New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

hmmm the bokeh look smooth and has the swirley bokeh... only thing we need to know is 1.4 sharpness, and CA perfomance.

watch @ 0.49 sec

" target="_blank">

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:37 AM
kirbic

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

I'm loving it... in all probability, I'll be jumping in on this one.

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:46 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

it reminds me of Otus...not sharpness the Otus bokeh. I like it so far.

if this one is sharp wide open & atleast on par with sigma 85 Art... almost no CA... surely I will pick this one up.

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:50 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

want

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:12 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

I think the swirl is a combination of background choice and the fact you're going to get 'cats eye' shaped OOF specular highlights due to mechanical vignetting. Sounds like Canon's design team was very conscious about keeping the lens as reasonably compact as possible for their optical objectives. Likely some mechanical vignetting was a necessary compromise. Also, based on the MTF chart, there is some sagittal and tangential divergence towards the frame edge, which may result in less-smooth image rendering in those areas.

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:26 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

Calling Brandon Dube....Brandon Dube where are you?

We enjoy your knowledge of lens design...

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:30 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

sirimiri wrote:
Calling Brandon Dube....Brandon Dube where are you?

We enjoy your knowledge of lens design...

ha ha haha...

on the other side... This is Sigma's fault, they provoked Canon to build another 85mm with 1.4 and then put in IS, which Sigma didn't about.

from Adorama's samples looks like there are no CA.. but really hard to tell. Sharpness? I hope it's on the same level as the 35mm 1.4 L mark II.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

bushwacker wrote:
it reminds me of Otus...not sharpness the Otus bokeh. I like it so far.

if this one is sharp wide open & atleast on par with sigma 85 Art... almost no CA... surely I will pick this one up.

The following is funny to me:

In Canonland: The new L has cat's eyes and swirly bokeh = Awesome!

In Sonyland: The Batis 85 has cat's eyes and swirly bokeh = Bad!

I actually don't have a strong position on the matter (I own the Batis 85mm), but I find the contrast funny. I also don't see it as a Sony vs Canon thing, so much as that the higher end, pricier offering tends to have its characteristics lauded as advantages rather than deficits. I think it's a bit of a price bias thing. Personally, I don't find the swirly bokeh a big deal in any way... sometimes I kinda like the look, and sometimes I find it distracting. Same with cat's eye bokeh... depends on the placement, magnification, and lighting.

Either way... this 85L 1.4 looks great to me!

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:44 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

Looks awesome, but I've yet to really need IS on my faster glass, especially my portrait lenses.

I really like the rendering of my sigma art 85 f1.4 and it's wicked sharp wide open, so not really tempted to switch it out especially with the premium of L glass..

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:09 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

Real professionals don't use lenshoods...

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:59 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

sungphoto wrote:
Looks awesome, but I've yet to really need IS on my faster glass, especially my portrait lenses.

Kind of agree on the need for IS in this lens. Generally the mass of the 85/1.2L is such that it dampens things well and I can go fairly low in shutter speed. But recently I shot a wedding where the reception was in a large open room with dark brown wood walls and a black ceiling that pretty much negated the use of bounce flash. Setting up off-camera flash on light stands was also difficult due to table placements and other factors. I ended up shooting available light and at times it was ISO 6400 1/60 f/1.2. While trying to quickly grab reaction shots of family members I found I wasn't as good as I should be about keeping the gear steady. It's a situation where IS would have helped since the subject matter was pretty much stationary. I could use IS more in the 135L, but IS is still a reason I'm getting the new 85. Even if I don't really need it that often and other aspects such as rendering character differs somewhat from the 85/1.2, there will be times when IS will make a difference.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:12 AM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

I suppose the only thing that might sway me to ditch my Sigma Art 85 is if the new Canon L 85 f1.4 IS has more consistent autofocus accuracy, in AI Servo mode in particular. I find that this is my only real criticism of the Sigma - though I have yet to do AFMA on them with the dock which may help.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 85mm 1.4 L [ First look ] smooth & swirley bokeh

Got to laud Canon for so many EF lenses. However I will stick with my 85 mm F1.8 and 85L.

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password