
Not sure what a 'great price' is, but a quick look seems like one saves $100 buying an a6500 used. Saving just $100 for a (good condition) camera considering warranty depletion/possible difficulties, potential fraud/delivery issues, plus some amount of wear and tear doesn't sounds remotely attractive when I can have a new one in hand in 48 hours, shipped free.

On the other hand, Fred just sold his a6500, so the new a6700* must be on deck!!

* Featuring global silent shutter wih zero blackout and unlimited buffer, AF that reads horizontal lines instead of just vertical, shutter speed not capped
...Show more

Based on B&H's current prices, I saved $400 from new, and it's in mint condition. Bought on these boards. Good news is that if the supply of used A6500's increases, prices should continue down some.

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:44 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

Parariss wrote:

* Featuring global silent shutter wih zero blackout and unlimited buffer, AF that reads horizontal lines instead of just vertical, shutter speed not capped
...Show more

The a6500 is quite a nice camera. I think about $1250 is likely to be close to the going price for a good used one. These cameras are at most about a year old, so they are pretty new, and most are owned by amateurs and have seen careful handling. I put mine up a few days ago, but I am having seller's remorse already and I'm thinking of taking it down. If I do go ahead and replace my Canon 100-400 II, which I have sold, with the Sony 100-400, the a6500 would give me a 600mm fov for a cost of $1200--plus all the other times when I might want to take a light kit or super autofocus. I don't use video, so that is not a factor for me, but for many others the the excellent video is also a very desirable feature.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

There was also a recent sale where you got the a6500 and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for something like $1,399, so some of those folks might be selling, also

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:30 AM
thenoilif

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

It's a great 1-2 punch with the A7Rii but both have their flaws as individual cameras.
If I didn't have the FF lenses I wouldn't care much for the a6500 because outside of the Zeiss 24 their cropped lenses aren't that great. But put a FE 55 1.8 or one of the Batis lenses on there and it's a nice camera. Thing is, many people buy these cameras because they want to travel light and not have to buy the expensive and heavy FF glass so its understandable that people may be inclined to get rid of them after some use. If I was strictly looking at cropped sensor ILC I would actually go with a Fuji for this very reason.

Outside of the lens selection, I also don't think that the AF accuracy is as good as say the A7rii. It can be quicker in some applications as in when you have a decent amount of light but overall I find that I get much cleaner shots from the FF camera (after adjusting for the higher MP).

All-in-all, it's a technological marvel and I think they can really have something great with that line if they invested more in good lenses and refined the usability to be more photographer centric.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:15 PM
idsurfer
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

thenoilif wrote:
It's a great 1-2 punch with the A7Rii but both have their flaws as individual cameras.
If I didn't have the FF lenses I wouldn't care much for the a6500 because outside of the Zeiss 24 their cropped lenses aren't that great. But put a FE 55 1.8 or one of the Batis lenses on there and it's a nice camera. Thing is, many people buy these cameras because they want to travel light and not have to buy the expensive and heavy FF glass so its understandable that people may be inclined to get rid of them after some use.
...Show more

I agree that there isn't a great selection of APSc lenses for the a6xxx line of cameras. Fuji definitely has more to offer. I have the Sony/Zeiss 24 and it's fantastic. Re the 55/1.8, I did some fairly extensive testing between it and the MUCH less expensive E 50/1.8 APSc and for the life of me could not tell much difference. I don't currently have an A7x camera or for that matter any FF body (have had several in the past, not currently). My suspicion is that the 55 shines on FF, but IMO is nothing to get too excited about on the cropper. I have noticed this to be the case with some canon gear in the past, i.e. the EF85/1.8.

Regarding AF between the A7rii and the a6500, I think you would be in the minority as most of what I've read is that the 6500 clearly out performs the A7rii.

I agree that it isn't really photographer centric and that the Fuji is a much nicer shooting experience. I've gotten used to mine but it still isn't that fun to use.

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:02 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · everyone selling their mint/new 6500

gocolts wrote:

Yep. I use an A6000 as my backup camera during travels. Perfect backup...very compact and uses everything my A7R2 does ( batteries, chargers, cards, lenses ). The camera fits into my pack without taking up any real space nor weight.

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.