Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

charlyw wrote:
Any of the current ones. last one I tried was the A9 which was supposed to be so much better - well it isn't! The EVF suck and introduce eye fatigue problems for me, within minutes my vision starts to be impaired because of nausea followed by the onset of a migraine... Even in my company there are 3 out of 20 people that have the same problem. So I am not alone. EVF for me thus are a gruesome mess but even without those problems (my eye doctor supplied an explanation but suffice it to say that it's not
...Show more

Most (if not all) of the camera manufacturers buy their EVF's from one company (Epson Seiko) but source their signal processing hardware separately - so you see different levels of EVF performance from the various mirrorless brands. I haven't used the A9, but the rest of the Sony models have very poor EVF's compared to the Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic cameras I've used - so presumably Sony is cheaping out on hardware no one sees. The Sony EVF's just can't deliver a sharp enough image to accurately determine focus, and they seem to not be able to display more than about 5 stops of dynamic range (contrast range). The result is a mushy image with blocked up shadows and/or blown highlights - not much good for anything more than rough image framing (and not even good for that on a bright sunny day because you can't see anything that is in shadow).

Until EVF's are improved in these critically important areas, I will stick to an optical viewfinder.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:16 PM
tsangc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

Paul Mo wrote:
We're seeing that a bit with Canon. While there are exceptions the 16-35 f2.8L III and 35 f1.4L II are overpriced. Sure they've cleaned up the corners of the UWA (while having -4 stops of vignetting) and Canon have been addressing build quality - moving into a new era of conscientiousness. But those prices? A bit too steep.

I shouldn't say too much in general...just too much for me, as an amateur. I don't do this for a living, so it's hard to justify so much money for incremental performance or feature gains. I just paid $600 to get a bird out of my attic. Call that a BIV shot (Bird in Vent) so...other pressing things need to be paid for.

That said, I suspect all of Canon's equipment for SLRs will only get more expensive to recoup engineering and production costs spread out over fewer purchasers as consumer photography disappears to smartphones.

I bought both my 5D1 and 5D2 at significant discount, one used in 2008, three years after launch at $1400, and the other in 2011, the month after the 5D3 was announced, as an open box demo at $2000. So maybe a used 5D3 or 5D4 is what I'll look at in the next couple of years. I'm not in any rush now that I have this 7D2.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:31 PM
level1photog
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

charlyw wrote:
Why would you do something like that if you are interested in AF performance and handling - because then you will effectively jump over a cliff edge with a steep fall to a far lower level of ability, especially at composing images with the shoddy EVF - you no longer can evaluate a scene to determine which area to expose for, you are becoming 100% reliant on a dumb ass automatic exposure which gives you a greatly reduced view onto the scene...

The hypothetical mirrorless camera that made me want to switch would have similiar AF performance to 5D IV if not better. Sony A9 is showing great promises especially for my needs. I wouldn't dismiss what the future hold for mirrorless camera. Even with DSLR, I've had to calibrate my lens so it works well. Once Canon/Nikon jumped into professional FF mirrorless game, they would iron out alot of qualms about AF problem. Sony might even addresses even more quirks with their AF with their recent progress with A9.

EVF in the A9 is pretty good with OLED screen. I imagine in the future, these area would be even better. 5DIV and traditional DSLR have their limitation especially in bright sunlight. We might hybrid EVF. None of these are deal breaker for me. I'm not planning to switch anytime soon. Just wishful thinking of features that's mature before I make the switch since I'm using it for weddings. No time to be guinea pigs.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:31 PM
level1photog
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

tsangc wrote:
I would love to upgrade to a 5D4 but there's no feature which would make me jump at this point. The price at $4500 CAD is simply too much..

There are plenty of gray market version for $2750 and even cheaper used. I bought mine new from authorized retailer in Canada for $3200 from CanonPriceWatch. I wished the gray market version was available when I bought it.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

molson wrote:
It's a shame that you have to spend $6000 to get entry-level AF performance from a Sony, though.

I know. Amazing to see in this day and age a premium model such as Sony crippled and handicapped by such poor implementation of a basic technology, isn't it

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:15 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

I have read elsewhere that it can be difficult to impossible to see the effects of a circular polarizer through an EVF. I can say that I couldn't see any changes through my Sigma sd camera. Maybe if I was looking at water I could see a change, but nothing for any color changes.

Sep 13, 2017 at 09:51 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

molson wrote:
Me too, but the lens would have to be a 12-800mm f1.4 DO IS (and be no larger than the 40mm f2.8 STM).

That'd be perfect.

molson wrote:
If you think those particular Canon lenses are "overpriced", how do you explain the stratospheric prices of the inferior Nikon and Sony versions?

I know. I feel sorry for them.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:26 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

It's a pity that an interesting thread had to be ruined and turned into brand bashing and flame war... again.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:01 AM
tsangc
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

level1photog wrote:
There are plenty of gray market version for $2750 and even cheaper used. I bought mine new from authorized retailer in Canada for $3200 from CanonPriceWatch. I wished the gray market version was available when I bought it.

Sadly that's $3200USD, which still is around $3900CAD. Plus taxes, which in Ontario would make it $4400CAD. The way I see it, that's a good chunk of a used 500mm f4 for example.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:12 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

level1photog wrote:
EVF in the A9 is pretty good with OLED screen.

So it's a screen that will decay with time as the organic compounds age...

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

karlfoto
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

I am still using my 5dii, mostly happy with it, but an upgrade would be good due to the camera age. It would most likely be the 5div when the prices get a bit better.

However, if canon released a ff mirrorless, that used ef lenses, 50mp, 8fps, with a similar, but smaller form factor to the 5div and a evf that was better than the Leica SL and had the same dr as the present sony cameras. Well all the boxes would be ticked.

One can dream of course!

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

Canon to partner with Sigma and produce updated "super Foveon" sensors for Canon bodies.
The Sigma Foveon sensors definitely shoot above their weight and would be great in Canon bodies if they could be tweaked for better high ISO settings.

Between Canon and Sigma they could probably do it.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:33 PM
level1photog
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

Our DSLR shutter will have to be replace eventually too. I shoot 2000-3000 shots per wedding. And aot of technology have limitations as well such as SSD with life cycle. Technology will get better. Do I worry about that? Nope.

charlyw wrote:
So it's a screen that will decay with time as the organic compounds age...

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:10 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

Daniel Smith wrote:
Canon to partner with Sigma and produce updated "super Foveon" sensors for Canon bodies.
The Sigma Foveon sensors definitely shoot above their weight and would be great in Canon bodies if they could be tweaked for better high ISO settings.

Now that would be awesome.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

Daniel Smith wrote:

+1

IIRC Canon a patent (applied for ) for a tiered / layered Foveon style cfa / sensor. It's been a few years back, and I've not heard anything regarding it, but it's kinda like stair-stepped "Lego's" @ one step for each channel R/G/B.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:39 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

7D2 and 5D4 owner. I'm not using the 7D2 very much since getting my 5D4. Considering having 2 FF bodies. Toying around with maybe a 5DSR for landscape and architecture. Might be overkill forms needs. A 6D might be enough. Not sure what to do.

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:51 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

Someone leaving me $10,000 of mad money.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:20 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

I made the mistake of switching once, and found out that there are lots of issues that the specifications do not reveal, and in my case, those were deal breakers. Then, there was the matter of poorly performing lenses (that has been addressed now).

I don't see myself even considering a switch, its not a matter of money, but of performance of the whole system.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:34 PM
wonderer
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What would it take you to switch/upgrade?

Better access to my preferred subjects: birds and wildlife. While I've considered upgrading (currently shooting 5D3, 7D2 and most often 1D4), I've come to realize my limitation probably isn't gear. There's lots of good habitat around here but I'm never going to sneak up on my subjects without them knowing and leaving prior to me getting the shot.

Upgrading lenses is a possibility, but remote (my longest is the 500 II and I have both the 1.4 III and the 2.0 III).

For the time being, most of the time I'm convinced I've got good gear. I've got to learn to use it better but more importantly, get it closer to the subjects that are around me.

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:43 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password