Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

Gregory Edge
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

Later this year I will have the opportunity to sail on board a US Navy aircraft carrier. This is a "Tiger Cruise" meant for family members to actually see what life is like for our Naval personnel. Cameras are allowed and I am deciding what to bring. I don't want to miss the photographic opportunity of a lifetime.

There will be an Airshow and other weapons demonstrations during the cruise.

I would like your inout. I can probably spend no more than $2,000 on additional/new gear.

I currently own:

Canon 5D Mark III
24-105 f4 lens
70-200L f2.8 II
100-400L f/4.5-5.6 Version I

Please let me know your thoughts....

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

Ex naval aviator here. Don't think you'll need much more than that. Might not need the 70-200 and 100-400. Of the two, I'd bring the 100-400 but that's me. You might want a wide angle if you're going to do shots of the below decks spaces, maybe a 16-35 f4 IS? I could see some unusual launch deck perspectives with that lens. Anyway just the 5D + 24-105 will get you some great memories.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:29 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

Definitely an UWA zoom.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:04 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

How about an STM lens and a hot shoe mic for some video?

Plenty of CF cards, especially if you are going with video.

Maybe a couple of Op/Tech rain sleeves in case you have some bad weather.

Which ship?

Mark

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:08 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

I think your gear is close to ideal. The 24-105 f/4 L IS is a great walk around lens, and is wide enough on a full frame for most below deck close quarters images. Its IS will help some for the low light, and your 5D3 is pretty good at higher ISO's. If you happen to have a wide fast prime, you should likely bring it. And, if you think you want a wide fast prime or zoom in your future for other things, you might consider getting one.

Your 100-400 will serve you well for the flying images of what ever airshow they put on. A high speed pass of any fighter is a great thing to see and experience, and it could be pretty close to you for an at sea carrier vantage. If you have been considering the upgrade to the 100-400 version II, now might be the time to do that, but your copy of the version I lens may be serving you well.

I once had the chance to be on deck adjacent to the threshold of the waist catapult when they did launches, and that was a fantastic experience both photographically, and for the total experience of a fighter doing a take off 75 feet away from you and with full burner power applied. If you get the chance to see launches and traps from any vantage point, don't miss it. They will likely provide ear protection if needed, but that is something you might also bring along.

Another thing you can consider for your Tiger cruise is to spend time thanking individual crew for their service to our country. Without our service members, we would be nothing.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:24 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

msalvetti wrote:
How about an STM lens and a hot shoe mic for some video?

The 5D3 live view/video AF is quite primitive, i.e. not during actual video and no AF tracking. Don't think an STM lens will help much. The 24-105 will do just as well IMHO. I think you could still get some nice video if you live within its limitations.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:48 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

16-35IS is an obvious choice for below deck, you simply must have one of those, otherwise decent flash

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

A 16-35 would be an excellent choice. Lots of tight quarters on board a ship, no matter how large. The new f/2.8 III or the f/4 IS would both be ideal. I would also bring the 70-200 as a secondary lens for portraits and long shots and details. But the 16-35 is almost mandatory.

I would leave the other stuff at home just to make things easier.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:10 PM
hokiejokey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

The 100-400 may actually be too much. They had an airshow locally and I found myself wanting the 70-200 more than the 100-400.

Besides, the 70-200ii is a much better lens than the 100-400i

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

I am thinking of bringing the 24-105 and 70-200. Possibly would add a 1.4x II teleconverter for a bit of extra reach without the weight and space of another lens.

I have been wanting a high quality point and shoot for when I can't use my DLSR and for my wife to use. I might buy one to use for below deck and walking around. Now the search for one begins.

To the person who asked....USS Nimitz

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:23 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

hokiejokey wrote:
The 100-400 may actually be too much. They had an airshow locally and I found myself wanting the 70-200 more than the 100-400.

Besides, the 70-200ii is a much better lens than the 100-400i

I think the 70-200 II paired with a 1.4X TC III is a smart move.

16-35/4 IS

Faster prime of choice to bridge 35/4 to 70/2.8

PIck ONE:
50/1.8/1.4
85/1.8/1.4
etc.

70-200 II
1.4X TC III

With the TC on your 70-200 (i.e. 280), you're at 280/4 WO ... nicer for shutter speeds than f/5.6 WO, and likely a comparable IQ, even if you are giving up a few pixels vs. the 400mm.

I spent years as a ship's photographer armed with a 28mm, 50mm and 75-150 and a 2X TC to get to 300mm (before I finally got a 300mm). One for wide, one for low light, one for long (and the TC for not long enough ). Anything more than that and you'll be trippin' over which lens to mount.

Also, you'll appreciate the IS since you may not have your "sea legs". Not that bird farms move of any significance compared to the small boys, but it won't hurt to have the better IS as you're trying to "swing around" and capture things that are moving WAY FASTER than you were expecting.

With the original 100-400, you'll be much more dependent on your shutter speed and rock steady hand (no offense, but it'll mean fewer keepers), yet WO @ 5.6 is a stop slower shutter speed, or a stop more ISO.

If I were going really lite ... 16-35/4 IS & 70-200/2.8 IS II & 1.4X TC III. The middle ground can be covered by cropping or a bump in ISO. You'll likely live on those two lenses anyway. I rarely used my 50mm, living mostly on the 28mm & 75-150mm.

Most of all ... Enjoy !!!

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:30 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

Gregory Edge wrote:

"I have been wanting a high quality point and shoot for when I can't use my DLSR and for my wife to use. I might buy one to use for below deck and walking around. Now the search for one begins."

I am very happy with my G5X. Take a look at the reviews. Feels like a "real" camera rather than just a thick rectangle and takes very good video and photos. Plus it has a viewfinder and hot shoe for an external flash. I have the 430EXII.

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help deciding what to bring for Tiger Cruise.

I'd take a 16-35/4L IS and a second body. Ideally, another 5D III.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password