Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Milky Way in the Black Rock Desert...editing advice? (New...

brodyq

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way in the Black Rock Desert...editing advice? (Newbie help)

I'm pretty new at trying out Milky Way photos, and I don't want them to look too over-processed/fakey. I've been staring at these for a while and don't know what else to do to them, or if I've done anything terribly wrong. They just don't look..... good? Sharp? Contrasty enough?

It was pre-event for Burning Man festival, so there were more lights and ambient dust-haze in the air than I'd like (the Black Rock Desert is otherwise one of the darkest places in the US!), so they're sub-optimal in that regard. I was out goofing around and trying out different ISOs and times to see what works best for my camera. (Trying to NOT want a way better camera body, ha ha.....)

Advice? Criticism? Thoughts?

Both shot with my Nikon D5300, and a Tokina lens.

Self-portrait:
ISO3200, 11mm @ 30 seconds, f2.8

My awesome golf cart:
ISO1600, 11mm @ 28 seconds, f2.8

Thank you for helping me as I learn!!

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:16 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way in the Black Rock Desert...editing advice? (Newbie help)

The milky way looks best in the first one. I prefer not to have people standing in or light painting. Just a personal bias of mine. If it were me, I would use the first cropped just below the bright line below the hills. And of course no people. But of the two, as presented, it's the best.

I like the MW and sky in that image best, I like the hills backlit by some light and clouds, and I like the foreground better.

The gulf cart and the out of focus flags hurt the second and of course the sky and MW are not as good.

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:28 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way in the Black Rock Desert...editing advice? (Newbie help)

i agree with Ben. very nice image if the human wasn't in it.

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way in the Black Rock Desert...editing advice? (Newbie help)

+1 all around, but just personal preference like everyone else.

Without the person and the painted foregound #1 would have been a really nice shot.

Jeff

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:01 PM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way in the Black Rock Desert...editing advice? (Newbie help)

#1 is a lot more appealing composition, but #2 got the better post treatment. Try making the dark tones in #1 even darker.

Kelly

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:32 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way in the Black Rock Desert...editing advice? (Newbie help)

+1 @ much of what the others have said. The golf cart (even though you love it) and the banners really kill that shot.

Now your selfie shot has some goodness waiting to be pulled from it I think.

Here's my quick LR only edit just playing around to see what could be done. It's a bit strong but is for illustration purposes to give you the gist.

I think your camera would be fine for this type work but there are better out there just like everything else we run into in life. If you don't plan on doing a ton of astro work I wouldn't worry about it. More important is your lens choice for this type of work. Notice on the right your stars are kinda stretched, almost like star trails, yet on the right they are nice points of light. That's possibly a sign of a decentered lens and is very common with some 3rd party lenses. Although I have read good things about your lens so maybe something else happened there.

Dave

Sep 11, 2017 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password