Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Pet Peeve #674

BKphotography
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pet Peeve #674

When a bride or groom tries to act concerned by asking you if you've had anything to eat when they never sorted anything for you to eat!

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pet Peeve #674

Or when they ordered you a meal but you have nowhere to eat it and or cutlery to eat it with

Edited on Sep 11, 2017 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:40 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pet Peeve #674

Haven't had that yet but I'm thinking in my car with fingers Lol

Sep 11, 2017 at 02:32 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pet Peeve #674

Bring you own food. Better for you and you eat on your own schedule. Hate waiting for food that makes me want to take a nap.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:30 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pet Peeve #674

Dinner is in my contract. I eat with the guests bc I have no interest in shooting picture she of people shoving food in their faces (except cake of course). Snacks, sandwiches, water, trail mix I keep in s cooler in the car. I never go hungry.

Sep 11, 2017 at 04:47 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pet Peeve #674

Clif Bar in your camera bag and pack a sandwich?

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:57 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pet Peeve #674

Bag of Twizzlers or Combos gets me by. Though the two weddings last weekend were awesome. Taco bar one night and brick oven pizza the next. Yesssss.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pet Peeve #674

I generally eat what clients eat.
Don't have time to get food when car is valet parking.

If I am going to multiple location... the families usually take care of me and my 2nd if I have one.

-Mark

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:22 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pet Peeve #674

Photographer's privilege. lol

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:19 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pet Peeve #674

I'm not that bothered if couples pay for a meal or not, most don't realise till it's too late.

Quite a few photographers request meals in contracts. I've never bothered. I think a lot of clients would think I want to sit with them when they're eating and I don't like to ask my clients anyway.

I prefer to do my own thing when the guests are eating, I would never dream of photographing anyone eating their meal at a wedding either.

9 times out of 10, the venue will sort me out with something to eat when I ask.

I always bring enough food to keep me going but I do like a hot free meal. I'm half Scottish. Lol

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pet Peeve #674

What pisses me right off even more than not getting a meal is when the clients organise you one but the reception joint treats you as if you are asking them for a kidney and then drop a half arsed cold meal in a corner right as the MC asks everyone to take their seats for the speeches and cake cutting.

There seems to be a culture difference over this. By and large, here in oz it's considered an insult not to feed someone in your house by a lot of different ethnicity's. I have a standing joke with a lot of my Italian and greek friends in particular.
" Tradition cooking requires you cook 3 times the amount needed for the people you are expecting and then throw on a bit more in case the local football club happens to drop by unexpectedly because you would not want to be embarrassed by getting caught short. If they don't show up, just make the people that do keep eating till it's all gone or they have a food coma, whichever comes first. "

Even Aussies whom the ethnics think are tight on the food consider it poor form not to feed and water a guest in your house or at your function.

I have had a few very genuine clients go off their nuts at the reception places when they discovered I had not been fed with everyone else. I did a lot of Italian and Greek weddings and they take it as a powerful insult not to feed someone stuffed full. I have had fathers get the venue owner and go off their tree at them for not feeding me and then apologise profusely. Generally the Italian and greek places will have a " band" table and you get the full meal as soon as all the guests are served along with with wine, beer or whatever you want.

Also had clients that have asked " why should we pay for a meal for you?"
Other than common courtesy, manners, goodwill and respect, no reason at all I guess.
Same as I don't have to work a minute past the hours of your coverage, wear the cost of parking, retouching or any other tiny incidental which can add up or do a damn thing outside my contract which stipulates I can charge you for and you agree to pay in full before the collection of the album.

I'll guarantee some people would have been a LOT better off providing me a meal than what their attitude cost them in the end.

Mate of mine a few years ago had extensions done to his house. Every day the Mrs would prepare a simple but hot meal for the workers. He also set up an urn with tea, coffee and stacked the outside fridge with cold drinks for them.
They were very appreciative and did an awesome job. Even the building inspector said it was the best and most through work he'd ever seen. My mate being a tradie himself knew how it worked and how far something like that went. They also threw in a lot of extra's for him they didn't charge for and were pedantic about cleaning up and doing things as well as they possibly could.

Seems a lot of people don't get that simple human behavioral concept.
Do something for me and i'll feel indebted to do some thing for you in return and usually more than your goodwill was worth to me in the first place.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:11 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pet Peeve #674

Never in my life have I, including my team, not been seated, fed and treated the same as guests or better. I guess its a cultural thing here in Europe to have manners.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:37 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pet Peeve #674

The other 50% of my heritage is Greek Macedonian, so I'm well aware of feed one, feed them all thing.

It's not really the couples fault in most instances. They just don't get it,

The vast majority of my clients get us something or the venue will give us two or three courses even if the couple hasn't sprung for a vendor meal

My comment is really just tongue in cheek.

If it bothered that much I would have a clause in my contract.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:24 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pet Peeve #674

BKphotography wrote:
When a bride or groom tries to act concerned by asking you if you've had anything to eat when they never sorted anything for you to eat!

It's less ackward than they asking me they require to feed me. Surprisingly, I thought I wasn't going to get any tip from this couple but ended up getting tips.

Still not a big deal either way.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:16 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pet Peeve #674

glort wrote:
What pisses me right off even more than not getting a meal is when the clients organise you one but the reception joint treats you as if you are asking them for a kidney and then drop a half arsed cold meal in a corner right as the MC asks everyone to take their seats for the speeches and cake cutting.

It's in my contract that I eat when the bridal party eats, not when the guests eat or when the venue decides they will let me have my food. I am VERY clear with both both the bride, groom and coordinator on this point and clearly explain why. I've had 1 venue give me a problem about it and all it took was a simple word form the coordinator and I had a plate. The venue wanted to provide my meal after all the guests had been served and had the opportunity for seconds on the buffet.

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:14 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pet Peeve #674

bipock wrote:
It's in my contract that I eat when the bridal party eats, not when the guests eat or when the venue decides they will let me have my food. I am VERY clear with both both the bride, groom and coordinator on this point and clearly explain why. I've had 1 venue give me a problem about it and all it took was a simple word form the coordinator and I had a plate. The venue wanted to provide my meal after all the guests had been served and had the opportunity for seconds on the buffet.

See, to me, all this makes it more trouble than it's worth.

If you have a strong preference on when you eat, why not just eat some Subway in your car?

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pet Peeve #674

ZachOly wrote:
If you have a strong preference on when you eat, why not just eat some Subway in your car?

Because it's not always easy to leave the reception and go get it. They don't deliver here either.

I do use that as a "Prompt" however.
Go ask the B&G if they will want any pics taken in the next 30 min as I'm just going to go out and get something to eat. That usually has someone summoned and a meal appear.

The thing with the contract is it's between the B&G not the venue. I make it a point to tell them I would appreciate a meal at the last interview and only had a few protest why shoultd they pay for a me but everyone else takes it as a given. They aren't thinking of you on the day though and I don't blame them. If you do go up and talk to them or take pics they may ask if you have been fed but Like mentioned, I have had plenty of head waiters say they will do it now or at a certain time and it never came or you got a bowl of cold shit at 10:30 PM.

I was more patient ( soft) years ago but now I get the shits easy and am not afraid to get direct if I have to. In my experience, it's not generally the B&G that don't want to feed you, it's the tight/ slack arsed reception place that are getting paid 10's of thousands and make out like one more plate of their pre prepared slop is going to make the difference between the staff getting paid and not.

I do think I'm entitled to a feed. I have been with them all freaking day working my arse off and there is little opportunity to eat even if you do take something. When everyone else is sitting round feeding their face and often the amount of food is a big social showoff, then I don't see why I should be having sandwiches I made 12 hours ago sitting in the car.
Fk that and anyone who is too damn tight to have a bit of consideration for someone, paid or not that has been working for them all day. If they want to give me a lunch hour, fine, if not, then you better provide if you want me to stay there.

I gave the cable guy Coffee and cake the other morning and he was here 30 Min.
To me it's just what you do as a sign of basic respect.

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:02 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pet Peeve #674

Cooler in my car w/ ice and I have snacks, drinks and a sub I bought earlier.

I can toss down a meal in 5min easy. Never been to a reception that didn't have parking directly outside.

A quick chat with the MC will tell you when the speeches are.

Obviously photographers need to eat by the time the reception rolls around. But this industry obsession with needing to be provided a meal - and even worse, the exact time you want it(!) - is hilariously self-entitled.

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:15 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pet Peeve #674

I just did a wedding this weekend where my awesome bride and groom had the groomen went to get us hainam chicken and boba drink for lunch, and steak for dinner.

I had more time to shoot, energy and deliver my best set ever. I'm really happy I can deliver it for this considerate and very sweet couple.

Sep 18, 2017 at 03:14 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pet Peeve #674

ZachOly wrote:

Because I don't want to leave the premises. I eat then because, the bride and groom finish first and I have some time to steal them away while everyone else is eating. All in how you look at it and plan things.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password