New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

fpoet
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

I am presently using Canon gear for bird photography, and I am keeping an eye on what Sony does, especially with the recent introduction of the A9 and 100-400mm GM. I know these have not been around for a long time, but I would be interested in hearing folks who already have experience with the following in bird photography:

Sony A7RII + 100-400 GM
Same with 1.4x TC

Sony A6300 + 100-400 GM
Same with 1.4x TC (does it work in the first place)

What are you impressions generally speaking? How is the AF?

Thanks in advance

François

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:29 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

fpoet wrote:
I am presently using Canon gear for bird photography, and I am keeping an eye on what Sony does, especially with the recent introduction of the A9 and 100-400mm GM. I know these have not been around for a long time, but I would be interested in hearing folks who already have experience with the following in bird photography:

Sony A7RII + 100-400 GM
Same with 1.4x TC

Sony A6300 + 100-400 GM

Thanks in advance

François

Sony loaned me a copy of the lens and I ended up buying it! I have been using that lens on the A9 for quite some time now, with and without the 1.4X TC. I will go out later in the afternoon and I will make a point to mount the 2X TC this time around. So, far I have been impressed with the AF performance of the combo, and yes, the tracking capability of BIF is excellent.

Here is an image of the sequence I took 2 weeks ago. The burrowing owl caught a green June bug mid-air, flew back to the burrow and about to land in that image. And if you want to see (almost) the entire sequence, I posted 8 out of 15 or so in the Nature and Wildlife board. Here is the link: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1505969.

Joshua

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:47 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

I use the lens on an A6500 with and without the 1.4TC and I love it. In low light, it will hunt on occasion but otherwise, it's fast to lock and stay locked on the subject.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:23 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

fpoet wrote:

Sony A7RII + 100-400 GM
Same with 1.4x TC

Sony A6300 + 100-400 GM

Thanks in advance

François

Hi Francois. I have used the FE 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS with both TCs on A9, A7r2, and a6300.
If fast, no focus hunting AF is your requirement the A9 is clearly superior.
But the other cameras can take pictures with the lens and TCs.
However I have given up on using them for hummingbirds in flight and such.
I simply lost too many possible shots due to slow frame rate, slow emptying of buffer, and focus hunting.

I find the FE 70-300/4.5-5.6 G OSS a great match for the a6300 with third party battery grip though.
AF seems great for that combination.

K-H.

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:36 AM
tzhang4284
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

Have any of you experienced vignetting with the 1.4x TC on the 100-400 on the Sony A7RII? Very noticeable on my copy - could it be the lens hood or b+w protector (xs-pro version) causing it?

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

tzhang4284 wrote:
Have any of you experienced vignetting with the 1.4x TC on the 100-400 on the Sony A7RII? Very noticeable on my copy - could it be the lens hood or b+w protector (xs-pro version) causing it?

I used the loaner from Sony on my A7r II once or twice and I didn't notice any. I am sure that it is there when measured but, let's call it minimal and not readily visible. I haven't used my own copy on the A7r II since it is basically glued on the A9 now. By extending the FL using the 1.4X TC the vignetting issues should be even less than without the TC, at least in theory. I use lens hood all the time but I do not use any filter on all my lenses, including this one.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:27 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

AGeoJO wrote:
Sony loaned me a copy of the lens and I ended up buying it! I have been using that lens on the A9 for quite some time now, with and without the 1.4X TC. I will go out later in the afternoon and I will make a point to mount the 2X TC this time around. So, far I have been impressed with the AF performance of the combo, and yes, the tracking capability of BIF is excellent.

Here is an image of the sequence I took 2 weeks ago. The burrowing owl caught a green June bug mid-air, flew
...Show more

Nice OOF rendering for 560/8!

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:30 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Nice OOF rendering for 560/8!

Thank you, Fred! Fortunately, the lower position (my tripod was only partly extended and I was sitting on a low collapsible stool) threw the background OOF better than from a higher position.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:41 PM
fpoet
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

Thank you very much for the replies.

The A9-100-400mm combo looks quite impressive. Since my initial post, I have also seen some results with the A6300 and A7RII. Also very good. I will keep an eye on reports from Canon users switching to (or trying out) one of these combos.

It will be interesting to see if Sony comes up with longer lens options for wildlife photography.

François

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:09 PM
tzhang4284
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 100-400mm GM with 1.4x TC?

AGeoJO wrote:
I used the loaner from Sony on my A7r II once or twice and I didn't notice any. I am sure that it is there when measured but, let's call it minimal and not readily visible. I haven't used my own copy on the A7r II since it is basically glued on the A9 now. By extending the FL using the 1.4X TC the vignetting issues should be even less than without the TC, at least in theory. I use lens hood all the time but I do not use any filter on all my lenses, including this one.

Thanks - I think I was underexposing which made vignetting on the corners noticeable. Could be something wrong with the TC I have but I think it might've been exposure. I've seen some reports of the same issue on DPreview but minor issue overall.

Overall, very impressed with this combo although the Sony 100-400mm without the TC is much crisper.

Sep 15, 2017 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password