Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going Native

Ty Dan

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:17 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going Native

It's nice, well cutesy. I'm a long ways from PC, but I have a problem with the title: "Going Native." Approbation/misappropriation is a challenging subject, and while I've often been in the heart of such conversations (firestorms), I really don't know what is acceptable or even if “acceptable” is acceptable. It depends on the people and the intent and …

"Native" covers so many things. I am a "native" American. My people have been here for 300+ years. My Tohono O'odham neighbors have been here - in their world view - since the beginning of time. How would I contest such a creation "myth?"

Native? Russian Orthodox community on the extreme northwest of Alaska, there for 150+ years? Their Aleut neighbors? Native? The Seven Nations? The Yavapai? North Carolina mountain folk - 300 years in their isolated towns? (Some of are distant relatives of mine.) It's a long list of candidates.

Perhaps you can catch my movement. Here you've taken a cheap war bonnet trinket (Originally only used by a few of the upper plains people such as the Lakota, the Cheyenne, perhaps the Crow.) placed it on an attractive "white" child, and smeared a bit of paint under her eyes.

Art? Kitsch? Banal? Provocative? Cute? Demeaning? Many would say that I'm absurd in my observations here. "It's just a picture. Chill!" Still our every creative act expands/narrows/expresses/mocks our culture and its antecedents.

I abhor censorship and am not suggesting that you can't express yourself short of the classic "Yelling fire in a crowed theater." But then are you yelling Fire!?

I live where casual contempt for the people who have been here for 100s? 1000s? of years is endemic. People don't even know they are doing it. Perhaps this is where you are at? Perhaps you are suggesting something else? Perhaps I just need another cup of coffee?

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:18 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going Native

OntheRez wrote:
It's nice, well cutesy. I'm a long ways from PC, but I have a problem with the title: "Going Native." Approbation/misappropriation is a challenging subject, and while I've often been in the heart of such conversations (firestorms), I really don't know what is acceptable or even if “acceptable” is acceptable. It depends on the people and the intent and …

"Native" covers so many things. I am a "native" American. My people have been here for 300+ years. My Tohono O'odham neighbors have been here - in their world view - since the beginning of time. How would I contest such
...Show more

Ty

Sep 12, 2017 at 05:04 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Going Native

OntheRez wrote:
I live where casual contempt for the people who have been here for 100s? 1000s? of years is endemic. /quote]

Well, so what!!!

Sep 12, 2017 at 05:28 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Going Native

that can be implied racism at best non empathetic. to the native american who has received the blunt end of american caucasian imperialism.. whose land was taken stolen by the force of gun. genocide rape and pillaging of the women and children. forced to live on a pittance of their land. i could go on, however.

you sir should be ashamed of yourself, deplorable. they say racism is alive and well in these united states of this america in the year of the Lord 2017. end of line.....

Edited on Sep 14, 2017 at 07:14 AM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:28 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Going Native

Well, RH, I can certainly say that PC is alive and well amongst the SJW's. You give quite credible support to their ilk. When I think of the Native American, I reflect on what they did to Custer, and well dispensed ... last time I checked, the Lakota were not lamenting their fate in that engagement. ... Truth be told, though you may not like it, Shite happens to everybody, irrespective of any demographic, race, religion, etc.. So, there ya have it....

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:16 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Going Native

unless she is a tribal member of a plains tribe there are liable to be some issues with the photo

- why not pose her on a RR track?

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Going Native

OntheRez wrote:

"Native" covers so many things. I am a "native" American. My people have been here for 300+ years. My Tohono O'odham neighbors have been here - in their world view - since the beginning of time. How would I contest such
...Show more

As soon as I saw the title I knew that within 5 posts, someone would object. The PC police can't help themselves.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Going Native

Andre Labonte wrote:

As soon as I saw the title I knew that within 5 posts, someone would object. The PC police can't help themselves.

That should have been your first clue that something is amiss. My wife is directly descended from Cherokee Chief John Ross. You might want to do some reading about how this country treated the Cherokee and other First People of North America to gain some empathy and understanding of why the image posted may be problematic. Some may consider this akin to posting a photo of a white boy in black face. Even you should understand why that would be a problem.

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:40 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Going Native

Custer was a coward a rapist and practiced genocide. he attacked villages of women and children and the elderly killing them all. he was a despicable individual on the level of christopher columbus. you need to read your history before you open thy mouth in ignorance spewing white washed his-story.

Truth be told, though you may not like it, Shite happens to everybody, irrespective of any demographic, race, religion, etc.. So, there ya have it....

no you don't have it. although there is truth in your statement. there has never been a more destructive force on people of color all over this planet than the caucasian. europeans have decimated damned near every colored race they have encountered. the effects of colonialism and eurocentrism still exist even to this very day.

but that is another topic not appropriate for this forum. so i let the dead horse remain as such. end of line.....

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 10:50 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:56 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Going Native

re Custer, you left out vain glory boy

He got what he deserved

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:59 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Going Native

I think "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" should be required reading by all high school students.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Going Native

dmacmillan wrote:
That should have been your first clue that something is amiss. My wife is directly descended from Cherokee Chief John Ross. You might want to do some reading about how this country treated the Cherokee and other First People of North America to gain some empathy and understanding of why the image posted may be problematic. Some may consider this akin to posting a photo of a white boy in black face. Even you should understand why that would be a problem.

Yes, and what is amiss is a bunch of over-sensitive people who take umbrage any anything (i.e. the PC police) ... get a thicker skin.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:19 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Going Native

Andre Labonte wrote:
... get a thicker skin.

Wow! Just wow.

I'm willing to bet you haven't read the book I mentioned, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Read it, then come back and tell me to get a thicker skin.

I'm sure the OP meant no harm. I cringed a little but bit my tongue until your incredibly insensitive response to ontherez's measured post. You've mentioned your religiosity in the past, but your attitude runs counter to the teachings of Christ.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:46 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Going Native

dmacmillan wrote:
Wow! Just wow.

I'm willing to bet you haven't read the book I mentioned, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Read it, then come back and tell me to get a thicker skin.

I'm sure the OP meant no harm. I cringed a little but bit my tongue until your incredibly insensitive response to ontherez's measured post. You've mentioned your religiosity in the past, but your attitude runs counter to the teachings of Christ.

I'm well aware of the raw deal the American Natives have had at the hands of Europeans in the 1700's, the American government in the 1800's and the 1st third of the 1900's; their culture has largely been destroyed ... but that is the past.

However, today, I see a variety of special interest minority groups, which in general, are hyper-sensitive and use their hyper-sensitivity to get attention and cause problems.

So while I agree that the OP's post was not in the best taste, I hardly see it as offensive and deserving of the attention it has received. People need to learn to live their lives today; the past is the past and cannot be undone.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:12 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Going Native

the question is not whether the past can be undone, it is whether the effects of the past on the present can be altered

education can accomplish that

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password