bladesofgrass
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

Ants farming cicadellid nymphs:

Jumping spider with grasshopper prey:

Arum lily:
🎼"It's getting hot in here, so hot, so take off all your clothes -
Theme song of the aroid. Arum lilies are able to raise the temperature inside their inflorescence (in the eastern skunk cabbage this can be by up to 35 degrees C above ambient temps) in a process called thermogenesis. Each species of aroid has a different optimum temperature specific to its natural environment and its pollinators. This energetic process uses a mitochondrial respiration pathway and has been demonstrated to have the same energetic requirements as a hummingbird in flight. The higher temperatures are thought to increase the volatility of aromatic, malodorous compounds to attract pollinators. So the next time your romantic skeptic friends tell you that "love stinks", you can tell them to put in their request as an arum lily for their next reincarnation, so that that "stink of love" can be music to their ears.

Lichen-masquerading katydid (Lichenomorphus sp.):

Woody mushroom (Amauroderma sp.):

Two-tailed spider (Hersiliidae) at sunset:

Wandering spider (Ctenidae) guarding egg sac:

Camouflaged caterpillar:

Camouflaged moth in the leaf litter:

The Brazilian crab spider (Epicadus heterogaster) has several different polymorphs. From white with pink/yellow booties, to yellow and black to flame pink:

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

-----------------
EE Legend
-Health injury/stress levels (scale 1-10-->☠️ )
👣-Translocation
⏳-time in captivity
📷 - 'in situ'
- in studio
🎨 - Use of cloning or extensive post processing

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:20 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

Another very enjoyable set Paul ~ Ron

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:45 AM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

You have posted a very interesting series of images. I have to admit that I don't get the ethical exif notations.

Dave

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:48 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

Wonderful stuff Paul - Still not found the moth
Brian V.

Sep 10, 2017 at 06:05 AM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

Thanks Ron, Brian and Dave.

Brian - The moth is indeed a tough one, it's in the bottom right hand corner with a diagonally running 'leaf vein' and where it looks bent in half is the division for the wings.

Dave - Ethical Exif refers to any manipulations of the subject, and the use of studio vs. 'in situ' field photos. Macro is rife with abuse on account of the scale of the subjects, one is often able to simply pluck them out of their environment and arrange them however one chooses. Sometimes this may be necessary for some subjects, or where professional study intersects with photography, however, I am choosing to disclose any such manipulations because I feel like when people know the impacts (eg. an animal or insect found at night kept overnight in order to photograph during the day for aesthetics, whose captivity may or may not impact their biological fitness) then they can decide for themselves whether that is acceptable behaviour. I am trying not to put a judgment on it, since I recognize the value of it, and indeed do it myself from time to time, but we should arrive at a consensus of acceptable behaviours within nature photography and honesty with oneself and with those view the pictures is a first step.

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

Wow, an excellent set of enjoyable images, Paul! The spiders, especially the Brazilian crab spiders are amazing creatures and the symmetry of the pink in that image is wonderful.

Joshua

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:52 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

A most interesting and visually stimulating set Paul!
Douglas

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:57 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

Nice shots.

Sep 10, 2017 at 06:42 PM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Peru: Tambopata Reserve part III

Thanks Douglas, Ted and Joshua, always appreciated!

Sep 10, 2017 at 09:17 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password