New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

pageone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

I'm currently vacationing in Scotland (Skye), and took my 5d Mark III to shoot some photos at the Faerie Glen. It was raining at a good clip, but the 5D III is supposed to be weather sealed. About 20 minutes into the rain, Manual went into BULB mode. I brought it to the car and dried it off, and then back to the B&B for a closer look. I did a full reset, even removing the date battery.

All of the buttons work fine, but the mode dial doesn't seem to be switching modes properly.

C3 reads as P
C2 reads as C1p
C1 reads properly as C1p
B reads properly as Bulb
M reads as Bulb
Av reads as Tv
Tv reads as P
P reads properly as P
A+ reads as P

I had the camera turned on, using a BG-e11 battery grip with a hand strap, walking around for about 20 minutes or so in moderate rain. Is it possible something fried? I think I need to send it to Canon CPS, but with two more days on Skye and having taken none of the shots I came for, I'm hoping beyond hope it's some obscure setting throwing this off.

Cheers,

John

Edited on Mar 24, 2018 at 02:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2017 at 02:41 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

I can't see it being a setting, since you don't mention having changed any settings. It smells to me like water getting in somewhere and wreaking some havoc. I hope you can make enough use of it as is to get some of the shots you want...

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:17 PM
pageone
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

My gut says you're right. I don't think it's under warranty (2nd owner), but pretty annoyed that this would happen to a weather sealed 5D III after 20 minutes in some rain.

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:47 PM
pageone
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

Let the camera sit overnight, and it worked perfectly today!

Sep 11, 2017 at 02:33 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

pageone wrote:

I'd still try and dry it our further if you can.

Get a plastic bag and some rice or silica and put it in the bag when you aren't using it and overnight for a few days

Sep 11, 2017 at 02:35 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

pageone wrote:

Water gets in thru the lens mount unless using a lens with a gasket. A water resistant lens is necessary to keep the weather seal intact. Some of those lenses need a filter to be sealed as well.

Sincethe camera has had some amount of water in it, I'd try to dry it out, and get it to a service center where it can be dismantled and possibly dried even more. It is probably minor, but have it checked out anyway. Canon generally will not repair a water damaged camera, they tend to have continual issues popping up that can't be predicted due to corrosion of circuit boards and switches even after the water is gone.

Apple puts a color changing indicator in iphones that allows them to detect water damage. They will not fix it if there is water damage. I suspect that Canon does something similar. Its probably easy to spot a water damaged circuit board.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:36 PM
pageone
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

I'm using a 35L II with a B+W filter, so it should be sealed all the way around. I'll put it in with some rice when we get home in a few days. Wondering if a combination of the cold and moisture was causing the dial not to switch modes properly. It's used to Hawaii weather =)

Sep 12, 2017 at 07:40 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

pageone wrote:
I'm using a 35L II with a B+W filter, so it should be sealed all the way around. I'll put it in with some rice when we get home in a few days. Wondering if a combination of the cold and moisture was causing the dial not to switch modes properly. It's used to Hawaii weather =)

Not sure but it could have had some existing problems from living in Hawaii and the moisture/rain just made it worse. The camera is supposed to be sort of weather sealed. I forget the word they used but I don't think it was quite weather sealed (I could be wrong). It's like "more than our XXD but less than our 1D" like sealing.

Good luck to you and hope you'll still be able to take some shots.

I shoot in the rain at baseball more than I like and I've found that my 1 series cameras are okay but I question the sealing because I've opened the CF slot and seen water on the perimeter of it and same with the battery spot as well.

I should probably start using a rain cover.

Sep 12, 2017 at 07:59 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

Weather sealed does not mean weather proof. So while it's hard to quantify what "raining at a good clip" means, I don't believe any camera is designed to shoot in the rain. What they generally mean is they can withstand some misty conditions, perhaps even a light drizzle. If it was coming down hard enough to "puddle" in the control dial well, then it's probably water related.

I agree that using some form of desiccant is your best move. Sorry to hear about your troubles

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:00 AM
pageone
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

It wasn't a tropical storm, but wasn't just drizzling either. It hasn't given me any trouble since that day, I've had two good days of shooting in without so much as a glitch, so hopefully it's nothing lasting. I'll still get it looked at when we get back home though, to be safe, and will get a rain cover for the next time we go to Scotland

This did happen at the Faerie Glen, it's a mysterious place. Not that I believe in that sort of thing

I always through weather sealed meant it would keep water out aside from dropping it in a lake. The rain certainly didn't seem hard enough to get through the sealing, but it only takes one drop. Thanks again everyone for your insight!

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:47 AM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

Just curious: Did you change shooting mode, thereby pressing the mode dial lock while it was raining?

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:56 AM
pageone
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

riokid wrote:
Just curious: Did you change shooting mode, thereby pressing the mode dial lock while it was raining?

No, I always keep it in Manual. That would have been my first thought too, rotating some water in the mechanism. I had it in my hand via handgrip the whole time, wasn't even shooting yet although the camera was on.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:07 AM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d Mark III acting up - Mode Dial

pageone wrote:
No, I always keep it in Manual. That would have been my first thought too, rotating some water in the mechanism. I had it in my hand via handgrip the whole time, wasn't even shooting yet although the camera was on.

At least it was rain and not salt water (or any other water with minerals in) - it should evaporate and leave little in the way of conductive residue and not create connections that should not be there - like salt residue can.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.