New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art rear filter holder

d831
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art rear filter holder

Sigma has introduced a rear filter holder (FHR-11) for their 14mm f/1.8 Art lens:

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/service/rearfilterholder/

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/service-rear-filter-for-14mm-art

Not as versatile as many will need, but helpful to some. It's currently only offered on the Canon version.

The 2nd link above mentions that self-install is an option.

Sep 11, 2017 at 05:17 PM
ATX353
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art rear filter holder

Awesome! D831, do you have the sigma 14?

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:02 PM
d831
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art rear filter holder

Nope, but it's on my short list.

I just saw the thread you started - I've got the 14-24mm and 15-30mm, both of which are great. I've been looking at the 12-24mm f/4 options from Sony and Sigma lately though to get more on the wide end when I need it; but I'd need to supplement it with something faster for nightscape. At that point, I might be better off sticking with adapting the 14-24mm or 15-30mm, but I haven't seen enough info on the IQ differences between the lot to convince me one way or the other. Not that it isn't out there, I just haven't come across it yet.

Ideally, the 12-24mm would replace the other UWAs in my kit; and, in the case of the Sony, would help me shed considerable weight between the lens itself + adapter. That doesn't matter to me as much as IQ though, so I'm exploring this. It's going to be a compromise no matter what though...

The 15mm Laowa, along with the 21mm Loxia might fit the bill for me, nightscape wise, but I know you're looking for Nikon options.

Once @f/2.8, how did the Sigma compare with the 14-24mm? Borders and extreme corners? How about distortion?

EDIT: I misspoke earlier when mentioning the weight I'd shed, in part, by dropping my 150mm filter setup - the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 is also a contender for me (as a general landscape lens) and was what I had on my mind while typing. Supplementing with a <16mm wide prime would definitely be a necessity for me if I go this direction (e.g. the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm, or the Laowa 12mm, which I haven't read enough about to know if it's actually worth considering for nightscapes).

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:18 PM
ATX353
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art rear filter holder

Awesome, thank you for your response! Forgive me but I am still too new at photography to accurately answer your questions, however the coma, seemed to visually disappear at f/2.8. I have a picture that I took that I can post once I get back to my external hard drive. During the day the Sigma seems very sharp. I know some have said it to be sharper than the 14-24, but I am not experienced enough in photography or pixel peeping to share input on that. Distortion was correctable in lightroom, I did notice very little vignetting, which was nice. All in all, if only the coma wasn't visible at f/1.8 I would say it would be the perfect lens; at the same time, there wasn't much coma, and it was only in the very edges of the corners. I also have some pictures of that, I will try to post up later.

How do you like the 15-30? I've heard that gives the Nikon a run for its money.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:44 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.