Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

Liquidstone wrote:
Pareng Pete, before you dismount it from the camera for storage, try to set the focus to your most used distance. In the unfortunate event that it conks out, you can still use it by focusing with your feet, ala macro lens on rail.

Pare, that is one very creative idea ......will do.

Sep 11, 2017 at 02:58 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

Good for you it works again!

I can't get my mind around this. Only 20 years old and already no change on normal repair.

Would not have expected this kind of throw away culture for these top lenses. Sure keeps me from ever buying one used. Which is a shame as they are great optics.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:18 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

Now, can we get a good buy?

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:46 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

alundeb wrote:

Anders, you could, but you would not want to have a lens that has been exhibiting operating hiccups, even though priced low.
I need to monitor its operation for a while before I'd regain full confidence in it.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:56 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

PetKal wrote:
I've used rubbing alcohol on microfiber tissue, but there are some other specialized compounds to clean electrical contacts ( corrosion, grease removal).
The lens contact disc is not difficult to remove from the mount, but that is not needed for good contact cleaning.

I am still concerned about the issue because those contacts looked clean to my naked eye even before I rubbed them with alcohol, yet the lens was dead.

Having spent a good number of years running a lab that dealt with electrical connections, the issue is likely wear of the gold surface to the point that microscopic pores to the base metal open, and corrosion lets a clear insulating film form on the contact surface. Thats a big issue for military electronics that are stored for years and then must be ready to work every time when activated. The plating quality of those contacts is critical.

Cleaning the contacts occasionally should fix it, even using the lens more frequently will help wipe the film away as it starts to form. I don't expect that a new set of contacts are available, but in any event, it might be years before it happens again. This is a situation where frequent use helps. Storing it for long periods lets the film build up to the point where the rubbing action of installing the lens does not break thru the insulation film.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

alundeb wrote:

You have the same luck buying any one of these lenses used now.

It can work today... and then crap out tomorrow.

Other sellers may not be as forthcoming about any issues/hiccups though....

Sep 11, 2017 at 05:07 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

scalesusa wrote:
Having spent a good number of years running a lab that dealt with electrical connections, the issue is likely wear of the gold surface to the point that microscopic pores to the base metal open, and corrosion lets a clear insulating film form on the contact surface. Thats a big issue for military electronics that are stored for years and then must be ready to work every time when activated. The plating quality of those contacts is critical.

Cleaning the contacts occasionally should fix it, even using the lens more frequently will help wipe the film away as it starts to
...Show more

Right on, Ed, we speak the same language.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:05 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

danski0224 wrote:
You have the same luck buying any one of these lenses used now.

It can work today... and then crap out tomorrow.

Other sellers may not be as forthcoming about any issues/hiccups though....

Danski, especially in pre- 200 f/2.0 days, the lure of 200 f/1.8 was so strong that ex condition lens copies used to fetch up to $5k, or even more for mint specimens. Alas, many of them were only cosmetically nice (or even enhanced in a S.Korean paint shop specializing in 200 f/1.8 barrel re-paint), whereas the lens had seen extensive use in some sports photographer's hands. Yet, I think all around those 200 f/1.8 copies have fared rather well, many of them still working OK, although we've heard of some failures as well.

No doubt, it's not easy spending $5k on a lens that can fail at any moment with slim chances of a successful repair. However, that was the only way one could get such a highly coveted lens.

Today things are different because 200 f/2 IS is available, and the market for 200 f/1.8 has caved in.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:16 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

The 200 1.8 is still routinely selling for around $3k, which is a substantial percentage of a new 200 2.0.

Considering that the 1.8 is essentially non repairable, one would think that the price should be much lower.

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:07 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

Because the 1.8 carries a certain cachet.

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

Gave the 200 f/1.8 a good workout today, and it worked normally, thus my hopes for its life expectancy are on the rise.

Edited on Sep 20, 2017 at 10:52 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I may have to say goodby to an old friend, or not yet ?

Good news on the 200 1.8.
One day Petkal, just one day, I'm gong to take a shot that matches one of yours, then I'll be happy.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:45 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.