New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

pitchingace25

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

I have a Canon 1D Mark III and I have never had any problems with it. I let someone borrow my camera, and now I have visible spots on my sensor that is showing up along mostly the top right corner of all of my pictures. I was going to send it in to Canon for a cleaning, but they no longer support my camera and won't do it. Do you know of anyone in the Los Angeles area that would clean the sensor, or does anyone have a recommended product I could buy to try cleaning it myself? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:15 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

I use Eclipse cleaning fluid with sensor swabs when using a rocket blower can't dislodge dust. Just make sure you order the correct size (they have a chart to help you). It's pretty simple and as long as you don't jam the swab into the sensor, it'll be fine. Also, there's no shortage of instructional YouTube videos to help you...

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:37 PM
pitchingace25

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

Thank you for the information. I tried the rocket blower already. I wish I could tell what is actually on the sensor. I'll check out the eclipse fluid and swabs.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:16 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

If a rocket blower doesn't work, I go for the GelStick that works like a charm on a stubborn dust particles and some oils spots: http://amzn.to/2eUFwXx This video shows how it works: https://youtu.be/fetJfPILU3o

If this fails, and as a last resort, I clean the sensor via "wet method" using Eclipse fluid: http://amzn.to/2fg8OQL + swabs... but after buying the GelStick, I barely have to do the "wet cleaning"

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:20 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

I use a sensorklear II pen which dislodges the dust then you can easily blow it off with a rocket blower on my 1Ds3

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:19 AM
pitchingace25

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

Thanks Kosin! I'll definitely look into the gel stick too.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

pitchingace25 wrote:
Thanks Kosin! I'll definitely look into the gel stick too.

Note some of us are not fans and for the following I have no evidence, just suspicion. The gel will/may weep and eventually leave residue on your sensor. Residue which may or may not harden over time.

I am staying away from them because I have seen to many things decompose given time.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:37 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

It's not really a "gel." It's just a sticky piece of rubber, but beware just the same, if you pick up a chunk of debris and don't get it cleaned off before you tap the sensor with the pad again, it could cause issues. I had tried that method when I first started cleaning my own sensors, and found it difficult to get the dirt to release from the pad. Probably just the brand I tried, but just be careful if you go this route.

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pitchingace25

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

Has anyone ever used the LensPen? I was considering trying that or the eclipse solution with swabs. I definitely don't want to damage my sensor.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:44 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

They no longer support the 1D Mark III? DamN!

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:18 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

I've never had much luck with Eclipse and sensor swabs. Usually when I use them it just makes things worse and it ends up at the tech anyway. "The tech" is a well-known independent lab (as has been said, Canon no longer supports this camera). It wasn't hard finding them, and if Melbourne, a city 1/3 the size of LA, has one I have to believe LA does too, especially with the movie and aerospace industry you have. Cleaning costs me A$100, and the techs freely admit the high price incliudes an allowance their accountants have built in for the (presumably very rare) chance they scratch the sensor.

It happens. I did it with my 1Ds Mk III.

When I get something on the sensor that doesn't come off, I think most of the time it's pollen. I arrived at this conclusion based on the time of year and from one time I could actually see the outline of the poillen grain. No amount of rocket blowing is going to dislodge pollen. You need to wet clean.

Your comment that most of the dirt seems to be in one corner makes me think the person you lent the camera to wet cleaned unsuccessfully, because that's often the situation I end up in when I wet clean unsuccessfully.

The techs also tell me they do see some of this model with dust caught between "the sensor glass" and the sensor. They can fix this by dismantliing the camera, but it's expensive. So far, it hasn't happened to mine.

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:48 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

pitchingace25 wrote:
Has anyone ever used the LensPen? I was considering trying that or the eclipse solution with swabs. I definitely don't want to damage my sensor.

Only use the SensorPen to occasionally clean dust that creeps on the sensor.

The triangular tip makes it very quick and effective.

No liquid, no residue...

HTH

greg

Sep 18, 2017 at 09:14 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

pitchingace25 wrote:

I have never needed any thing other than the lenspen and that's what Canon techs use. I would avoid putting moisture in your camera, way too many horror stories.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:36 AM
pitchingace25

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

Thank you all for your replies. I purchased the Sensor Swabs and the eclipse solution, but haven't tried using it yet. I think I will order a lenspen and a loupe and see if I can get that to work before trying anything else. I've checked a few stores near me, and haven't had any luck finding anyone who wanted to clean it for me, so it looks like I will have to try and do it myself. Fortunately this is my backup body and not my main one, but I definitely don't want to screw it up. I'd be happy to pay a professional to clean it if I could find a good, reliable one.

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:58 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need advice on cleaning a 1D Mark III sensor

It is not rocket science and a search will bring up many threads on this site.

I have used this same method for over ten years on a 10D, 20D, 40D, 50D, 7D, 7D2, 1D, 1DMk2, 1DMk3, 1DMk4, 5D, 5DMk2, 5DMk3, 1Ds2, and 1DX.

Q-tips. I don't care if they are not lint-free. Use lint-free swabs if you want. Bottle of 50% isopropyl alcohol & 50% water, or mix your own. One Rocket Blower.

Dampen (do not soak) Q-tip in alcohol solution and wipe down sensor. Just like cleaning a window.
Buff off excess solution with a dry Q-tip.
Blow out any lint with Rocket Blower
Check over-exposed shot of sky taken at f16 at maximum magnification on LCD screen.

Repeat as often as necessary.

Total cost of Q-tips, alcohol, and Rocket Blower should be around $20 and last you for 20 years.
Have never had a problem with using this method on any of the above-mentioned cameras.

If you want to waste your money on all those fancy commercial products, be my guest.

I spend enough money on other more useful camera gear.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password