New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

austinschutz
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

I'm considering what to do for an ultrawide. This purchase likely won't be made for a several months, but I take my time in deciding. Right now looking to see what's available for around $400 or less that is compact.

Right now I have an A7II and the following lenses (a sparse collection):
Olympus OM 28mm f/3.5 (not very good, but it was $5 and is passable in some scenarios at f/8)
Canon 55mm FL f/1.2 (razor sharp at f/2, my most used lens)
Voigtlander 180mm SL-II f/4 (one is not like the others, very clearly an optic above the rest, not used incredibly frequently, but it was cheap enough when I got it and I use it enough that I will NEVER part with it)

There are several gaps in my lineup and many wishlist items. As a student, filling those gaps is a long-term process, and the first gap I want to fill is getting an UWA. I expect this to be my most used lens (if not, very close) and am interested primarily in something between 18-21mm. Small size is nice, and the Loxia would obviously be perfect. I want to avoid old, large SLR designs (so this rules out the Canon 20mm f/2.8 and Tokina 17mm f/3.5).

Right now the contenders
1) Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5
Not the best, but modernish coatings and decent sharpness at f/8 might propel it over older offerings. Small.
2) Pentax 20mm f/4 M
To my eyes, better in the midzones than the Oly 21mm f/3.5, a little worse in the center, a little better in the extreme corners. Seems like a better optic overall. Both the Pentax and the Olly seem better than the Nikon 20mm f/4
3) Loxia 21mm f/2.8
Save for it, because I know it's what I really want.
4) Zeiss 16-35mm f/4
Not as compact, but cheaper than the Loxia and also zooms and has AF (not particularly concerned about this for an UWA)

Any experience using the first two from anyone, especially from people who have switched to a more modern offering later? Any others I should consider?

FWIW added a few photos to demonstrate my shooting style a bit. Don't know how helpful that is. There are many times where I wish I could have had a wider lens.

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:18 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

Why not considering the CV 21/1.8? It is one of my most heavily used ultra-wide lenses on my A7R. Only disadvantage of this lens - fixed lens hood. You might not need f/2 for landscape photos, but the wider entrance pupil of this lens makes it work very well with the Sony A7 series sensors. Not really the case with the smaller CV 20/3.5 lens.

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:30 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

At the price of the CV (about $800 used?) I feel like I'd probably just save the additional $300 and get the Loxia.

Sep 12, 2017 at 05:48 PM
grahamgibson

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

I had the Voigtlander 20/3.5 when I first bought the A7, but I wasn't a huge fan. Lots of CA. The 16-35/4 is much better. Here are some samples of the 20/3.5 in Nikon mount:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/albums/72157647878512575

I'd say save your money and get the Loxia 21 or 16-35/4. Both are excellent and whichever one you pick depends on your preferences.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:08 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

austinschutz wrote:
At the price of the CV (about $800 used?) I feel like I'd probably just save the additional $300 and get the Loxia.

Don't know too much about the Loxia, but I never vested into the E-mount lens-wise either. Since I use the M-lens both on my A7R with adapter and on my M series cameras, the CV 21/1.8 was a no-brainer for me.

Sep 12, 2017 at 07:01 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

retrofocus wrote:
Don't know too much about the Loxia, but I never vested into the E-mount lens-wise either. Since I use the M-lens both on my A7R with adapter and on my M series cameras, the CV 21/1.8 was a no-brainer for me.

It does look like a really good option, especially for people that go between systems.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:05 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

grahamgibson wrote:
I had the Voigtlander 20/3.5 when I first bought the A7, but I wasn't a huge fan. Lots of CA. The 16-35/4 is much better. Here are some samples of the 20/3.5 in Nikon mount:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/albums/72157647878512575

I'd say save your money and get the Loxia 21 or 16-35/4. Both are excellent and whichever one you pick depends on your preferences.

Thank you for sharing those pictures! It seems like there are not that many in the wild so it's hard to figure out exactly where it fits in the pantheon of mf uwa lenses.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:07 PM
Olaf G
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

First I've tried the Canon FD 20mm but I've replaced it with the Pentax-M 20mm because the Pentax has much better coatings which will show especially with overcast skies. I still use the Pentax (with a reversed ghostless filter in front of it, which flattens the curvature of field), but most of the time I use the Minolta AF 20mm which is quite cheap (I've got mine for 180 EUR) and it's really good for the money IMHO.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

How about the Samyang wides?

14mm 2.8, 20mm 1.8, 24mm 1.4.

Good. Cheap. E mount. Warranty....

Gordon

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:24 AM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

Olaf G wrote:
First I've tried the Canon FD 20mm but I've replaced it with the Pentax-M 20mm because the Pentax has much better coatings which will show especially with overcast skies. I still use the Pentax (with a reversed ghostless filter in front of it, which flattens the curvature of field), but most of the time I use the Minolta AF 20mm which is quite cheap (I've got mine for 180 EUR) and it's really good for the money IMHO.

I'll look into the Minolta. Definitely not opposed to getting an LA-EA3 and using manual focus. Glad to also hear that you've had a positive experience with the Pentax.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:57 AM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

flash wrote:
How about the Samyang wides?

14mm 2.8, 20mm 1.8, 24mm 1.4.

Good. Cheap. E mount. Warranty....

Gordon

I'm trying to avoid overly large lenses so that rules out the 20/24mm Samyangs and the 14mm manual focus lens. The Af 14mm doesn't look good at all, even for the price. Appreciate the thought, though. Would be nice if they just came out with a nice 20mm f/4 (or if Sony did the same in their "consumer" FF lineup).

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:59 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

Wondering if the 28/3.5 OM had been taken apart or something? Haven't heard many complaints on that one. What kind of problem did you have with it?

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:16 AM
Audii-Dudii
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

Although it's probably larger and heavier than you would prefer, the 15mm Irix Firely hits your $400 target price new (and used ones can be bought for less) and based upon my limited experience with my friend's copy, I am favorably impressed by its performance.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:08 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

Just get the 16-35/4 and be done with it. It's a native lens - so no adapters - with full functionality available. And, judging by the test reports by Photozone.de and others, it's a pretty good one (I have no personal experience with it, though).

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM
MAubrey
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

I wouldn't pay more than $700 for a used Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8, if I were you. I got mine for $650 used and I've seen them as low as $600.

Seems a no brainer.

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:40 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · UWA on the cheap (A7II)?

I quite liked my FD 20/2.8.

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:15 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password