New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Question on OCF:

rollsman4

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on OCF:

I sometimes bounce my Strobe off the walls/ Ceiling behind me when I shoot groups and the lighting is beautiful. Of course I use a hi ISO, about ISO 1000-1200. My questions is: What if the walls are NOT white? I am presuming that I can't use this method in that case due to possible color shift from the colored wall. Does anyone shoot this way and with a colored wall? Thank you

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:18 AM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on OCF:

If your fill is low or color-matched to the bounced key, simply apply WB in your usual way.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:35 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on OCF:

rollsman4 wrote:
What if the walls are NOT white? I am presuming that I can't use this method in that case due to possible color shift from the colored wall. Does anyone shoot this way and with a colored wall? Thank you

If the walls are neutral (white to black) you can bounce, althoiugh I can assure you that almost nothing returns from a black wall or ceiling.

A somewhat off-neutral wall will still work, but if it is significantly off-neutral it won't (one supposes you could do a custom profile with a colorchecker passport, but there would be limits to that as well). At which point you can bring out an umbrella, or tape a large piece of white paper / Bristol board to the wall and carry on.

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:21 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on OCF:

The principle here is that any light source picks up the color of things it bounces off of. That's why portraits made in a grassy field or in a forest usually have a green cast to the skin tones. Same with colored walls.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rollsman4

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on OCF:

Thank you everyone. I wanted to be sure . I will use my Soft box in this situation. Dennis

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:25 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on OCF:

I come across this during weddings ALL the time.

In these situations, I have my assistant quickly grab my Profoto B2, slap on a Gitzo monopod and an Elinchrom Deep 27.5" octa and gets into position and I just fire away.

But yes, in most cases, ceiling or wall bounce is the best way to go.
Sometimes I even go crazy like bounce off of someone who has a white shirt, cloth, etc.

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:44 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question on OCF:

You can use a skyline frame with a white vinyl fabric over these areas to bounce your light off

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:43 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password