FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon
FM member @DavidBM just posted his review on the Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon.

Here is an excerpt from David’s conclusion:

“I recommend this lens. If you want a fast 24mm class lens, there is no alternative in native mount, and this is better than any I know of in any mount. I own the lens, have had it since fairly soon after it was released, and find it a very useful optic. If you like zooms, though, as I discussed above, you will get good performance from most of the Sony zooms at 25 mm. So you need to know that you need the bokeh possibilities, slight resolution and contrast advantages, handling advantages or perhaps flare advantages of the Batis prime.” - Read the entire review at phillipreeve.net.

Purchase the Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon lens

Help support FM by using our links for your purchase! - Thank you!

B&H Photo | Adorama

Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:58 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

It's been around for a while, but it's still the only 24 mm class prime available in E mount, so many might be interested.

I like this lens a lot. The review pushes it to the limit in certain ways, so don't think that because of a few nasties that most wides have, I don't like it!

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:30 AM
johnmatrix84
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Nice review. It was through and I enjoyed reading it. I rented a 25/2 and I am deciding between it and the 16-35/4 ZA. It is always nice to get some good opinions on a lens before buying.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:13 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

An excellent review, David! Here is then to the Batis 25 that doesn't get enough love.... lately.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:25 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

A very good review that addresses the questions we seek when considering a lens purchase.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:42 AM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Great review! Definitely covers the lens thoroughly. I have always been curious, does anyone know how it fares against the A mount zeiss 24 f2? The A mount is weak at midfield and likely less sharp, but I wonder what the rendering is like for environmental portraits between the two

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:52 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Another balanced review. You know your stuff David!

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:22 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

The Batis 25/2 is one of my favorite lenses.
I should read the review now to see what I missed.

K-H.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:09 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Nice work David

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:11 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Good review David--thank you! Just curious, have you tested the coma on the Batis 25? As someone getting into astro and an urban night shooter, with this FL and aperture that would be very useful info.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:29 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Great review. Consistent with my own observations after owning the lens for the last 18 months. However, the CA was never really a problem for me as I rarely shoot this lens wide open.

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Kohala
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

My 25mm has gone all over the world--it's my "go to" lens and stays on my camera 95% of the time. It's great for street scenes as well as landscapes. Images are crisp with great colors and tones. I simply don't understand why so many on this forum criticize this lens.

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:29 PM
umsl12
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

I sold my B25 after I got 24-70 GM and then I miss it now.

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:51 PM
umsl12
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

I'm waiting Batis 35mm 1.4, please!!!!!

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:52 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Good review David--thank you! Just curious, have you tested the coma on the Batis 25? As someone getting into astro and an urban night shooter, with this FL and aperture that would be very useful info.

No: not yet. I plan to add it. I've never used it for Astro (I Prefer wider for that) but it's worth testing as if it was ok at f2.....

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:29 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

I agree with most of what's said in the review, but the LoCA can actually ruin shots with short DOF at a bit of distance. It's worse than any other modern lens I've own, except for the FE 55 which is very similar. The FE 55 and Batis 25 go very well together since they have a similar overall rendering style.

Both these lenses lack the bitingly per-pixel sharpness of non-aspherical lenses though. On the a7II I can clearly see that the Loxia 35 and the classic Zeiss (ZF) lenses are sharper per pixel, which I believe is because aspherical lenses just can't give the same resolution. Not that it matters to me, but for someone printing large landscapes it could.

Also, my copy of the Batis seems sharper wide open than the reviewed one. It's almost as good in the very corners as in the middle. You really don't have to stop this lens down.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:29 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Makten wrote:
I agree with most of what's said in the review, but the LoCA can actually ruin shots with short DOF at a bit of distance. It's worse than any other modern lens I've own, except for the FE 55 which is very similar. The FE 55 and Batis 25 go very well together since they have a similar overall rendering style.

Both these lenses lack the bitingly per-pixel sharpness of non-aspherical lenses though. On the a7II I can clearly see that the Loxia 35 and the classic Zeiss (ZF) lenses are sharper per pixel, which I believe is because aspherical
...Show more

Can you expand or link to something exploring the per pixel sharpness aspherical thought further? I am very interested.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:42 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

DavidBM wrote:
No: not yet. I plan to add it. I've never used it for Astro (I Prefer wider for that) but it's worth testing as if it was ok at f2.....

Awesome. Looking forward to it. I have been using the 28 FE in verticals stiches (like bastian) so 25mm is plenty wide.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:43 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Can you expand or link to something exploring the per pixel sharpness aspherical thought further? I am very interested.

No, sorry. It's only my own experience. Having only owned a few modern aspherics though, all of them have had this "property" or what to call it. Maybe the Leica 28/2 ASPH was an exception, but that lens is extremely expensive.
My guess is that aspherical glass cannot be ground or molded to the same surface smoothness tolerances as a spherical lens, and if that's true, it's not too strange that they can't give the same resolution or sharpness.

I think I've seen this in direct comparisons between the Batis 25 and the Loxia 21 (which I don't own), but I'm not gonna search it out.

Anyway! The Batis is a fantastic lens with very few flaws. Lower "crispness" is not one of them, since it will probably almost never make a real difference. But you can see it, as well as in some other aspherical lenses.

Edit: And to answer your previous question: The Batis 25 is perfect for urban landscapes in low light! The performance at f/2 is stunning. Haven't tried it for astro though, so I don't really know about coma.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:24 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · David at phillipreeve.net reviews Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

Makten wrote:
No, sorry. It's only my own experience. Having only owned a few modern aspherics though, all of them have had this "property" or what to call it. Maybe the Leica 28/2 ASPH was an exception, but that lens is extremely expensive.
My guess is that aspherical glass cannot be ground or molded to the same surface smoothness tolerances as a spherical lens, and if that's true, it's not too strange that they can't give the same resolution or sharpness.

I think I've seen this in direct comparisons between the Batis 25 and the Loxia 21 (which I don't own), but I'm
...Show more

Both the Loxia 21 and a Batis 25 have aspherical elements. And the crispest normal lens I know personally (the cv APO-Lanthar 2/65) does too. As does the Otus, likely the overall crispest. As do the runners up. Longer lenses have less need of aspherics, though more need of APD or LD type glass. That's why the b135 and Classic APO Sonnar don't have aspherics. It seems like 85mm is where the cutoff is for how useful aspherics are. Otus 85 has them, Milvus not. Otus 85 is a touch crisper at wider apertures (it's also a bit more APO but that's nothing to do with aspheres, I think). But Milvus has no onionskin bokeh, which is the only slight downside of aspherics I know (except perhaps that they require more precision in installation).

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:42 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.