New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Going to Italy for three weeks later in the month. Flying in and out of Milan. No real set plans but I usually wing it anyway. My plan is to fly into Milan, head to the Lake Como area, then head back to Milan for a flight to Sicily, and work my way up the western coast of the country I get back to Milan for the flight back. Never been to the country so plan on doing the usual spots (e.g. Rome, Naples, Venice, Pisa, etc.). My usual travel gear kit is the 5D4, 16-35 IS, and 70-200 f4 IS, along with my filters and Gitzo travel tripod. I hear that some places may not allow tripods and/or backpacks. I plan on bringing a GorillaPod Focus as well for those times, with everything stored in my Osprey 36L backpack.

For spots where I cannot bring a backpack, are there storage lockers where I can store my bag on the spot? In these cases, I would bring my messenger bag with the gear in there. It would be unfortunate if I cannot visit a place just because I have nowhere to store my backpack.

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:22 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Churches, museums, etc. will not allow tripods and may not allow backpacks. Usually there are places to check things but they may be attended checkrooms. If so you may not be comfortable leaving camera equipment. When there are lockers they may or may not be large enough for a tripod.

I recall taking a couple pocket-sized lenses in addition to a normal lens. A fisheye may be useful for some interiors. A 100 mm-ish macro lens is enough for many details and usually is fast enough for interiors.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Yes, generally churches and museums do not allow tripods or backpacks. Unfortunately, some places do not allow photos at all inside. For instance, inside San Marco Basilica in Venice and in the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican photography is forbidden.
I took a D600 with Sigma 24-105 attached, and a 70-200 f2.8 in a Think Tank Speed Freak and had no problems going anywhere. I only brought my tripod when I was walking around and seeing the sites. If I was going to a museum or church, I would leave the tripod in my hotel room.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:52 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Thanks for the info! I'm debating whether to bring my GorillaPod Focus or not, for times when I can't bring a tripod in.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:19 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

It couldn't hurt to bring it. I did bring a Platypod with me as well. Used it a couple times where I was able to set on the back of a church pew for a long exposure.
Enjoy your trip! I loved it there and can't wait to go back.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:00 AM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Ryukyu wrote:
It couldn't hurt to bring it. I did bring a Platypod with me as well. Used it a couple times where I was able to set on the back of a church pew for a long exposure.
Enjoy your trip! I loved it there and can't wait to go back.

Thanks for the info!

Usually, I like to leave most of my vacation unplanned as far as the logistics, but have a general idea of what I'd like to do. Three weeks, flying in and out of Milan. Plan on hitting up the Lake Como area and some of the towns, Cinque Terre, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Pompeii, Naples, and hiking a few of the volcanoes in the south. I am cramming in a lot I know but that's how I roll haha

Thanks again!

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:05 AM
redhed17

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

I know you are going to Venice Ming, but I hope you got to the Cinque Terre too. Manarola is so photogenic, but all the towns have something about them.

If you haven't been to Pisa yet, you can't take a backpack up the tower, but they give you a locker to put your backpack in while you go up there.

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:18 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

I've only been to Italy one week, and have spent a day in Milan, a few in Varenna/Bellagio at Lake Como, and a few days in Bologna.

Will be in Venice for three nights, then off to Catania where my plan is to hike the four volcanoes (Etna, Vulcano, Stromboli, and Vesuvius). I'm going to work my way up from Sicily, hitting up Naples, Rome, Florence, Pisa, and Cinque Terre. Depending on time, I may go from Cinque Terre to the Emilia-Romagna region (Bologna, Modena, and Parma), and eat my way back to Milan for the flight back haha

My plan for Cinque Terre is to hike the Red Trail, but kinda unsure of the logistics. I think it's a long trail so want to spread it out over a few days. What do people normally do? Stay in one town, hike part of the trail, and then take the train backwards? And then, in the morning, take the train where I left off at the trail, and continue hiking? Just not sure how to go about experiencing the towns, hiking the trail, and having bags with me. I only have a backpack and messenger bag, but ideally would not like to carry that with me on the trail.

redhed17 wrote:
I know you are going to Venice Ming, but I hope you got to the Cinque Terre too. Manarola is so photogenic, but all the towns have something about them.

If you haven't been to Pisa yet, you can't take a backpack up the tower, but they give you a locker to put your backpack in while you go up there.

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:55 PM
redhed17

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

I went to Naples in August, after forgetting how much I disliked the place the last time. :-/ Not an attractive city in many ways for me. :-/ Be careful on any packed public transport.

The same in the Cinque Terre, it is amazing, but you do have to aware of your belongings on the trains if they are packed. I've stayed in Corniglia and Manarola twice. I travelled between the towns via train, as some of the short walking routes between the towns were closed, and have been for awhile. You may find it hard to find somewhere to stay at a reasonable price in any of the towns if you haven't sorted it already, as it is extremely popular, though should be getting a bit quieter after the mid summer crush.

It is so popular that they are talking of limiting the numbers of people who visit every year, so costs may be about to rise as access becomes limited.

Not sure which route the Red route is, but I did the one from Monterosso - Vernazza, thankfully on a dull hot day, but it nearly killed me. But then I am a fat middle aged man. ;-) You sound fit and healthy.

A lot of the shorter routes are closed, and have been for awhile. Just tried to see which the red route was, and saw that a number of the routes have been closed recently, but I'm sure you'll check before you get there.

Be careful on the train from Pisa to Florence if it busy too.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Interesting to hear your comments about Naples. I've always heard the food is good there, but nothing much about the city itself.

redhed17 wrote:
I went to Naples in August, after forgetting how much I disliked the place the last time. :-/ Not an attractive city in many ways for me. :-/ Be careful on any packed public transport.

The same in the Cinque Terre, it is amazing, but you do have to aware of your belongings on the trains if they are packed. I've stayed in Corniglia and Manarola twice. I travelled between the towns via train, as some of the short walking routes between the towns were closed, and have been for awhile. You may find it hard to find somewhere to stay
...Show more

Oct 04, 2017 at 05:47 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

I have been to Italy quite a few times, and I would never go without a fast lens for interiors. Your zooms are f:4.0, whereas you can get a nifty fifty for very little cash, and it is light and small as well.
As regards places where photo is not permitted, the Sistine Chapel in particular, this remains purely theoretical, because everyone is in there shooting their smartphones. I thought you should know this not because I encourage such behavior, but because you should make up your own mind on whether you want to be the only one to "play by the rules", or not.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:39 AM
redhed17

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Interesting to hear your comments about Naples. I've always heard the food is good there, but nothing much about the city itself.

I'm not a big 'foodie', and generally do my trips as cheap as possible. That said, the Pizza's were lovely, and very apt seeing as Naples is seen as the 'home' of Pizza. They were very cheap too. Lol I was staying in the next street to the Pizzaria Brandi, which claims to be one of the oldest pizzerias.

If you do an image search for Naples you will not find that many different images. It is not a very attractive city imho, and there are no standout buildings, bridges etc to take pics of as you may get in other Italian cities. I didn't find the people I encountered friendly or very helpful. I asked for a ticket to Capri for example, was given a ticket to Ischia, and when I asked whether I was getting on the ferry to Capri was told it was 'yes'. Not happy when I got to Ischia, which I had planned to know the next day.

Photographer's better than me may be able to get many nice pictures, and I hope they do. :-)

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Tyl3n0L
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Hey, hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread.

I'm also planning my first trip in Italy (December 24th to January 5th)

We're staying 2 nights in Venice, followed by 2 nights in Florence and 7 nights in Rome. Me and my wife are backpacking it and I was wondering if I should even think about bringing my DSLR? I was planning of only using my phone for the weight saving and convenience (Google Nexus 6P)

However I'm now inclined towards my DSLR in fear of regretting not bringing it...

That's my gear:
D800 + Battery Grip
Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR,
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Nikon 105mm Macro f/1.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II

inside my "main" backpack I'll have a smaller day bag that about 14L which I'll use for jacket & gear.

I was thinking of bringing the D800 without the Battery Grip, 16-35mm, 85mm and Gorilla Pod.

What do you guys think? Should I even bother?

Nov 16, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Tyl3n0L wrote:
Hey, hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread.

I'm also planning my first trip in Italy (December 24th to January 5th)

We're staying 2 nights in Venice, followed by 2 nights in Florence and 7 nights in Rome. Me and my wife are backpacking it and I was wondering if I should even think about bringing my DSLR? I was planning of only using my phone for the weight saving and convenience (Google Nexus 6P)

However I'm now inclined towards my DSLR in fear of regretting not bringing it...

That's my gear:
D800 + Battery Grip
Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR,
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon
...Show more

No problem with the thread hijack!!! After having spent five weeks in Italy a few months ago, here are some thoughts and suggestions. Hopefully, others with more experience can chime in.

- As far as your itinerary, I enjoyed Venice the most out of those three cities, followed by Florence, and then Rome. But different people enjoy different things. Out of curiosity, why are you spending a relatively unbalanced amount of time in Rome compared to the other cities?

- I was backpacking as well and brought along my Canon 5D4, 16-35, 70-200, filters, tripod, etc. for the entire trip. It was heavy but not too bad. I did a few hikes with the gear and that's where I felt the weight, but if you're just city walking, I don't think the weight of a DSLR is that bad. But that's just me. I brought an Osprey 36L backpack and an Osprey messenger bag for my trip. The messenger bag wasn't ideal so your day pack should be good, as long as you're not over-stuffing it with gear.

- If you'd rather save weight and not bring the DSLR, that depends on your priorities. At the end of the day, I brought the DSLR instead of the mirrorless because I figured I'll never go back to Italy again so better to get the hi res shots with the 5D now than regret it later. But that's just me and my twisted logic lol

- The gorilla pod is a great call. I left mine at home and opted to just bring a tripod. The tripod was useful when I went city exploring in the middle of the night in Venice and Rome, but I could've used the gorilla pod in churches because of the low light and flexibility and moveability of the pod.

- Personally, I left the 16-35 on my camera 95% of the time. I had to bust out the 70-200 maybe twice to shoot details of churches in Rome and other places.

Whatever you do, enjoy the trip and don't bring too much gear!! I went in late September and into October, and it was hot temperature-wise in Rome. Venice was a bit windier because it's near the water but I was surprised how warm it was in Rome. Also, if you and your wife are up for it, I would explore Venice and Rome at night. It's a totally different experience in the dark when no one is around. Venice in particular was more amazing at night than in the daytime, and I loved it in the daytime.

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:50 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Unless you are really happy with cell phone shots, I'd say to take your DSLR. There are so many great things to photograph.
Venice was by far my favorite city. As Ming said, definitely make sure to explore at night. Also I would recommend making a reservation with Venice Bites. It's a 3.5/4 hour walking tour of Venice where you're taken to off the beaten path types of little restaurants, bakeries, wine shops, etc. and you sample the food. There's a lunch tour and a dinner tour. Highly recommended! In Rome, try to get over the the Trastevere area. Great restaurants!
I was there in June and took a D600, Sigma Art 24-105 f/4 and a 70-200 VRII. Mostly used the 24-105, but did get a few good shots with the 70-200.
If it was me, I would take the 16-35, 50, and 70-200.
I love the look from the 70-200 enough to accept the weight of that thing:

Nikon D600     f/16    122mm     ISO 100

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:54 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

I was in Italy for a month in Sept-October. My 2 cents: forget the tripod for interiors. Tripods are prohibited almost everywhere. Maybe a gorilla pod or small clamp would be helpful. Ultrawide for interior shots is a must.

Crowds are pretty bad, even when I went which was not peak time. Venice is very crowded when the hordes are disgorged from the cruise ships. Early in the morning and late at night are best.

Many will disagree, but Cinque Terre is overrated for photography. There are not that many photo opportunities that are not really touristy or cliche at this point. I enjoyed my time there but took few photos. Walking the trails between villages is nice but not photogenic. I suggest leaving the camera behind and enjoying the views and food.

We enjoyed Naples. It is a country unto itself. Worth the cost of a long taxi ride which I think is as close as it gets to a real life Formula 1 experience.

Italian food is overrated. We did enjoy it, had some excellent food (both at restaurants and from private chefs) but Italian food is all you will get. You won't find anything other than Italian food sans the occasional Burger King. No Indian, Thai, Mexican, etc. The food choices are remarkably homogeneous. Pizza is good so long as you want Napoli pizza every time. It's as if they have national pizza regulations that prohibit any variation. It is good, just invariable.

As for Milan, the Milan Hilton is a nice place to stay. It is good as far as Hiltons go. Breakfast is one of the better Hilton breakfasts. The executive lounge is one of the better Hilton lounges. It is easily walkable to and from the main train station. Also, you can leave luggage there for free so long as you have a subsequent reservation. We flew in/out of Naples because we got a good deal on flights there, but we used Milan as a hub and stayed at the Hilton 3 times, leaving some bags there each time.

Trains in Italy are excellent. We had no problems with security anywhere in Italy, even when wandering around some seedy areas of Naples (in daytime). Airbnb's and VRBO's worked very well in Italy.

Nov 17, 2017 at 05:11 AM
Tyl3n0L
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

No problem with the thread hijack!!! After having spent five weeks in Italy a few months ago, here are some thoughts and suggestions. Hopefully, others with more experience can chime in.

- As far as your itinerary, I enjoyed Venice the most out of those three cities, followed by Florence, and then Rome. But different people enjoy different things. Out of curiosity, why are you spending a relatively unbalanced amount of time in Rome compared to the other cities?

- I was backpacking as well and brought along my Canon 5D4, 16-35, 70-200, filters, tripod, etc. for the entire trip. It was heavy
...Show more

Hey thanks for the information!

We're staying more nights in Rome because we thought there's more things to see and we wanted to take our time there. We're also planning a day trip from Rome to Pompeii which apparently takes the whole day. We're also planning to see AS Roma on the 30th and even if we're not Catholic, we're planning to see the Pope on January 1st.

With that said we're also open to do some day trip from Rome if there's anything nice to see around it. I heard the trains are great so we're definitely open to see something else! Is there any nice parks or city/town nearby Rome worth traveling to?

Thanks for the tips about visiting a nighttime, I'll add that to my list! After seeing some quality pictures with proper gear I must say I'm more and more inclined to bring my stuff with me. However I think the 70-200 would be too much to carry around... As you said, I'm sure the 16-35 will stay on the vast majority of the time and the 85mm which is fairly small will do the trick for some zoomed pictures.

If I bring my DSLR I will definitely look for a proper strap/sling instead of the standard one... I read a bit about them and it seems the Peak Design Slide is the best choice. Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2017 at 02:00 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gear for Italy + Locker Rental?

Tyl3n0L wrote:
Hey thanks for the information!

We're staying more nights in Rome because we thought there's more things to see and we wanted to take our time there. We're also planning a day trip from Rome to Pompeii which apparently takes the whole day. We're also planning to see AS Roma on the 30th and even if we're not Catholic, we're planning to see the Pope on January 1st.

With that said we're also open to do some day trip from Rome if there's anything nice to see around it. I heard the trains are great so we're definitely open to see something
...Show more

The trains are fantastic all throughout Italy, so no worries about that. I went to Pompeii and wasn't too impressed, but still glad I went. I think I was just Italy-ed out at that point so take my words with a grain of salt lol. Pompeii will probably take the whole day, especially if you're starting from Rome, which is further away than where I started that day trip (e.g. Naples). If you have the time, maybe you can also do Herculaneum, which is on the way to Pompeii by train. Herculaneum was another city destroyed by Vesuvius, and from what I've heard, it's more preserved than Pompeii and definitely less crowded. I didn't choose to go though. Another popular thing to do in that area is hike up Vesuvius, which I didn't do either.

I didn't do any day trips from Rome so can't comment there.

Like I said, if you're up for it, Rome (and Venice) in the middle of the night is another world compared to during the day. I actually prefer exploring at night. Seeing the Trevi Fountain, Colloseum, and other landmarks with no one around were quite wonderful. Also great for long exposure shots. Being from a big city, my first concern with walking around by myself at night is always safety. And I felt completely safe at night in Rome and Venice. I do have to admit that walking at night by myself in Venice took some getting used to, due to a combination of relatively narrow and winding streets/alleys, absolutely no people, and the lack of any sound whatsoever (outside of water flowing down the canals). For the first 20-30 minutes, I had to keep looking over my shoulder because it felt like Jack The Ripper was going to pop out somewhere lol

Most of the time, I didn't keep my camera on a strap in Italy. Usually in the bag and brought it out when necessary. As far as straps, Peak Design gets great reviews. Actually just pre-ordered the Slide and Slide Lite through their most recent Kickstarter campaign. I have the Black Rapid sling, which is good for its purpose. But intrigued by the Peak Design. If possible, I recommend going to a store to try out the straps, or order from Amazon and test it out. If you don't like it, Amazon has a great return policy as long as you purchase from Amazon.com and not a third party seller.

Nov 17, 2017 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password