New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Michael Gordon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Didn't want to lug my Canon kit and despite substantial risk of unfamiliar system will rent an A7RII and Techart pro adapter to use my favorite lenses. I will have a sony 55 for one AF lens. Appreciate any suggestions regarding critical customization to make. I see some map a button for manual focus---is that a good one? I will just have a couple days pre trip to become reasonably competent though I won't be able to adjust in my sleep like my other cams.

I hope to download sky HDR and Smooth reflections apps. I have read some have difficulty. I think there is an app to get exif data into the files for the C/Y 35-70 that I plan to use w/o the Techartpro. What is that one?
I have read the extremely helpful Techartpro faq thread. I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew. Appreciate any help with this.

Sep 11, 2017 at 05:42 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

What are your favorite lenses to use with the TAP?

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:52 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

The apps are trash. I wouldn't count on them to accomplish anything useful.

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:56 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

engardeknave wrote:
The apps are trash. I wouldn't count on them to accomplish anything useful.

I completely disagree, at least with the smooth reflections app as I don't have any experience with the other one. Care to add why you feel they are trash? I've found it quite useful with lenses that don't have filter threads for ND filters, etc.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:05 PM
grahamgibson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Sky HDR has been "replaced" by Digital Filter which does the same and more (although is more expensive).

The apps are a bit fiddly, but can accomplish some neat blending that otherwise takes some extra work and know-how in photoshop.

For buttons I remapped, I have C1 and C2 set to steadyshot and silent shooting on/offs. I remapped AEL button to Eye-AF (awesome btw).

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:49 AM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

k-h.a.w wrote:
What are your favorite lenses to use with the TAP?

CV 90/3.5, CV180/4, OM 24/2.8, CV 125/2.5 macro.

Not sure if should use techartpro aperture setting for manual focus or map a button. Much to suss out.

Sep 12, 2017 at 07:01 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

rparchen wrote:
I completely disagree, at least with the smooth reflections app as I don't have any experience with the other one. Care to add why you feel they are trash? I've found it quite useful with lenses that don't have filter threads for ND filters, etc.

The apps are a pain to access, laggy, and have primitive interfaces. When inside an app most of the functionality of the camera is disabled. Most apps serve to do little more than poor, automated edits (mostly to jpg). Personally, I have no use for this functionality since my work leans heavily on post. Anything the apps can do can be done better and faster in post.

Some hobbyists might find it fun to tinker with these things. I guess I did for some number of minutes. What I should have said is that they are not pratical for making money and really just get in the way. Would I want to spend precious vacation time dicking around with these apps? Me, personally, no.

Everytime I think about apps on Sony cameras I get extremely irritated by the total waste of an opportunity it was. I can think of a thousand other functions far simpler to impliment that would have been exponentially more useful.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:40 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Michael Gordon wrote:
CV 90/3.5, CV180/4, OM 24/2.8, CV 125/2.5 macro.

Not sure if should use techartpro aperture setting for manual focus or map a button. Much to suss out.

Thanks Michael.

First thing I would do set Custom Button 4, the trash can, to In-Camera Guide.
Next set Custom Button 1 or 2 to Focus Magnifier.
Sony's version of IBIS, called SteadyShot, can be controlled with 3 Buttons.
I use Down Button for SteadyShot, Right Button for SteadyShot Adjust., and Custom Button 3 for SteadyS. Focal Len.
Next set AF/MF Button to AF/MF Ctrl Toggle.
Then I would set Menu 2/3/ Phase Detect Area to ON and Menu 2/7/ AF System to Phase Detection AF.

Good luck, K-H.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:05 AM
aeonsim
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

engardeknave wrote:
The apps are a pain to access, laggy, and have primitive interfaces. When inside an app most of the functionality of the camera is disabled. Most apps serve to do little more than poor, automated edits (mostly to jpg). Personally, I have no use for this functionality since my work leans heavily on post. Anything the apps can do can be done better and faster in post.

Ah you do realise that most popular apps will generate RAW files?
The interfaces aren't great but at least 3 of the apps are exceedingly useful.

Smooth reflections - generates averaged RAW files, you can use it like an ND filter or simply to improve signal to noise ratio, check out Fred's examples, it produces very nice results.
See: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1403764/0

Time lapse - gives you fairly comprehensive time lapse functionality generating either video, RAWs or JPGs.

Smart Remote - allows you to use your cellphone/tablet as a remote control for the camera with bulb support, gives you touch AF with sony AF lenses.

With regards to using the apps on a trip I'd highly recommend getting them a week or two in advance so you can spend a couple of evenings playing with them to get used to all the options.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:57 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

aeonsim wrote:
Ah you do realise that most popular apps will generate RAW files?

You just read my parenthetical "(mostly to jpg)" and interpreted it to mean that I do not know there are apps that output to raw.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:13 PM
MAubrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

engardeknave wrote:
You just read my parenthetical "(mostly to jpg)" and interpreted it to mean that I do not know there are apps that output to raw.

When you make a blanket statement about all the apps "the apps are trash" and then explain that by saying things that only apply to some, but not all of the apps, you should assume that you will be misunderstood.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:46 PM
aeonsim
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

engardeknave wrote:

You make a blanket statement that the apps are trash and mostly deal with JPGs when the original poster is specifically calling out two of the best apps both of which support RAW.

Those statements could easily mislead someone in to thinking that neither the Sky HDR or Smooth reflections app are any good, and may only support JPG. Combined with the general trashing of apps it is easy to assume you are suggesting none of them are worth getting. Which is in complete disagreement with a large number of users of this forum who use the apps the original poster was interested in, and find them exceedingly useful.

Thus, I see no reason not to make it explicitly clear that those apps support RAW. And express some uncertainty as to your degree of experience with them.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:37 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Appreciate the suggestions very much. I hope it isn't too difficult to get the apps on the cam. I realize one can do most of what they do in PS, but having the cam convert 256 images to one raw file and see what one has is attractive. I hope I can get things mostly sorted before leaving with this as well as some customization.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:52 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Ok I'm not going to get into a discussion about what the word "mostly" means. Talking to photographers is always a mistake.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:21 PM
Michael Everet
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

engardeknave wrote:
Ok I'm not going to get into a discussion about what the word "mostly" means. Talking to photographers is always a mistake.

Well I think I understand the English language pretty well having published seven books, and directed numerous dissertations in the humanities and they are not on photography. I agree with your critics. You statement was misleading and badly worded. I write this not for you but for the OP and anyone else that may have been misled. Own your own statements, and don't be so touchy when you screw them up.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:22 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Michael Everet wrote:
Well I think I understand the English language pretty well having published seven books, and directed numerous dissertations in the humanities and they are not on photography.

Oh, I was just warming up to the idea that you are all esl and not doing that thing old men do when you besmirch the good name of their prized camera gear.

THE A7R2 IS A VERY GOOD CAMERA. YOUR CAMERA IS THE BEST CAMERA.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Your condescending and insulting contributions really don't add to the enjoyment of this forum.
So, why not give up that kind of thing?

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Well I have the rented A7r2 and a few days to become acceptably proficient. I can't expect to be as comfortable as a cam I've used for a couple years. As I understand it putting the focal length into steady shot does not transfer data to exit. Is that the case? If not using techartpro for alt lenses, using lens compensation app seems too slow and painful to put in FL and aperture.

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:49 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New to A7RII--seeking advice for customization for upcoming trip

Must throw in a well-deserved kudo to Lensrentals who shipped the gear quite early at no extra charge--more time to sort things out. I am sorry my post caused any friction. I appreciate the expertise and helpfulness of FMers and attempt to reciprocate whenever possible.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:08 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.