Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Ai_Print
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

I use my D750 to send jpeg selects to clients for web / social via my phone all the time. It was super easy to set up and is now super easy to use.

But in trying to setup the D850 to do the same task via Snapbridge, I just can't seem to get the thing to even pair correctly and I am not sure how to get the same simple task done on the D850. I'm not at all interested in using the phone as a remote, just need to send selected jpegs out once and awhile, want one simple switch in My Menu like I have on the 750.

Am I just a complete idiot or what am I missing here?

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:42 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

None of my current bodies have Snapbridge, so I can't make a comment based on first hand experience (I've been using Eye Fi Mobi Wifi cards for several years now, only use then to send JPG's to my tablet, am quite happy with them and plan to use it in future when I buy a D850)

But this D850 reviewer https://gwegner.de/review/nikon-d850-review-teil-1/ has a strong opinion about it (basically disliking the way Nikon has implemented it big time)
However in his review he makes a few remarks on user based experiences using, or better trying to use the Snapbridge with the D850

Maybe it can help you somewhat

PS Review is in German, so maybe you will need to use some kind of translator app (being Dutch, I speak several languages, including German, so haven't tried to find such an app or make a translation, sorry )

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:46 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

I am not a fan of Snapbridge. I also use Sony, Leica and Fuji and I have to say that Snapbridge is by far the worse. Even when connected properly, it takes a long time before I can view thumbnail on the phone to select pictures to download.
I am very much tempted to just go back to my Toshiba wifi SD card as it is so much faster and easier to use. Remote control via snapbridge is really too basic to be of much use over simple cable release, I think.
PS it works a little better when there is no competing wifi network. At home, it is almost useless as my phone kept switching to home wifi regularly (don't know if it is my phone or Nikon Wifi's problem though).

Edited on Sep 10, 2017 at 05:37 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:18 PM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

I rarely used the feature with my 750 (and probably wont use it a ton with my 850), but I found the new bluetooth implementation a lot easier to deal with compared to the wifi connection. I hated the wifi since it was such a hassle to connect to on my iphone if I was in a location where I had an existing wifi network configured on my phone.

Did you pair the two using the snapbridge app and through the "connect to smart device" item in the D850 setup menu? I just turn on bluetooth on both devices and access the photos through snapbridge's "download selected photos", decline changing to a wifi connection, and the photos start popping up after a few seconds of loading.

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:29 PM
flyingpoint
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Having the EXACT same problem. I don't have the answer for you, but I feel less "clueless" after seeing your post.

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:36 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

OK, I played a bit with snapbridge today and this is really bad.
My iphone and D850 is already paired.
It took about 10-15s for Snapbridge to sync with camera when I opened Snapbridge.
My XQD card has about 6-700 pictures (half NEF half jpg, pretty reasonable amount for one day shooting). When I selected camera icon to go into remote/download selected pictures and select download picture option, it took a few minutes to open up thumbnail page (either with bluetooth or wifi connection). Selected one picture to download took a few seconds which was fine. But as soon as I went back to thumbnail page, it took minutes again while I get "downloading information from the camera" message before I can scroll and select one more picture. I think in the same time that I can download all the pictures from my xqd card into my computer, I can may be download 3-4 selected 2mb files from the camera into my phone. Totally hopeless.

Sep 10, 2017 at 06:16 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

It's all so tedious.

Why can't it be a simple BlueTooth that remembers and hooks up automatically. I mean, how hard is this

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Just got back from a shoot. I am going to delete the app and then try to pair it again. I can't even get it paired at the moment.

I might be keeping my 750 for this reason, super simple, fast, no issues at all. I used to use eye-fi cards but they are super slow in terms of being a usable card in a production realm.

Another odd thing off topic, I uploaded 600 or so NEF files onto my brand new 15" MacBook Pro this eve and when I went to use Photo Mechanic it really heated up the machine. Then, after about an hour of work, I started to get colored lines as if my video card was on the way out. In closing out those programs, it has cooled off and the lines are gone.

Love the camera though, other than super lame Snapbridge, no issues.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:54 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

I have set up Snapbridge on my Samsung S8+ and my D850 is recording both RAW + Jpeg for now until we have the latest updates from Adobe for Lr. Snapbridge is working surprisingly fast with no issues. There may be issues with other phones or having to also record both RAW and Jpegs? I have the latest Sony XQD G series card 128Gb so this may speed up things.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:11 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

With iphone6+ the connection is very stable but it is just so slow to do anything from the phone. For now, it is much easier and faster to do everything from the camera. Generally I don't have the camera transfer every jpg to my phone. Only a few pictures here and there so it is much easier to deselect every pictures on the camera then use select to send to smart device in the camera and select all the pictures that I want and send it that way. then it is quite fast. I just have to remember to turn off plane mode and turn on auto download first on my phone.

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:00 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

What I want is easy reliable geo-taging ability using bluetooth to my phone. Has anyone tested that and have any thoughts on that aspect yet?

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:48 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Ai_Print wrote:
Just got back from a shoot. I am going to delete the app and then try to pair it again. I can't even get it paired at the moment.

I might be keeping my 750 for this reason, super simple, fast, no issues at all. I used to use eye-fi cards but they are super slow in terms of being a usable card in a production realm.

Another odd thing off topic, I uploaded 600 or so NEF files onto my brand new 15" MacBook Pro this eve and when I went to use Photo Mechanic it really heated up
...Show more

Do you have Photo Mechanic set to render raw files or use the embedded previews? That doesn't bode well for my 2012 Macbook pro. It could, perhaps, also be helped by an update by Camera bits for proper faster support?

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:52 AM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Pavel wrote:
Do you have Photo Mechanic set to render raw files or use the embedded previews? That doesn't bode well for my 2012 Macbook pro. It could, perhaps, also be helped by an update by Camera bits for proper faster support?

I'm not sure what the deal is with the lines, I was getting them after heavy use of LR last night, might be independent of the new camera. I am sorting it out with Apple at the moment.

As for Snapbridge, I deleted the camera from my Wifi prefs on the phone and started from scratch. That seems to have worked although it is still a very clunky app, wish it were a lot better.

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:03 PM
TonyMelt

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Hate to admit it but I’m glad I am not the only one with this same problem. This is my first attemp to use snapbridge and so far it sucks. I can’t figure out why it won’t pair either. Nikon are you reading this forum? If so some of your loyal customers would like a fix.

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:32 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

You have to wonder about Nikon's corporate culture that something so buggy as Snapbridge works its way thru and into the Nikon structure.

Which is to say how could a reasonable person believe Nikon's specs and claimed performance of their cameras when they don't withdraw Snap Bridge which is, at best, sub standard and will remain so?

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:53 AM
agentbird
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Nikon updated Snapbridge on ios yesterday, and I was quick to update the app on my iPhone 7.
It took me at least an hour, with uninstalling/installing the app, back and forth with bluetooth and wifi.

But in the end it worked and now the app and connectivity is much better, far more stable and the transfer speed is much improved. It also handles video transfer now, even though it's pretty slow.

Nikon could really learn a thing or two from Sony when it comes to transfering files to a phone/tablet though..

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:22 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

When it finally works on Windows, I might be interested. I use a surface tablet.

Nov 29, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

SoundHound wrote:
You have to wonder about Nikon's corporate culture that something so buggy as Snapbridge works its way thru and into the Nikon structure.

Which is to say how could a reasonable person believe Nikon's specs and claimed performance of their cameras when they don't withdraw Snap Bridge which is, at best, sub standard and will remain so?

I'd like to know why they advertised the D500 as having wifi, when it clearly does not.

It's got snapbridge.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:01 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

็Hmmm.... bad bad mistake. I got snapbridge to work with my Samsung Note 8 pretty well. Connection was solid and it did what I needed it to do, transferred a few small jpgs here and there. Then I saw that Snapbridge 2.0 just came out and now I think it supposed to let me change f and ss in remote control mode so I upgraded to 2.0 version on my Note 8. Bad mistake, now I cannot pair my D850 at all. My phone sees it in bluetooth connection but Snapbridge just kept searching and searching and stuck there.
Moral of the story, if you ever get Snapbridge to work, don't ever think of changing or upgrading

Dec 01, 2017 at 09:46 AM
ATOR

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Snapbridge: Am I completely daft?

Skip the v2 pairing if you already had Snapbridge v1, your phone is still paired.

Dec 01, 2017 at 12:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.