Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

t4haughton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

Just saw that Godox has announced the X Pro transmitter. Canon version ships in October, with Nikon and others following later this year.

This fixes the biggest pain point of the Godox/Flashpoint system for me. I'm hoping there's a way to save presets, but otherwise this looks perfect!

http://www.diyphotography.net/leaked-godox-xpro-trigger-photo-teases-huge-lcd-interface-lots-buttons/

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:43 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

Are the X1T not good enough for you? I have three and they all work fine.

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:52 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

Honestly, it looks a lot more complicated to use for simple setups and like a bad attempt at the profoto air system (which is amazing btw).

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:59 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

FrancisK7 wrote:
Are the X1T not good enough for you? I have three and they all work fine.

The X1 only shows 3 groups and with a 4-light setup (our standard reception scenario) changing setting takes WAY too long. The interface on the X1 was definitely designed by a Windows user. It's miserable.

---------------------------------------------

Mark_L wrote:
Honestly, it looks a lot more complicated to use for simple setups and like a bad attempt at the profoto air system (which is amazing btw).

I used the Profoto Air transmitter once (rented in CA for a destination wedding). I seem to recall not being able to get feedback about the current light output. I could raise or lower power, but had to remember where the light was in terms of power. I didn't use it long enough to figure out if there was a workaround. If Profoto made speedlights and a 200w/s light the size of a speedlight I'd be in their camp.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

I'm excited for this! The X1T is decent, but this looks better. If those buttons on the left allow quick access to specific groups, as it appears that's what they are for, this will be killer.

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:48 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

On the X1T, place it in group mode and you get 5 different groups: A-E.

I would be interested in this too.

-Mark

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:12 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

How do I get me one of them Godox Club lens sweat bands ?

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:48 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

looks like it has the same shitty af assist

Sep 12, 2017 at 07:53 AM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

Ziffl3 wrote:
On the X1T, place it in group mode and you get 5 different groups: A-E.
-Mark

Yep, but it still doesn't show more than three groups on the screen at the same time. And the scrolling is backwards. You can hold the GR button for a few seconds to adjust all groups at once, but it's still just too slow.

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

Really, It wouldn't matter what they did or how they designed these things, shooters would still bitch about them.
What one person thinks is perfect the other thinks is a disaster.

Myself, I just adapt and work with the equipment as it is. I can't change it and as frustrating as it may be, no use stressing over it.

I don't get into all the complicated things others do so for me the simpler the better because all these other features I don't use just make things pointlessly annoying.
I set the thing, it goes off, job done!

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:16 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

I'm excited for this. The best feature is TCM. It will transmit TTL power setting to manual setting similiar to how Profoto TTL works.

X1T works fine for me, but TCM should make life a little easier.

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:29 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

t4haughton wrote:
The X1 only shows 3 groups and with a 4-light setup (our standard reception scenario) changing setting takes WAY too long. The interface on the X1 was definitely designed by a Windows user. It's miserable.

What a great analogy, "designed by a windows user".

But it is true, I have hated, absolutely hated the GUI since that thing was released. It is painstakingly slow to change settings. Has to be a better way to do this and I hope the new trigger is it.

Sep 12, 2017 at 07:27 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

t4haughton wrote:
Yep, but it still doesn't show more than three groups on the screen at the same time. And the scrolling is backwards. You can hold the GR button for a few seconds to adjust all groups at once, but it's still just too slow.

Please tell the situation where you need to constantly change lighting power?
4 flashes and all are on different power settings? and then you need to change all of them in 2 seconds.

I rarely see anybody work 4+ flashes... and even then 2x by a stage and 2x facing the stage + a couple in and around back walls in a reception hall for ambient fill in. That is 3 groups....

..... there needs to be switching of power that happens in like 2 seconds.

I am being sarcastic but also curious as to some new shooting/lighting technique too.

-Mark

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:18 AM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

Ziffl3 wrote:
Please tell the situation where you need to constantly change lighting power?
4 flashes and all are on different power settings? and then you need to change all of them in 2 seconds.

I rarely see anybody work 4+ flashes... and even then 2x by a stage and 2x facing the stage + a couple in and around back walls in a reception hall for ambient fill in. That is 3 groups....

..... there needs to be switching of power that happens in like 2 seconds.

I am being sarcastic but also curious as to some new shooting/lighting technique too.

- Mark

We (myself and regular second shooter) use 8 flashes on four stands at every reception. Dual flash bracket on each stand. 25lbs of lead on each stand. Often, in a span of a minute or two we often go through three lighting scenarios. 1) Entrance (arm pits & exit signs), 2) cake cutting and 3) First dance. During that time, we're moving our stands and changing power settings on the lights. Each light is it's own group so that we can control power (and thanks to the Xpro ZOOM!) individually.

This off season I'll be putting a blog post together that explains it in detail, but here's a couple of examples.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:31 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

Interesting..... but not something I would do. the 25lbs and dual flash per stand.
so 4 flashes for you and 4 for your 2nd shooter.

myself ....
Entrance into first dance .... that would be 1 shooter covering the door entrance and one back on the dance floor catching them.
Door shooter has 1-2 flashes plus an on camera for fill.
Then door shooter can move flashes back to rear dance floor position.

Cake is usually at another time. really need 1 flash + an on-camera.

But even with this ... changing the power output should be like from 1/32 to 1/128 when jumping to the cake.
Minimal change from entrance to first dance.
Even with spot light entrance.....

I usually tape down front lights (lights by stage)...think Indian wedding with gaffers tape.

Cool to see how we are all different in our techniques.

-Mark

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:03 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

...and here I am with my single on-camera bounced flash

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:50 PM
armor281

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Finally! A real Godox/Flashpoint transmitter!!

It looks like easy, fast, one button access to each group and that is interesting to me. I like control but I want fast also. I hope this does the trick.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password