New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

b1lf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Have you tried lens profile correction in Lightroom?

Paul Mo wrote:
I've been debating getting a 15-30 VC. In reality I think I will go back to a 16-35 f2.8L II for weather sealing and savings in both weight and size. While the corners bother me on the 16-35 f2.8L II, the centre is nicely sharp even wide open.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

b1lf wrote:
Have you tried lens profile correction in Lightroom?

For the 16-35 f2.8L II's corners? Yes, I have.

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:40 AM
b1lf

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Any success there?

Paul Mo wrote:
For the 16-35 f2.8L II's corners? Yes, I have.

Sep 22, 2017 at 04:18 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

b1lf wrote:
Any success there?

Oh, no. It does nothing to tidy up the smeared corners - the profile corrects for vignetting and distortion.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:09 AM
b1lf

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Ah ok, I missed that you noticed a lack of sharpness in the corners... I assumed dark and/or distorted.

Paul Mo wrote:
Oh, no. It does nothing to tidy up the smeared corners - the profile corrects for vignetting and distortion.

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:12 PM
John_T
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Now look at whatchew went and made me do. Fish out some random ten year old shot made with a 5D + 16-35L f/2.8 II so I can look at it and say "dayamn, not half bad" and start using it again.

Canon EOS 5D    16.0-35.0 mm lens    16mm    f/8.0    1/250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens    25mm    f/6.3    1/160s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Sep 22, 2017 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

b1lf

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Honestly, that looks horrible John. Might as well just ship me that lens for scrapping.

John_T wrote:
Now look at whatchew went and made me do. Fish out some random ten year old shot made with a 5D + 16-35L f/2.8 II so I can look at it and say "dayamn, not half bad" and start using it again.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:16 AM
b1lf

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Woooooow, didnít see your edit with the second picture - incredible!

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:17 AM
John_T
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

With modern gear and a little care, I'm finding it is getting harder and harder to make a bad shot. I am also finding I take less shots and feel kinda stupid when I make 3-4 almost identical shots and can't quite decide which one to keep. Then comes Light Room, where I can make a keeper out of almost any shot that a few years ago I would have dumped straight in the bin. It's not that now the gear will do it for you, no, you still gotta do your part, but now your have got so much more to work with.

As for the corners, not so long ago you had to pay through the nose for clean corners. But are they so important? I don't think so. Rule of thirds, for example, say to the corners is not where the eyes go, so unless there is something glaringly awful there that you had to inspect at 100%, the corners aren't really relevant. Corners are usually sky or shadows anyway. With enough megapixels, if you are worried about corners, you just frame a bit generously and crop off the corners. Add to that LR Lens Correction and Transform and you can get more or less whatever you want. A lot of older L lenses are still valid, but where they might meaningfully fall down is AF, flare, CA, lack of IS, etc.

What I do when I'm trying to figure out what lens I might want to buy next is to spend some time in the LR Library module using the metadata statistics feature looking at what I have done with what, both statistically and in images. Surprised me to discover that, even if I didn't want it to be, my most used lens was the 24-105 and most used focal length was 400mm then 100mm. Knowing what I have done over the past 10-15 years is a pretty good indicator of what I am going to do and how I could make that better. Conversely, I might figure out what I would like to have done, but didn't have the gear. Both sobering and exciting.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens    22mm    f/10.0    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sep 24, 2017 at 08:45 AM
woos
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Refurb 6d (original) and a refurb (if you can find one) 16-35mm f4l IS for landscapes. Keep the 40d and such and your 55-250 for longer range shots. Or alternatively, an 80d (good DR , better than 6d) and a wide angle lens to go with it!

Despite limitations the 40d is still a great camera.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:43 AM
FrancisAlberto

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Well ended up picking up a used K1 on the sale thread, aiming at the 28-105 D FA lens.
I almost stayed with Canon just to get the 70-200 F4 L IS. The school let me take it out and it is one nice lens. I don't think other manufacturers have such a nice lens fitting that range.
I went for the K1 because most of my subjects are on the slower side, and I enjoy landscapes, nature shots, and walk around.
If Canon would have made the sensor nice on the 6D II I might have stayed.

Some people get upset when other's move around. It comes down to the needs of the user. I don't upgrade too often so I try to get the most camera for my needs based on my budget.
I wanted a flip screen for when I used tripods or things above/under me, I considered the D750, 6D II, D500, maybe even a used D810. The camera I found had the right price and right shutter count, so I went for it. My only concern is that there's less flash options for the system.

Now comes the question of whether to flip the 17-55 2.8 IS, 580 EX II flash and 30D or keep it as a backup/beater. the 17-55 2.8 IS is not the best optical lens, but it was sure convenient.

Like some of the posters mentioning above, it's hard to go wrong with a lot of the modern cameras. Even the simplest ones can easily outperform what we had. You also can't go wrong with the lens selection that you have right now.

In my limited time using the 6D I had a good time with it. The best way to describe it, is that it was inoffensive. It has what you need and nothing more. It might actually be appealing because it offers less distractions.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:28 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password