New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I have quite a collection of lenses for EF, including eight Zeisses, and I may just divest myself from most of them now that I've gotten an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. As time passes, if you might be interested in what I'd have available, feel free to PM me.

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:57 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

If you wanted to get the 6DII, you can get old alts for next to nothing, like an old 28-70, and then buy the more expensive glass as you can afford it. Or just keep using them

The 1Ds3 is in your price range, but probably pretty heavy.

I'd recommend an uwa for the canyons, etc. Old Nikkor 20mm and Tamron 18mm used to be fairly inexpensive, although I havenít checked lately. And you don't really need af at those fl, if you are at infinity shooting landscapes.

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:50 PM
b1lf

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

So I finally got my 40mm pancake in last night... WOW, this thing is awesome. The UPS guy dropped it off while it was pitch black out and I went around my apt and outside and am very impressed with the low light performance this 6D has.

I noticed a tiny spec in the viewfinder, that I didn't notice when purchasing the camera... it's really really tiny, and I'm pretty anal so somewhat annoying.

Took the camera to a local high end, reputable shop, and they took a look at my sensor which was clean, only one tiny spec on it - and I had them clean that. The tiny spec in the viewfinder they blew some air on the mirror and didn't do much more than that - they said, since it doesn't effect the image at all, that I shouldn't worry about it... but if I really wanted to, I could send it in to Canon. Again it's tiny.... anyone else this picky? Send their DSLR in for such a small issue?

I'm just going to get out there and shoot, overall extremely happy.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Ha... And I was about to add a vote for the 80D.
The 16-35/4, however, is a recommendation I have to agree with, most heartily.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:51 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

AmbientMike wrote:
Old Nikkor 20mm and Tamron 18mm used to be fairly inexpensive, although I havenít checked lately. And you don't really need af at those fl, if you are at infinity shooting landscapes.

Oh man, the Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 was one of my favorite lenses of all time, when I shot film and manual focus Nikon. I sold it to someone that was going to use it on a 5D, but I'm thinking of going full frame soon and I'm seriously thinking of getting another. That was a fantastic lens. Very pricey in its time, I think I spent $600 on a new one in 1988.

(Hmm, surprised that's the current price for a new 20mm AF Nikon. Looks like about $300 for a good used MF lens on eBay.)

Mark

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:16 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

With an 8x sensor or photo loupe and a bright LED light, you ought to be able to see if the speck is on the mirror. If it is not on the mirror it is probably on the focus screen above the mirror, something you don't want to physically touch for risk of damaging it. You could puff at it with a quality photographic bulb blower, but possibly make things worse. You could have the focusing screen replaced if you know for a fact the speck is on it. For now the speck is probably perceived as a flaw on your new almost virgin, but the more you get to know her, the less it will matter if she is putting out nicely.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:34 PM
b1lf

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Yeah it's really not even a big deal, being picky. I scrutinized* my old 40D today in the same manner and I have specs all over that one.

The sensor is now 100% clean so I'll be fine using this for awhile... I called Canon and it's only $49 for a sensor, mirror, and focusing screen cleaning. They are right by me in Costa Mesa, CA as well (30 miles away). I will do that if/once the sensor gets dirty again.

John_T wrote:
With an 8x sensor or photo loupe and a bright LED light, you ought to be able to see if the speck is on the mirror. If it is not on the mirror it is probably on the focus screen above the mirror, something you don't want to physically touch for risk of damaging it. You could puff at it with a quality photographic bulb blower, but possibly make things worse. You could have the focusing screen replaced if you know for a fact the speck is on it. For now the speck is probably perceived as a flaw on
...Show more

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:53 PM
b1lf

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Finished up with work for the day. Heading out soon on my bike for my first sunset shoot near the ocean.. can't wait.

40mm on FF is a very usable focal length, though maybe not for sunsets... it still makes a world of difference vs my nifty 50 on a crop (aka 80mm efffective).

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:34 AM
b1lf

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

biked on my trusty steed and some guy came up to me and talked my ear off about my bike while I was losing light - thankfully the sunset sucked

frankenstein by B1LF, on Flickr

flat top by B1LF, on Flickr

people by B1LF, on Flickr

at least I got a plane, a helicopter, a bird, and a lifeguard in one picture

sunset by B1LF, on Flickr

Very, very happy with the step up to FF & the incredible detail - the only AF issue I've had so far was shooting a plain white piece of paper to inspect for dust on the sensor so I don't really catch all of the fuss that I've seen other various places on the internet.......

Big thanks to all of those who offered suggestions and help.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:05 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Ignore the Intergnat, you are doinit rite. I like all those shots, particularly the first, but the Twilight of the Zombies is genius..

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

b1lf

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Hah thanks John, I love the name, I'm stealing that. I could have boosted up the shadows more or used some of the other photos of the same shot that focused more on the people ---- but the soft glow of the sun on the people I loved.

John_T wrote:
Ignore the Intergnat, you are doinit rite. I like all those shots, particularly the first, but the Twilight of the Zombies is genius..

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:55 PM
b1lf

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

my god, the detail on this 6D....................... it was cloudy and the lighting wasn't great at all, look at the detail on this crazy succulent house (with just my pancake)

follow link for higher res

succulent hoarder by B1LF, on Flickr

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:53 AM
FrancisAlberto

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I'm in a similar boat. I got a 30D, I want to trade up, but it's not an immediate urgency. The University let me borrow a 6D for 2 days, and I had a little fun with it, they gave me the 50mm, and the 70-200 F4 IS to play with.
https://imgur.com/vWyTKwI
https://imgur.com/1yY3D2c
I liked it, it is one of those cameras that gives you what you need and nothing more. The day was getting dark due to rain, so my use on that day was a bit more limited.
Unfortunately I don't know if it's the camera for me. The used camera market is shaken up with the release of the D850, so the prices for the d800/e/810s are tanking right now, lots of good deals. I had someone share some D800 files in the past and I just loved how much data and flexibility they contain. So it's one of those things where you want to have your cake and eat it, but you can't. Sometimes when we look for thing we try to get the best within our budget.

I think that if Canon had made the sensor on the 6D II a bit better it would have been a champ, even the way it is right now it offers a lot of quality of life features, but with that sensor and pricing it does not feel like a good proposition.

D800s are a hell of a deal for the money, but the D810s are getting more aggressively priced and they might offer enough life comforts to make them worthwhile such as the better grip, faster frame rate, left focus works, better video, auto w/b, ect.
Pentax K1 is also around the price of a D810 open box or used, my only concern would be the auto focus. I do like the idea that any lens you strap to it would be stabilized, also has a tilt screen.
D750 looks like a compromise, tilt screen, good sensor, baby D810 with a 1/4000 shutter that's louder.
D500 would be the no compromise for a/f, but it's aps-c, and its overkill for my use.

Anyways, Enjoy the 6D. I might sign one out for another two days one of these days if it's back in the cage. Compared to our old cameras it's a nice setup. Brighter viewfinder, I managed to get decent results out of the a/f, would need to learn it since it's more advanced than what we had.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:13 AM
b1lf

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Yeah I had a similar train of thought while comparing the offerings from Nikon... on paper, their ďused market offeringsĒ like those that youíve pointed out are ďbetterĒ than the 6DMKI. A friend on another forum wonít shut up about it, actually, but I wanted to stick with Canon to eventually move to the 6DMKII or perhaps a 5DIII/IV.

That involves building a nice collection of glass for FF Canon, which is the path Iím taking. Honestly, the 6DMKI has been such a massive upgrade over my 40D that I donít see the urge to get that 6DMKII/5D3/4 anytime soon - Iím just enjoying getting out there and shooting! ... and rewarded with awesome picture quality. That is most important.

FrancisAlberto wrote:
I'm in a similar boat. I got a 30D, I want to trade up, but it's not an immediate urgency. The University let me borrow a 6D for 2 days, and I had a little fun with it, they gave me the 50mm, and the 70-200 F4 IS to play with.
https://imgur.com/vWyTKwI
https://imgur.com/1yY3D2c
I liked it, it is one of those cameras that gives you what you need and nothing more. The day was getting dark due to rain, so my use on that day was a bit more limited.
Unfortunately I don't know if it's the camera for me. The used
...Show more

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:23 PM
b1lf

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Not directly related to the above, but related to my upgrade path, I'm seeing really excellent things about the new Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC G2.

Someone else pointed this out in another thread, and the G2 (aka version 2) version of this lens seems to have little to no downsides. It has VC (aka IS), unlike the Canon 24-70 f2.8 II - and it's also nearly 1/2 the cost at $1,200.... with image quality that competes directly with the Canon, apparently. I like the idea of the fast (ish) f2.8 aperture as well.

Will need to figure out if the 16-35 or 24-70 is my ideal focal length for a walk around zoom....

Will keep my eyes peeled for more reviews as a bunch have been popping up in the last few weeks.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:57 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Canon has a $200 sale on refurbed 16-35 II... How does $1150 with a 1 year warranty sound? It won't last long.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-16-35mm-f-28l-ii-usm-refurbished

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:46 PM
b1lf

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Looks like $1079 not $1150. Even better!

Hmm thatís essentially the same price as the Canon 16-35 f4L IS thatís very highly recommended in this thread as well. Iím still not ready to pull the trigger - have to decide if 16-35 or 24-70 is the right focal length for me! (Still adjusting to my first FF camera)

Good lookiní out!

PS the Tamron has an insane 6 year warranty IIRC.

TeamSpeed wrote:
Canon has a $200 sale on refurbed 16-35 II... How does $1150 with a 1 year warranty sound? It won't last long.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-16-35mm-f-28l-ii-usm-refurbished

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:18 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

They charge sales tax...

And the 16-35 f4 is also on sale there for $791 not including tax

BTW, in the past 15 years of DSLR ownership, and countless bodies/lenses, I think I have used Canon warranties less times than I have fingers on one hand.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:50 PM
b1lf

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Right on, Iíd prefer to purchase Canon L glass as well, however if the Tamron is a clear home run - at a better value - Iíd probably have no issues pulling the trigger.

The Canon 16-35ís are the winners at that focal length; for me, at the current market. The Tamron 15-30 has a massive bulbous front element thatís a no-go for me. And limited range ending at just 30mm...

Iíll keep you guys posted!

TeamSpeed wrote:
They charge sales tax...

And the 16-35 f4 is also on sale there for $791 not including tax

BTW, in the past 15 years of DSLR ownership, and countless bodies/lenses, I think I have used Canon warranties less times than I have fingers on one hand.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I've been debating getting a 15-30 VC. In reality I think I will go back to a 16-35 f2.8L II for weather sealing and savings in both weight and size. While the corners bother me on the 16-35 f2.8L II, the centre is nicely sharp even wide open.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:29 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password