Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first coupl...

wonderer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

In Part 1 I showed the construction of the Eastern kingbird nest. In Part 2 I showed the reuild of it. Part 3 were some bonus cameo appearances while I was waiting.

Once it became clear the female was sitting on eggs, I avoided being in her direct sight for about 10 days. By this time, I convinced myself the pair had become somewhat acclimated to me since I read that they will be aggressive toward humans if threatened (and that didn't happen). These images were taken over the first couple days of me noticing them.

1. 7/12 - You have to look really hard, but there's a little white fuzz on the far left side of the nest.

2. 7/12 - The fuzz awakens--and is hungry!

3. 7/14 - All hands on-deck.

4. 7/14 - I think this was a wasp being served.

5. 7/14 - The most common food I saw them feeding.

6. 7/14 - I think the adults (both feed) mash it up a little before feeding but basically the chicks eat the whole thing!

7. 7/14 - A few portraits of the chicks...

8. 7/14

9. 7/14

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:51 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

Outstanding again Kim.

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:09 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

These are great Kim!

Morris

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:23 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

I am thoroughly enjoying this series Kim ~ Ron

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:25 PM
wonderer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

Ted ellis wrote:
Outstanding again Kim.

---------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
These are great Kim!

Morris

surfnron wrote:
I am thoroughly enjoying this series Kim ~ Ron

Thanks guys. I kept my mouth shut for weeks for fear of someone spooking / disrupting this amazing process!

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:46 AM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

Very nice series! It seems the nest built in a precarious position is working.

Dave

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:45 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

another excellent set Kim

Sep 10, 2017 at 07:30 AM
wonderer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

dclark wrote:
Very nice series! It seems the nest built in a precarious position is working.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I certainly had my doubts about that nest location too. As I watched her 'pack it in' every few trips, I wonder if maybe it interlocked to some extent with the broken branches around the whorl.

kmunroe wrote:
another excellent set Kim

Thanks again, Kenny. This project really did salvage an otherwise very unphotographic (?) season for me. As a consolation prize, it was a doozy!

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:46 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

Good morning Kim,
Such a wonderful set.
Bravo to a fantastic series of threads of the nest.
BB

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:36 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

Lovely set ... the chicks are real cute!

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

Wow, the chick's spiky hair do is just too cute. Well captured, Kim and I do enjoy the series.

Joshua

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:53 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

What a marvelous series this has been. I think each set is my favorite, then you post a new one

Such a wonderful set, and those babies are just too cute. I think that is a Dragonfly they are eating.

Birdie

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:58 PM
lysti26

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

amazing series!

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:26 AM
wonderer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

BeeBalm wrote:
Good morning Kim,
Such a wonderful set.
Bravo to a fantastic series of threads of the nest.
BB

Thank you BB! I was so lucky to be able to observe / document the process from start to finish. I'm glad you're enjoying the series...there's another set or two to come. Enjoy the weekend!

bobbytan wrote:
Lovely set ... the chicks are real cute!

Thank you bobbytan. They really are, aren't they?? It is absolutely amazing how quickly they transform to juveniles!

AGeoJO wrote:
Wow, the chick's spiky hair do is just too cute. Well captured, Kim and I do enjoy the series.

Joshua

You've got that right, Joshua!--those doos are really something else! But they're short-lived. In a matter of just a couple / few days they're replaced by real feathers and look almost adult-like!

birdied wrote:
What a marvelous series this has been. I think each set is my favorite, then you post a new one

Such a wonderful set, and those babies are just too cute. I think that is a Dragonfly they are eating.

Birdie

Thank you Birdie! Once I saw the nest being built, I tried to clear my schedule to give as much optimal shooting time as possible. This process goes pretty quickly and the changing position of the sun (and grey / stormy days)reduced optimal light. All in all though, it was a really fun "assignment"! Oh, right on the dragonflies; they were certainly the staple meal for the chicks.

lysti26 wrote:
amazing series!

Thanks lysti26; glad you're enjoying it!

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM
amandatp

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

very interesting set

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM
davidgold
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

So lovely shots - TFS

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:34 PM
wonderer
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

amandatp wrote:
very interesting set

Thank you amandatp. It was absolutely fascinating to watch!

davidgold wrote:
So lovely shots - TFS

Thanks David. I feel lucky to have seen this whole process and gotten some of these pictures.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:52 AM
kdacharya
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

wonderfully depicted, Kim. I really liked 2 and 4. thanks for sharing. Hope all is well with you

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:14 AM
wonderer
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

kdacharya wrote:
wonderfully depicted, Kim. I really liked 2 and 4. thanks for sharing. Hope all is well with you

Thank you KD! With the exception of this opportunity, both Spring and Summer have been very slow here unfortunately. This was a real treat for me!

I hope you're doing well too; I look forward to seeing images from your next adventure!

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:07 AM
Pixphatic
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Summer salvage - Part 4: E. kingbird chicks - first couple days

Wonderful set...your giving the time, did pay off.

Anindya.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:59 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password