New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

First day of School!

Cougar281

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First day of School!

I don't post much (to be honest, I don't think there's much that I get that's really 'noteworthy', but others might disagree...). but like I suspect there are others like me, I like taking pictures and would like to improve and get to taking pictures that are of real quality.

That being said, two pics of my beautiful little girl, taken with my Canon 70D and 24-105 f/4L IS II:

The first day of school?!?!?

I got this!

Certainly open to criticism, as that is what makes anyone better.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:01 AM
01Ryan10
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First day of School!

Well...this is your child, so any image of him/her, (sorry, the hair throws me off), and you'll have an emotional connection and bias towards. As a person that has no connection, I'll give you criticism, because you asked for it, and also suggestions for improvement.

Just to preface my comments to come, almost everyone will tell you these are "snapshots". That generally means there was little to no effort or knowledge of photography technique. With that said, and you looking to get "better", I can only assume you want suggestions to improve your portrait work.

First...Be aware of the surroundings to your subject. Try to make a decision if the surroundings improve the image and not add as distraction.

Second...Just a very broad general rule of thumb, but research or watch videos on "rule of thirds".

Third...With the exception of perhaps fashion photography, camera mounted flash is not particularly good for portraits.

Fourth...Be cognizent of your subjects appearance...in your childs case...messy hair. Now there are instances when you want messy hair, but I don't think it adds to the images here.

Fifth...These images come with a story. Try to portray that more with props or surroundings that tell the story more clearly rather than explaining it. Now...this advice takes a lot more planning, and isn't always necessary, but if you want to improve, this is just another option.

More specific to the photos...mouth wide open and looking straight down the double barrel booger maker is probably not a good look, even for kids.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:07 PM
Cougar281

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First day of School!

I guess I did ask for it lol .

To be honest, I don't shoot much in the way of people - most of what I do is landscapes and nature/animals. For the most part, any 'people pictures' I take are generally limited to family. For what little it's worth, of the handful of Animal/nature pictures I've entered in the county fair, I've never come away with less than first place - the one I got of the Blue Angels came away with Best of Show. I know, not worth a ton, and certainly not of the same caliber as many here, but it's there. I get lucky and get good photos from time to time.

As far as these go, I see your points and will certainly take them under advisement because I do want to improve any photography I do (been dabbling in it for quite a long time, just never took the big plunge to really dive in head first), but I feel a few of your comments (while good comments), don't fully apply to these particular photos - specifically where you are more or less likening them to something akin to Senior or Wedding portraits. These weren't really meant to be in that category - they were more 'in the moment as it happens' type images (These were taken heading out to the car to go to school). A little harder to plan and frame every detail. And let's be honest, portraits similar to a Senior portrait are going to be a challenge with a toddler . We've tried every time my family and I are together to get family portraits with her and her cousins (ages 1, 3.5, 11) together, and boy is that one tough. Practically have to Photoshop four separate shots to get a good photo.

As far as her hair, I don't disagree, but unfortunately, she won't let us do anything with it. Ponytails, bows, headbands, all come out within seconds. Brush her hair all nice and neat and it's messed up within a minute. And it's so fine, the slightest gust of wind a *POOF* instant mess. So for now, I don't have much choice but to roll with it.

As far as her mouth and nose, I don't entirely disagree, but at the same time, the first is an expression of surprise, so how many ways can you capture a toddler with an expression of surprise? Now, if she was just showing off the food she had been chewing, TOTALLY different story (Of course I wouldn't be taking a picture of THAT lol). With the nose, again, don't disagree, but dealing with a toddler in the moment, you can't say 'that was pretty good, but hold that look (or give me that look again) and look down a little so the picture isn't looking right up your nose'.

I suspect that if I were to take and post something that was meant to be a true, honest to goodness portrait of a subject (or subjects) that were much more tame and cooperative, it would probably hold up to scrutiny at least a little better than these.

But again, I will certainly look into your comments, and hopefully improve my photography all around.

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:03 AM
MikeMancil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First day of School!

With children you have to use the "shotgun" method. Take tons of shots on high speed shutter and just pick the one that's best, and sometimes you don't even get one. These will make good entries into the family album and everyone will get a real laugh... someday .

That said, she's a cutie and, I interpret, quite a character. The cars don't bother me too much since it's a first day of school setting, but you need some Roundup on the driveway ... Mike

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vcook
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First day of School!

This post should be titled, "candids of my daughter before school". I'm with @01Ryan10 in that these are snapshots. They're fun captures to be sure but the title leads you to believe that these will tell the story of the first day of school and they don't. They're fun but there is tremendous room for improvement in all the things already mentioned.

I've done first day of school pictures of my kids since they were in preschool, just a little bit of planning and the pictures themselves sell the narrative.

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:27 PM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First day of School!

Wow, thumbs way down for the up the nostrils shots.

These are just candid snap shots and nothing more.

Hope to see more of your efforts in the future. Good luck!

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:07 PM
jcw1982
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First day of School!

Great shots, I love them! As you know, that is the 'modeling' you get from kids a lot of times. My only advice is to take a picture every year of their first day in each grade. It will not take as long as think.....

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password