New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Banff Last Week of September

wayneng

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Banff Last Week of September

Hi all,

I'm returning to Calgary for a family visitation and might go to banff for a day with the parents. Last time I went was on my honeymoon in late May so was still a bit frosty with no turquoise. I was wondering what conditions are like around end of September normally.

In terms of where I'm planning to visit, since it's short, mostly going to be just at Lake Louise, Moraine Lake (for sunrise), Peyto Lake and Bow Lake and if time to creep over to Emerald Lake in Yoho. One curiosity I've had is where does everyone take that iconic bow lake picture straight on with the reflection of the glacier? Last time I searched for the spot but couldn't find it. If anyone can point me to it, I'd be grateful.

I hear Lake Louise area is crowded this time of year, so would I need to go early to beat the rush?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Banff Last Week of September

For the Bow Lake picture straight on with the reflection of the glacier, look for the sign of "Simpson's Num-Ti-Jah Lodge" on your left if you are coming from Lake Louise. Go to the parking lot, park the car, and walk maybe 5 min toward the Bow Lake. You will cross a small wooden bridge. Then..there it is.

For the Lake Louise shot, I think it is best at sunrise. It should not be that crowded this time of year. Schools are on.

Have fun!

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:14 AM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Banff Last Week of September

I'm in Jasper right now having come up from Canmore this morning. Fall colors are just starting here, but the biggest problem IMO are the massive crowds. Which I suspect are due to the free access for everyone to Canada's national parks this year.

I was barely able to get into Lake Louise, and was denied access to Moraine Lake because it was already full of tourists. This wasn't at dawn, it was around 9am (my wife will not get up at dawn).

All the way up to Jasper it was hit and miss in just being able to find a parking spot at any location.

Sep 12, 2017 at 02:00 AM
wayneng

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Banff Last Week of September

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
For the Bow Lake picture straight on with the reflection of the glacier, look for the sign of "Simpson's Num-Ti-Jah Lodge" on your left if you are coming from Lake Louise. Go to the parking lot, park the car, and walk maybe 5 min toward the Bow Lake. You will cross a small wooden bridge. Then..there it is.

For the Lake Louise shot, I think it is best at sunrise. It should not be that crowded this time of year. Schools are on.

Have fun!

Perfect! Thanks Kee!

Sep 12, 2017 at 02:09 AM
wayneng

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Banff Last Week of September

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:

Have fun!

Perfect! Thanks Kee!

---------------------------------------------

John Zeman wrote:
I'm in Jasper right now having come up from Canmore this morning. Fall colors are just starting here, but the biggest problem IMO are the massive crowds. Which I suspect are due to the free access for everyone to Canada's national parks this year.

I was barely able to get into Lake Louise, and was denied access to Moraine Lake because it was already full of tourists. This wasn't at dawn, it was around 9am (my wife will not get up at dawn).

All the way up to Jasper it was hit and miss in just being able to find a
...Show more

That's good to know - its really packed even early then...I was planning on going midweek so hopefully less bad than in the weekend

Sep 12, 2017 at 02:10 AM
barrywinnipeg

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Banff Last Week of September

With wildlife you never know. Talking to a friend who had friends that were in Banff & Canmore last
week for a week, and didn't see ANY wildlife. I don't know if they knew where to look.

For elk in Banff, for the last 3 or 4 years we have had great luck driving the road to the Banff Springs
Golf Course.You often see elk all the way from the first holes to the end of the course.
Take the loop past the clubhouse to the sewage plant. In Sept often see large herds of elk, esp in the
evening, with bugling and males butting heads.

Theres also a loop off this one that goes (oneway driving( along the river with some spots to pull over
along the river. And maybe see a coyote.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:31 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Banff Last Week of September

re One curiosity I've had is where does everyone take that iconic bow lake picture straight on with the reflection of the glacier? Last time I searched for the spot but couldn't find it. If anyone can point me to it, I'd be grateful.

Two best spots - my favorite is closer to the road spot - red dot is the lodge

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Banff Last Week of September

wayneng wrote:
Hi all,

I'm returning to Calgary for a family trip but wanted to stop by Banff for a day or two before. Last time I went was on my honeymoon in late May so was still a bit frosty with no turquoise. I was wondering what conditions are like around end of September normally.

In terms of where I'm planning to visit, since it's short, mostly going to be just at Lake Louise, Moraine Lake (for sunrise), Peyto Lake and Bow Lake and if time to creep over to Emerald Lake in Yoho. One curiosity I've had is where does everyone take
...Show more

End of september will have some colour but not a lot of it. This is pretty much the last week of color. Your best bet is to go high and there will be some colour in larch left. The leafy trees will almost be done. 7200' or higher gets you to larch. You can drive to this in Kananakis - Highroad pass or hike to it. Larch Valley at Morain lake is best but lately it has too many people. Highroad pass in Kananaskis and Ptarmigan cirque or Burstall Pass in Kananaskis is better. Or take the bus up to sunshine meadows depending on the smoke forecast.

Moraine Lake is good if you get there by 6:30 AM but by 9am - full to the rafters. But always spectacular.
Peyton is always good. And spareness of colour in trees will be less noticeable because its further view - good choice.
Bow Lake at the end of September maybe good - end of sep is a little late - its in its peak colors now. I suspect you will have missed it by end of september.

I would skip Lake Louise - its too symmetrical and crawling with people - but if you must go get there at 6am.

Emerald lake would be good to try because it might be a little later in colour.

This was Bow last weekend but it was so smokey I could hardly see across from smoke blowing in from British Columbia.

from the closer arrow to the road - red dot - standing in the water

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 10:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:47 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Banff Last Week of September

barrywinnipeg wrote:
With wildlife you never know. Talking to a friend who had friends that were in Banff & Canmore last
week for a week, and didn't see ANY wildlife. I don't know if they knew where to look.

For elk in Banff, for the last 3 or 4 years we have had great luck driving the road to the Banff Springs
Golf Course.You often see elk all the way from the first holes to the end of the course.
Take the loop past the clubhouse to the sewage plant. In Sept often see large herds of elk, esp in the
evening, with bugling and males butting
...Show more

Last week - Kananaskis - below

I suggest Engedine lodge area for moose for end of september - early or late.
I suggest near golf course up Red Streak Campground - Radium Hot Springs- for Bighorn sheep with big horns

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:51 AM
wayneng

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Banff Last Week of September

Scott Stoness wrote:
End of september will have some colour but not a lot of it. This is pretty much the last week of color. Your best bet is to go high and there will be some colour in larch left. The leafy trees will almost be done. 7200' or higher gets you to larch. You can drive to this in Kananakis - Highroad pass or hike to it. Larch Valley at Morain lake is best but lately it has too many people. Highroad pass in Kananaskis and Ptarmigan cirque or Burstall Pass in Kananaskis is better. Or take the bus up
...Show more

Thanks Scott. You wouldn't happen to know if it snows in the mountains by end of the month? I'll likely be driving up from Calgary at like 4 am to catch the sunrise, so was wondering what roads are like - kinda dreading that but my relatives are in Calgary and staying there.

Also any suggestions if forecast is raining?

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Banff Last Week of September

wayneng wrote:
Thanks Scott. You wouldn't happen to know if it snows in the mountains by end of the month? I'll likely be driving up from Calgary at like 4 am to catch the sunrise, so was wondering what roads are like - kinda dreading that but my relatives are in Calgary and staying there.

Also any suggestions if forecast is raining?

It may snow but the snow is unlikely to stay on the road (melt) so its unlikely to be an issue.

It is forecasted to snow Wed/Tues evening but you wont' even know it happened.

What I do to find a good spot re less rain is -

weather.ca and flip through Yoho, Lake Louise, Banff, Saskatchewan Crossing, Kananaskis to find the best prospect depending on the day. Weather.ca has a pretty reliable hourly forecast a day or two in advance. Then I choose a location with the best probability or if they are all bad - I go looking for moose /bear in Kananaskis.

Althernatively, if its just cloudy, I would pick a trip/hike to Larch and try for larch colour shots. I really like Highwood pass for these kind of days. Rain or snow - its good. Moraine is pretty good to on a bad day - but no larch. Larch Valley is nice but getting really crowded as it has become known. Wakkemicha (sp) off Larch is a better choice for having the place to yourself but sometimes you are required to travel in groups of 4 for bear safety. Alternatively, sunshine meadows has really nice close in larch shot opportunities for $12 or so on the bus up the mountain.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM
chouette

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Banff Last Week of September

I just got back from a week in Banff/Jasper and posted a response to the other Banff thread on this board. To this one I'd add that Moraine Lake and Lake Louise were definitely packed but if you go early in the morning midweek it shouldn't be hard to get parking. If the lots are full, you can try circling back on the road until you happen to get there when someone is leaving. I didn't have any trouble finding parking along stops on the Icefields Parkway but it may have just been the time of day. Things seem to be busiest around 10am - 2pm.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:53 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Banff Last Week of September

Tag for ref:

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:49 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password