Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Alaarx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Would anyone else like an optically stunning, slow zoom? I find myself shooting at F5.6 or slower most of the time and don't really want to drag around the GM and pay for the speed in optical compromise and weight.

Sony I will settle for a really stunning 24-70 / 4 GM if you're listening and Zeiss won't come to the table.

Batis 28-70 F4.5 APO
Minimal distortion
Internal zoom mechanism
Sub 500g weight
Great sealing

I would change systems and pay 2.5k for such a lens. Throw in the Batis 85 and I'd be done.

EDIT: Zeiss if you're listening I'll even take 35-70 and manual focus. I'm not chasing the impossible here!

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:41 AM
genji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Sign me up for a Loxia 35-70mm (or better still a 28-70mm) f/4 zoom!

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:54 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Ill take it in Nikon or Sony flavours (sorry Canon).

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:56 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

I'm so sick and tired of seeing HUGE offerings of glass that dwarfs Sony A7x bodies. Not everyone wants fast - especially us landscapers. Like you I shoot f/5.6 or slower. I also prefer MF instead of AF. 2.5K for a superb slow zoom would be great. I paid more than that for the Leica WATE and would love to see a MATE made for the A7 series cameras.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:34 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

I actually shoot all kinds of subjects I'm just not really into the blurry look. This is a problem that seems to be faced across systems as all the fancy glass and great designs / build quality are saved for the 2.8 zooms or the bokeh machines like the Nikon 105mm 1.4.

That being said I understand that these lenses are far more interesting to most people as background obliteration gives instant gratification to those who have just put down their hard earned $$$.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:40 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Any love for 28-45 f2.8?

That should be able to be made small, and f2.8 is fast enough to replace primes a loyptbof the time, 28-45 is a range of wide to normal that allows in camera cropping...

Think of it as a remake of the old OM Zuiko 28-48. (Though that was f4)

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:01 AM
Vcize
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

I've often wondered how small they could make landscape specific lenses. For instance how small could they make a 14-24, 24-70, and 70-300 if they were all f8?

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:04 AM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Leica has a 28-35-50 F4 multi-prime. Performance is about as good as Mandler-era primes in the respective focal lengths and aperture (which is very good), but it's (1) a delicate and damage-prone lens, (2) discontinued since 2009 and (3) around $3,500 used.

...but I agree. I'd buy a 24-75mm F5.6 that's <300g.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:06 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

DavidBM wrote:
Any love for 28-45 f2.8?

That should be able to be made small, and f2.8 is fast enough to replace primes a loyptbof the time, 28-45 is a range of wide to normal that allows in camera cropping...

I would prefer longer and slower. If I'm paying top dollar for optical perfection I don't want to be cropping away half the pixels. Im also a bit old fashioned and like composing in the viewfinder instead of shooting wide to crop.

As said before, I don't need 2.8. I'd also carry a short tele for the very rare moment where someone wants the shallow DOF look. Its not my style though.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:10 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

dbehrens wrote:
I'm so sick and tired of seeing HUGE offerings of glass that dwarfs Sony A7x bodies. Not everyone wants fast - especially us landscapers. Like you I shoot f/5.6 or slower. I also prefer MF instead of AF. 2.5K for a superb slow zoom would be great. I paid more than that for the Leica WATE and would love to see a MATE made for the A7 series cameras.

The funny thing is its not even really about size or weight for me. Sure id like it to be lighter (but thats more about overall balance that weight) but ill pay a penalty for stunningly good performance. If Nikon made something like this id get a D850 and happily lug it around the world. Even the best 24-70 zooms can't touch the best primes in colour rendition, rendering or aberration control, stopped down or not.

You pay a lot for speed.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Alaarx wrote:
I would prefer longer and slower. If I'm paying top dollar for optical perfection I don't want to be cropping away half the pixels. Im also a bit old fashioned and like composing in the viewfinder instead of shooting wide to crop.

As said before, I don't need 2.8. I'd also carry a short tele for the very rare moment where someone wants the shallow DOF look. Its not my style though.

I wasn't suggesting one would crop such a lens.
My point was the opposite: if one thought of a lens like this a kind of 28mm prime that you don't have to crop in post it would for many images have higher Rez than a prime.

Need you image to be 40mm aov? Using this would give you Bette tsukts than cropping a 35. Need 32mm aov? Instead of cropping 28 in post use this.

I'd like f2.8; but if you dont I'd still keep it to 28-50 f4 to be sure of getting modern top prime quality in a not too huge package....

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:32 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

OH yes for Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 N i would switch my
Camera System. Its Not the Best in every single aspect but in total very very good.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:48 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Going for a long hike in the Alps today and will take the 24-70GM as I find that with the right strap that the weight just isn't an issue (and I'm in my 60's and not as fit as I used to be).

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:13 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

I'd love to retire my Contax 3.4/35-70 but I still don't see an alternative except of the 2.8/24-70 GM that reminds me of a baseball racket.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:14 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Do you guys wanting a small fast zoom really need full frame? Maybe what you really want is a small sensor with better dynamic range and enough pixels to support your printing needs. Perhaps you don't need the large image circle?

Edit: not to start a brand war, but doesn't Fuji offer a nice sensor with similar DR with a very nice 16-55 (24-85) lens that is almost ideal here?

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 07:38 AM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:32 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Lots of love from me for a 28-45/2.8 if the filter thread was no greater than 58mm.

DavidBM wrote:
Any love for 28-45 f2.8?

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:34 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

I would like a 24-70 f4 in the size of the sony e mount 16-50mm they give you with the a6xxx cameras.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:34 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

virtualrain wrote:
Do you guys wanting a small fast zoom really need full frame? Maybe what you really want is a small sensor with better dynamic range and enough pixels to support your printing needs. Perhaps you don't need the large image circle?

I do. I have read all the reports about not being able to tell a difference until you hit big prints but I think I can even on screen. I think larger sensors just have a certain clarity and transparency. Maybe its all in my mind and a placebo who knows, I certainly can't give you a technical reason why. I don't think I've ever seen a Fuji shot (maybe its the filter) that doesn't look tonally squashed.

Id rather have a great sensor and average glass stopped way down than vice versa.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:35 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Viramati wrote:
Going for a long hike in the Alps today and will take the 24-70GM as I find that with the right strap that the weight just isn't an issue (and I'm in my 60's and not as fit as I used to be).

Its not that you can't get great results with that lens (or any!) of course you can. However for example the Loxia 50/2 performs better than the GM and its an older design AND F2. Imagine the performance you could get in a smaller package by going F4 or slower and throwing some real money at the design.

There are heaps of options out there, I just wish that a lens like the one I have described existed for convenience sake.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:39 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I would really love a stunning IQ, slow normal zoom.

Maybe there is a market for Loxia 35-70/3.4
28-70 would be better
24-70 with same quality like the Contax 35-70/3.4 would be fantastic.

I'm a happy owner of the Contax 35-70/3.4 lens.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password