New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Which filters brand-kind?

GiovanniAprea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which filters brand-kind?

Hello everybody,

so, long story short, I live on a beautiful island and wintertime I love to go down the shore to take seascapes, actually my gear consists of a Nikon D800 where my widest lens is either the 28-300VR (ok, I know, no comments please) or a 28/2.8Ai (always thorn between keep it as a paper holder or throw it out the window...), I am waiting to have funds to get a decent wide angle like the 20/1.8G but the matter now is filters, I have a cheap Cokin P holder with a grad ND and an ND whose I can't estimate the degree of light blocking, I can tell that filters have a big impact on final picture quality and as such I'd like to switch to something better without to go bankrupt with Lee, I'd need a couple strong NDs for seascapes to allow using f8-f11 at base ISO so I don't have to crank up f-stop (diffraction wise) nor to have to pull down the ISO (loss of DR), let's say I'll someday get a wide angle with a 77mm lens diameter, would a 100x100 filter still do it? Without to spend a fortune where would you look at, Formatt-Hitech (don't like their holder too much, the polarizer rotating bit, too many moving parts is not my slice of cake) or a Cokin Z-Pro or what else within an affordable amount of money, say 200-300 greens with holder and a couple ND?

I already own a nice 77 BW Kasemann (non slim) polarizer as well as an 82mm Hoya just in case so no need to also get a polarizer and, by the way, found out on my skin that below 28mm it has too much of an impact on wide areas of sky, found out using my 21mm equivalent Fujinon 14/2.8 lens coupled with the X-Pro1 camera which, at the moment, is the widest I can go (but it bothers me big time having to use 16MP rather than the great 36 ones off the D800).

A dear friend off of the US is coming next month and I'd buy something off the US with the advantageous Dollar-Euro ratio to have it brought here rather than to buy in Italy where VAT is just huge (22%, yes, correct 22/% over the huge markup importers add on top of gear!), I have month time to think about it (I have a hitch to get an RRS BH40 to replace, whilst I can get a serious tripod, the B1 head I got along with my - cheap - Benro tripod...).

Grazie for your attention and suggestions

Giovanni

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Dj R
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which filters brand-kind?

Marumi (super)

Sep 12, 2017 at 02:49 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which filters brand-kind?

You should likely get the Lee foundation kit 100x150 filter size along with the 77mm Wide angle adapter ring.

For the filters you can get Lee, hitech and many more. Not sure if breakthrough makes square filters but they have a good reputation.
Get GND filters in the square and maybe also a 5 or 10 stop ND filter. You also could get the ND filter in round form.
Polarizer, ND and GND filters are the most important for seascape shooting. For a 77mm lens like the 20mm 1.8G I don't think 100x100 would be big enough for GND filters. It could work for the ND filter but for the GND filter it wouldn't give you enough room to make adjustments

Sep 12, 2017 at 05:26 AM
GiovanniAprea
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which filters brand-kind?

Does the Lee holder fit the 2mm Formatt-Hitech ND ones?

I am interested into making sure that 100mm filters are wide enough to cover a wide angle lens like a 20-21mm might be, the Nikon 20mm has a 77mm diameter filter thread but, say, the Zeiss 21 has an 82mm diameter, would the 100mm filters still git well without to cause any vignette?

Grazie

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which filters brand-kind?

yes

using a lee wide angle adapter ring you generally can reach down to approx. 16-17mm depending on the lens and with a minimal filter stack in the holder

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:28 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which filters brand-kind?

I use some hitech filters with my lee foundation holder and I use this setup on my Nikon 20mm. I can stack 2 filters and it doesn't have any issues.
If you get the zeiss make sure you get the 82mm wideangle adapter ring instead of the 77mm. I have never used the zeiss 21mm with the lee but I think it will be fine. On lee's site you can enter a lens and it will show you the setup thats compatible.

I have used the Zeiss 21mm side by side with the Nikon 20mm and I recommend the Nikon. In my opinion the 20mm is one of Nikons finest releases in recent years.
It is faster than Zeiss at 1.8 and has nice Auto focus. It is better for night photography in my opinion and is just as sharp and contrasty as the Zeiss.
The one nice thing about the Zeiss is hard stop infinity focus but I don't think this one thing is worth it. Also the Zeiss is more expensive even on the used market.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:17 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which filters brand-kind?

Here is the LEE page for finding the right system

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-match

The zeiss 21mm works with the 100mm foundation kit

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ATX353
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which filters brand-kind?

My first filter set was through Singh-Ray, I have their 5 Stop and 10 Stop ND Filters, and a couple grads. I later went and tried out the Breakthrough filters. I find them better than the Singh-Ray in terms of color cast! Hope this helps.

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:18 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which filters brand-kind?

I have several Marumi Super DHG CPL's that work very well. 2 weeks ago I bought an Amazon Basics CPL to replace a lost filter.(52MM) I really did not expect much, but the damned thing works well, is coated on both sides and I can spot no distortion. Either I lucked out or Amazon is going to gut punch several filter makers. Which is it?

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:44 AM
GiovanniAprea
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which filters brand-kind?

mysh wrote:
I use some hitech filters with my lee foundation holder and I use this setup on my Nikon 20mm. I can stack 2 filters and it doesn't have any issues.
If you get the zeiss make sure you get the 82mm wideangle adapter ring instead of the 77mm. I have never used the zeiss 21mm with the lee but I think it will be fine. On lee's site you can enter a lens and it will show you the setup thats compatible.

I have used the Zeiss 21mm side by side with the Nikon 20mm and I recommend the Nikon. In my
...Show more

I am sure not going to buy the Zeiss, it's damn expensive, 82mm filter thread (no big deal since I already own an 82mm polarizer) and MF which is a no-no even tho on that focal range focus is easily achieved but why give up AF when it comes cheaper in the form of the Nikon 20/1.8?

I was just asking because I have no wider angle lens than an old 28/2.8Ai (anybody wants it?) and the wide end of the 28-300VR which is on sale but a friend owns the Zeiss and I could have borrowed it for some seascape but am waiting to have enough funds (and ba**s) to get the 20 so in the meantime I am thinking at how to improve the whole landscape/seascape setup by getting better filters (and I guess the Lee holder kit and Formatt-Hitech filters would make it) and a sturdy ball head for my tripods (a cheap alu Benro with a B1 head and an old but sturdy Manfrotto 190 with a non Arca-Swiss head) then a wide angle lens will come up, I know, I could save off filters and head and get the lens in first instance but I promised myself that I first have to get rid of unused stuff before buying more, as such I want to get rid of the 28-300VR, trying also to give away the 35-70/2.8, some Contax lens hoods I paid a lot and never used... you know, the typical GAS mania ;-)

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:38 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which filters brand-kind?

If your 28mm 2.8 AI is in good condition you can likely get around $100-130 for it.

Is the 35-70mm the D version? If it is the D version and in nice condition they are going for around $250-300 on here and ebay.

GiovanniAprea wrote:

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:43 AM
GiovanniAprea
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which filters brand-kind?

The 28Ai has some imperceptible scratches on the bottom lens, nothing which shows off in pictures but I know it's a detracting feature for sale, it would come handy to shoot some video (which I don't) but all in all is not a bad lens at all, it's just too tight for my needs.

The 35-70 is the D version and I took it to service very recently (I like my gear to be in top conditions).

Well, quite a bunch of stuff to get rid of, I have a pristine Panasonic DMC-L1 too with its amazing kit lens, the D-Vario Elmarit 14-50/2.8-3.5 which I also don't make any use of and, least but no last, a bunch of Contax MF lenses and the Fuji X-Pro1 fully accessorized which I also don't make much use of along with the 18-55, 14/2.8 and 35/1.4...

As you can see there is quite a lot of unused stuff which was mostly due to early GAS which is cooling down a bit fortunately...

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:59 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which filters brand-kind?

Selling the 14mm would pay for the 20mm

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:03 AM
GiovanniAprea
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which filters brand-kind?

mysh wrote:
Selling the 14mm would pay for the 20mm

At this moment in time the 14 on the X-Pro1 is the widest I own and as such only going to part from it when I have the 20 or along with all the Fuji gear

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:41 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password