New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Going to Italy for three weeks later in the month. Flying in and out of Milan. No real set plans but I usually wing it anyway. My plan is to fly into Milan, head to the Lake Como area, then head back to Milan for a flight to Sicily, and work my way up the western coast of the country I get back to Milan for the flight back. Never been to the country so plan on doing the usual spots (e.g. Rome, Naples, Venice, Pisa, etc.). My usual travel gear kit is the 5D4, 16-35 IS, and 70-200 f4 IS, along with my filters and Gitzo travel tripod. I hear that some places may not allow tripods and/or backpacks. I plan on bringing a GorillaPod Focus as well for those times, with everything stored in my Osprey 36L backpack.

For spots where I cannot bring a backpack, are there storage lockers where I can store my bag on the spot? In these cases, I would bring my messenger bag with the gear in there. It would be unfortunate if I cannot visit a place just because I have nowhere to store my backpack.

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:22 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Churches, museums, etc. will not allow tripods and may not allow backpacks. Usually there are places to check things but they may be attended checkrooms. If so you may not be comfortable leaving camera equipment. When there are lockers they may or may not be large enough for a tripod.

I recall taking a couple pocket-sized lenses in addition to a normal lens. A fisheye may be useful for some interiors. A 100 mm-ish macro lens is enough for many details and usually is fast enough for interiors.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Yes, generally churches and museums do not allow tripods or backpacks. Unfortunately, some places do not allow photos at all inside. For instance, inside San Marco Basilica in Venice and in the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican photography is forbidden.
I took a D600 with Sigma 24-105 attached, and a 70-200 f2.8 in a Think Tank Speed Freak and had no problems going anywhere. I only brought my tripod when I was walking around and seeing the sites. If I was going to a museum or church, I would leave the tripod in my hotel room.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Thanks for the info! I'm debating whether to bring my GorillaPod Focus or not, for times when I can't bring a tripod in.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:19 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

It couldn't hurt to bring it. I did bring a Platypod with me as well. Used it a couple times where I was able to set on the back of a church pew for a long exposure.
Enjoy your trip! I loved it there and can't wait to go back.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:00 AM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Ryukyu wrote:
It couldn't hurt to bring it. I did bring a Platypod with me as well. Used it a couple times where I was able to set on the back of a church pew for a long exposure.
Enjoy your trip! I loved it there and can't wait to go back.

Thanks for the info!

Usually, I like to leave most of my vacation unplanned as far as the logistics, but have a general idea of what I'd like to do. Three weeks, flying in and out of Milan. Plan on hitting up the Lake Como area and some of the towns, Cinque Terre, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Pompeii, Naples, and hiking a few of the volcanoes in the south. I am cramming in a lot I know but that's how I roll haha

Thanks again!

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:05 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password