New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Jonathan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

I know I'm far from the only one who enjoys Steve's videos and e-books. His "Secrets to the Nikon Aufofocus system" e-book is excellent....sooo I thought I'd share this link for anyone who has not already seen it. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Qz_GVgNbMY0

Sep 10, 2017 at 06:50 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Thanks for posting it

Also, just a quick note to those taking a look - the unboxing part of the video is just a few minutes - the vast majority is setup info.

Sep 10, 2017 at 09:37 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Great video Steve. Thanks for putting it together and thanks for sharing Jonathan.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:11 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

I'm sure it's great, but there's a problem...I don't have a d850 (at least not yet). All of Steve's stuff is superb.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:50 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Excellent work by Steve (thanks Steve!). I've been following Steve's recommended settings and techniques for a while now and have to say the work well for me -- highly recommended.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:25 AM
JSW3
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

cohenfive wrote:
I'm sure it's great, but there's a problem...I don't have a d850 (at least not yet). All of Steve's stuff is superb.

+1 - Oredered at 8:57am - 8/24 from B&H but no ship date yet.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:28 AM
marc2307
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Another very professional setup video Steve

As I don't take delivery of my D850 until the 21st here in Switzerland, I'd be keen to see if the same Dynamic AF issue.........sorry "feature" from the D5/500 is still evident on the D850?

TFS

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:49 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Question for Steve or anyone else who may know.

Is there a way to use one of the function buttons to default to a specific shutter speed? For birding, I often like to walk around in Manual mode at 1/2000th of a second with dynamic AF set for multiple points depending on the size of the birds I'm looking for but would be really nice if when you encountered a bird sitting in a darker part of the trees, you could use on of the function buttons to go to a specified lower shutter speed for shooting the bird while sitting and then still have the ability to release the function button to immediately regain the faster shutter speed if it flies away.

I don't think it is possible but thought I'd ask....

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

marc2307 wrote:
Another very professional setup video Steve

As I don't take delivery of my D850 until the 21st here in Switzerland, I'd be keen to see if the same Dynamic AF issue.........sorry "feature" from the D5/500 is still evident on the D850?

TFS

I hate to reopen that can of worms... But...

The D850 acts exactly the same as the D5/D500. So, at this point I think Nikon likes the new behavior with the MultiCam 20K module better than the old behavior with previous AF modules.

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:46 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Hardcore wrote:

Is there a way to use one of the function buttons to default to a specific shutter speed? For birding, I often like to walk around in Manual mode at 1/2000th of a second with dynamic AF set for multiple points depending on the size of the birds I'm looking for but would be really nice if when you encountered a bird sitting in a darker part of the trees, you could use on of the function buttons to go to a specified lower shutter speed for shooting the bird while
...Show more

As far as I know, there's no way to do it - I just checked the menus on the D850 and no dice. Although, now that you mention it, I would really like to have that feature as well - I can think of a LOT of times I could have used it.

Right now, I just use M+ Auto ISO. I can switch SS pretty quickly that way and the camera makes the appropriate ISO adjustment. Still like your idea better.

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:50 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Hardcore wrote:

Is there a way to use one of the function buttons to default to a specific shutter speed? For birding, I often like to walk around in Manual mode at 1/2000th of a second with dynamic AF set for multiple points depending on the size of the birds I'm looking for but would be really nice if when you encountered a bird sitting in a darker part of the trees, you could use on of the function buttons to go to a specified lower shutter speed for shooting the bird while
...Show more

On alternative would be to set a 1/2000 shutter speed for Manual mode and use that for BIF, then switch to Aperture Priority mode (w/Auto ISO configured to set the desired shutter speed scaling relative to focal length) when the bird is sitting.

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:03 AM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Steve Perry wrote:

The D850 acts exactly the same as the D5/D500. So, at this point I think Nikon likes the new behavior with the MultiCam 20K module better than the old behavior with previous AF modules.

Hey Steve,

don't leave the lid off as them worms will all start wriggling out, I tried the Dynamic AF too

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:58 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

may I pin the link to this video in the resource hub area?
nice job

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:03 AM
marc2307
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Steve Perry wrote:

So it appears the worm has turned......and not for the better, real shame.

Many thanks Steve for the confirmation.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Dj R wrote:
may I pin the link to this video in the resource hub area?
nice job

Sure thing - thanks!

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

snapsy wrote:
On alternative would be to set a 1/2000 shutter speed for Manual mode and use that for BIF, then switch to Aperture Priority mode (w/Auto ISO configured to set the desired shutter speed scaling relative to focal length) when the bird is sitting.

That is an option. Set my Record button for mode selection changing so that makes this possible with one hand. (awesome feature btw! Just have to figure out a way to remove Shutter priority & Program mode from the list now so I just have manual mode and aperture priority mode to switch between)

Also set my function button to one step/stop changes so I can quickly dial up and down the shutter by full stops if needed.

Edited on Sep 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:56 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Hardcore wrote:
That is an option. Set my Record button for mode selection changing so that makes this possible with one hand. (awesome feature btw!)

Also set my function button to one step/stop changes so I can quickly dial up and down the shutter by full stops if needed.

Another option is to use the shooting menu banks (w/extended banks enabled), then assign a Fn button to that.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

snapsy wrote:
Another option is to use the shooting menu banks (w/extended banks enabled), then assign a Fn button to that.

I have never had much luck with the memory banks but will definitely try that out. Thanks!

EDIT:

Ya, think that is the best option snapsy. Set it up for what I like to shoot and it works great. Just going to take some time to get used to the button pressing.

So this custom shooting bank... Is this new? It is different than the custom setting menus? Really like this feature!!!!

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

I watched the video just before starting this thread last night and it was very hard to watch Steve "fondling" his new camera while I'm still waiting for mine.

Steve, feel free to send yours to my house for a week or two and I'll start your review process for you. That would be the neighborly thing for both of us to do I think.

Sep 11, 2017 at 05:06 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Steve Perry's D850 Menu Setup Video is great

Steve there are many excellent tips. Thank you very much!

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.