Do you shoot without a hood?
No
Yes
Hood only when needed for possible flare, otherwise No

Do you shoot without a hood?

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Some Pro's rather ditch there lens hoods because of there cumbersome shape and the situation and time of day would not make any difference anyway and saves space in there camera bags too.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:26 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you shoot without a hood?

If I'm on a Foba Camera Stand in a studio, tethered to Capture One, the answer is No. If there is a light pointed towards the lens, I use a flag and C-stand.

When shooting an indoor location, like a factory, Yes I use a lens hood. I can't interfere with work by shutting off any lights or using flags/C-stands.

Outdoors, Yes I use a hood—and supplement it with using my hand, or a hat to serve as a flag.

BTW I use a lot of back or back-cross lighting.

BTW2 What camera bag

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Kent_Photo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you shoot without a hood?

I feel that indoors the hood helps get the best contrast in my images, especially when reflections or stage lighting may strike the front element without warning. I also like to use one outdoors for better contrast, especially when I go from shade to full sun often. In either situation I like it for protection from branches and people at events.

I think using a lens shade helps replace using a clear or UV filter for protection. I have never noticed a scratch on a front lens element in 20 years of shooting. I always use a lens cap in the bag or when storing.

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:13 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Hood all the time unless I am using a polarizer filter. Great for glass protection and flare reduction.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:38 PM
story_teller
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Many of the Nikon lens hoods reverse back on the lens and lock in place so they don't take up much room. I always use a hood unless I feel there is minimal light to the side of the lens. Just a habit.

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:38 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Depends on the lens and what use it's getting.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:12 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Hood all the time unless i have a cpl on the lens. It's there more to protect the front element than to reduce optical artifacts. For what I do, the hood afffords some optical benefit only occasionally.

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:21 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Hood all the time even in the studio as it affords the best contrast and minimizes the gobo between me and the subject to flag a strobe.

Nikon made a special hood for their 52mm polarizer that threaded in to the front and was two rings depending on which focal length was being used, an HN-12 if I recall. Anytime the polarizer was threaded on, that hood was used, sadly all my 52 mm thread lenses have moved on to new owners.

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:00 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you shoot without a hood?

When I was shooting 4x5 and 617, I never used a hood - too much nuisance to carry and install the cumbersome folding hoods for them, which are similar to a small view camera bellows.

Now that I'm doing digital, I almost always use one unless I'm using a CPL.

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:58 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you shoot without a hood?

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
When I was shooting 4x5 and 617, I never used a hood - too much nuisance to carry and install the cumbersome folding hoods for them, which are similar to a small view camera bellows.

Now that I'm doing digital, I almost always use one unless I'm using a CPL.

Interesting. I used a standard bellows, a Sinar jointed rod and two bellows clips on my Sinar F and Sinar P all the time. Pretty easy to set up and a thumb screw to install or take off if required. This shows one how complete some systems are over others.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Ah. I used an Ebony field camera - not so easy to add attachments

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you shoot without a hood?

I use a hood most of the time, but not when I want to keep a low profile, especially when using the 70-200/2.8 L IS II or 300/2.8L IS in close quarters.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:52 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Paul Mo wrote:
Depends on the lens and what use it's getting.

This. My main prime lenses won't flare/ghost unless the sun or a bright light source is in the frame (one not even then), so I leave the hoods off of those. My 2.8 zooms, however, need the hoods, or they lose contrast if too much light hits from above or the sides.

Sep 26, 2017 at 05:05 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Hood all the time.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:45 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you shoot without a hood?

I always use a hood, even when using a polarizer. Not only does it help reduce veiling flare, but it's also great protection for the front element. I even use lens hood shooting at night.

Kent in SD

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:59 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you shoot without a hood?

My lenses are too expensive to risk damage to the front element. If a hood is damaged it is not nearly as expensive to replace as the front element of a pro level lens. I can also tape the hood and keep on shooting which is not true if I crack the front lens element and all pro's should carry a roll of gaffers tape.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Depends on the lens I guess. For the lenses with built-in hoods, all the time. For the lenses that don't, I use hoods some of the time (they make great lens protection), but only if they don't add enormously to the profile of the lens.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:44 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you shoot without a hood?

Two23 wrote:
I always use a hood, even when using a polarizer. Not only does it help reduce veiling flare, but it's also great protection for the front element. I even use lens hood shooting at night.

Kent in SD

Exactly.

A hood increases image contrast even when the sun is nowhere near the field of view. The more daytime sky, bright sand or rocks, or anything else reflecting a lot of light that is shielded from the lens increases contrast due to eliminating the "veiling flare" you mention. The front element protection helps maintain IQ as the lens ages too.

Oct 17, 2017 at 05:17 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you shoot without a hood?

I use the collapsible rubber lens hoods instead of the typical petal style. They work great with CPLs as I can turn the hood itself rather than reaching in and potentially touching the CPL face.

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:57 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you shoot without a hood?

6D and 70-200 f2.8L - the other day school had monks in, again, and I wanted to be as discreet as possible so I left the hood at home. I've also removed the never-used tripod foot.

Surprising how small the 6D and f2.8 70-200 seem when naked. A lot of photographic power in a reasonably sized package.

I have, in the past, bought eBay hoods and cut them down for some lenses - providing impact protection in crowds while being compact.

Oct 21, 2017 at 01:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password