New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Benedictine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

For some months now I have been exclusively using a Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM eschewing all of my other lenses for serious photography work with excellent results both in colour and monochrome on my 70D. So much so that I am wondering whether or not to sell most of my other lenses! I have the following lenses & Extender:
1) Canon 50mm 1:1.8 II
2) Canon Macro EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 USM
3) Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 DC HSM
4) Samyang Fisheye CS 8mm 1:3.5
5) Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
6) Canon EF-75—300mm Zoom 1:4—5.6 III
7) Jessop Extender MC X 2

All of these I use occasionally but probably not enough to keep them except perhaps the 75—300 zoom. For the rest they are nice to have but I am wondering if to sell them and put the proceeds towards a better zoom or even sell the 24mm as well and buy a Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM. I could always keep the extender! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:03 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

How's the focusing on the 24 STM?

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:10 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

I find it very good indeed and almost always use Auto. The above photo is one example and here is another. Hope this helps.
Andrew-Bede

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:16 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Have to say these pictures look soft

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:17 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Soft? Please explain.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:41 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Sorry but hang on a minute. I was not asking for a critique of the photos! Rather annoying that we have strayed into this sort of comment.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:43 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

If yo' be groovin' da 24mm vibe, off da lot 'n git ya da freakin' EF 24 1.4L II. King 'o the 24mm hill but mo' kick arse.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Gochugogi wrote:
If yo' be groovin' da 24mm vibe, off da lot 'n git ya da freakin' EF 24 1.4L II. King 'o the 24mm hill but mo' kick arse.

I thought this forum was restricted to the English language.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

I realise you are not asking for critique and have no wish to offend but I also find the images rather soft.

Perhaps it is a problem with resizing for the web but in the second shot the bark of the tree looks sharper than the boys face.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Clicky94 wrote:
I realise you are not asking for critique and have no wish to offend but I also find the images rather soft.

Perhaps it is a problem with resizing for the web but in the second shot the bark of the tree looks sharper than the boys face.

Agreed, although nothing looks particularly sharp. I have no experience with that lens so I can't say if that's expected or something else. Also, I'm not a big fan of wide angle lenses for portraits. Even though its a crop sensor, the lens is still a wide angle and too easy to distort body proportions.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Okay I give up! I regret having posted in the first place. How th heck can I delete this whole thread because nobody seems to be interested in what it is about except to critique my photos. Unbelievable!

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

The 24mm STM is a good lens for typical wide angle use, but not of the quality of the "L" series lenses, by far. There are a lot of cut throat posters here, but the image is soft to my eyes as well. When you ask about a particular lens and the post pictures taken with it, you are sort of asking for critiques, through convention.

Back to your question. I think you are mistaken in your view of just having one or two lenses. If you are satisfied with the IQ of the 70D/24mm STM combo, then you would be happy with the EF-S 10-18mm STM as well, and the telephoto you want to look at the EF-S 55-250mm STM. Those three lenses, and perhaps the Canon Macro EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 USM for specialized macro and general purpose would round out your collection at minimal cost and the 55-250mm STM, in my view, is much better than the 75-300mm you have now.

This website is not for the timid. You have enough posts to know the routine here. It's very critical and full of "nitpickers".

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:19 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

If the photos look like your examples as seen on the web, I'd sell the 24mm. As others have commented, these are not sharp. That's either a problem with the lens, the photographer, or web conversion. From what we have here, we can't tell. But in any case, if you like the 24mm angle, I'd suggest you look at other options.

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:26 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Benedictine wrote:
Okay I give up! I regret having posted in the first place. How th heck can I delete this whole thread because nobody seems to be interested in what it is about except to critique my photos. Unbelievable!

You post awful examples and list some lenses. So what exactly?
The 75-300 is pretty much the worst tele zoom Canon has ever made yet you want to keep that
the EF-S 24mm is a good lens yet your images are soft as butter.

What do you want? I have no idea.

This website is not for the timid. You have enough posts to know the routine here. It's very critical and full of "nitpickers".

That's just nonsense. This site was designed for professionals and experienced amateurs and is by far the best photo site on the net. Ask sensible questions and you will get help from very knowledgeable people

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:30 PM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Thank you booster and GC5, at last some advice.The perceived unsharpness is I believe a combination of web conversion and my processing. Obviously the nitpickers have higher standards than I do. It all makes me very reluctant to post again. Both of these photos are heavily cropped, that may be a factor.

Please end this discussion. Tanks.

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:34 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Your welcome Benedictine. Like I said, there are a lot of posters here that have short tempers and really do take offense to you even posting here unless they feel that you are up to their standards. If you aren't, you'll get treated like you did here as you were scolded for not asking "sensible questions" (that's a direct quote).

For you to open a post with questions, and get shamed away to the point you are begging to close the post and wish you'd never posted here is a problem. That's what I was talking about, and it didn't take long to prove it. Closing it is probably best.

Good luck with your endeavors. The EF-s 55-250mm IS STM can be purchased through Canon directly at their refurbished site for under $140 including tax, and I've seen them go for even less there. That is a great bargain. For the 50mm, I would sell it and get either the 40mm STM or the 50mm STM. The pancake 40mm STM is the same size as the 24mm STM and is a pretty good deal.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:19 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

My post was written to be the gentlest way I could broach the subject of soft images at the time - with the intention of helping.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:24 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Clicky94 wrote:
I thought this forum was restricted to the English language.

Practicing the American Redneck Creole I learned in New World linguistics class. But I added "arse" for our friends across the pond.

I own an EF-s 24 2.8 STM and it's sharp even wide open, well my copy at least. Didn't need AFM on my 70D or 80D either. The pancake form factor was a nice novelty but I seem to prefer the EF 24 2.8 IS USM. Yes, it's a bit heavier and larger but the IS feature makes a huge difference in low light. Plus, focus is faster and more sure-footed and USM doesn't reset focus like STM lenses.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Gochugogi wrote:
Practicing the American Redneck Creole I learned in New World linguistics class. But I added "arse" for our friends across the pond.

Ah, that explains why "arse" was the only part of your post that I understood

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:28 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

I know the OP wishes to end this thread so if he doesn't want to reply then perhaps someone else could answer a nagging query I have about the first image.

The exposure information shows it was taken at ISO 1600 with -5 EV compensation. I can't understand the logic of this would it not be easier to reduce the ISO or am I missing the point.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:36 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.