New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

b1lf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Hey guys,

I've been shooting a Canon 40D for ages now, and it's time for an upgrade. I had the following lenses, which I've recently (mostly) sold off at this point:

-50mm 1.8 II
-18-55mm IS II
-55-250 IS STM

I mostly shoot:

*landscapes; I live in Venice Beach, Los Angeles, CA - so frequently hikes in the canyons/mountains or shots at the beach (huge plus for lowlight performance needed during sunrise and sunset)

*automotive photography; I was constantly backpedaling with the 'nifty 50' & the image quality with the standard kit lens was poor, obviously

*street photography; bike around Venice, Santa Monica, etc - as well as downtown LA - shoot architecture, food, people - any time of day - so again, low light performance would be a plus

*the occasional portrait

I've come to a crossroads where I think I've found the perfect lens: the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 ART lens. I think it's downright incredible for the price; I've shot it at a local store........ however, I also think I might take the jump to full frame eventually. Within the next year or two, and this Sigma lens is crop sensor only.

So................ SHOULD I upgrade to full frame? I'm looking at 6D MKI (much prefer the MKII when I tested it, way better AF & I like the glass articulating screen vs fixed plastic on the MKI).

Perhaps the Canon 5D MKIII.

My budget isn't exactly fixed. The easy solution would be to get the Sigma 18-35 1.8, shoot that for awhile, then get a 70D/80D/7DI/7DII and call it a day. Or perhaps I should invest in a nice FF camera like the 6D/6DII/5DIII - I could hold myself over with a 40mm 2.8, which I don't own, but I hear had significantly better AF than the 50mm 1.8 which was poor.

A 40mm focal length on FF would be a decent walk around lens as well; then get the 16-35 f2.8L II? Get the 16-35mm f2.8II now? I would prefer the f2.8 as opposed to the cheaper, and apparently sharper, f4L IS for low light performance. The 16-35 f2.8 III I can't afford at current pricing, right now.

A buddy of mine suggested I.... *gasp* look at the Nikon D800 or the D750 or D610 ?

I'd throw theses numbers out there:

$600-950 for a lens (or lenses, total)
$600-1,300 for a body (mayyyybe stretch it if I know I'd be keeping it for years and years)

I'm fine buying refurbished and used; and with the above numbers, I'm obviously going that route.

Thoughts?

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:37 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I had a 40D (which served me very well) and upgraded to a 6D.

The low light sensitivity and the FF files blew me away.

It doesn't sound like you need the enhanced AF features of a 5D3 or 80D, so I think you should consider a 6D.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:15 AM
b1lf

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Spikey131 wrote:
I had a 40D (which served me very well) and upgraded to a 6D.

The low light sensitivity and the FF files blew me away.

It doesn't sound like you need the enhanced AF features of a 5D3 or 80D, so I think you should consider a 6D.

Oh, cool! How are you enjoying the AF with the 6D MKI? It's biggest 'complaint' that I've seen online.

What len(es) are you shooting with it?

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:43 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Sounds like you need a 6D MKII. With that said, the now obsolete 6D should do fine for your style of photography. I mainly shoot landscapes, travel and concerts and 6D AF has never let me down. In fact, the center point is shockingly good in low light of typical classical stage performances (as well las high ISO). But, yeah, don't buy a 6D if you shoot sports, BIF or primarily use the off-center AF points in low light.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:48 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

What you shoot can be shot with either format, there isn't anything that either format will be better at these days. The better thing would be to list the features most important and then choose by budget. This gives you the most money for glass which will be more important. There are many lenses, EF and Efs, that would better the lenses you have now and do more for the result you want. 35mm format isn't some magic bullet these days, the gap has shrunken considerably from the days of the 40d/5d.

If you push shadows up quite a bit, then the 80d or SL2 would be your best bet, coupled with a 10-22, the 50 STM, and 18-135 perhaps or some other walk around zoom.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:40 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I had a 40D....I thought it was a great camera, however the newer gear just knocks that 40D out of the ring. Save your money and get a 5DIV or 1Dx...I know its more money, but, you will thank me in the end. These are cameras that you can grow really old with and just marvel at the photos you can take.

I had the 5DIII & II and was never really impressed with it...but the IV is special. I have had the 1Dx and now the 1DxII...what a camera!

I look at it this way, if I am going to take a photo and spend my time doing so, is my time not worth the best photo I can take. Now there would be those that would say my photos arent very good or imaginative and I am ok with that....but the clarity that can be achieved by them is something else...but then, with those great photos comes the need to want to buy better glass.....

So yes, it is an endless circle in the pursuit of perfection....but isnt my time worth it?

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:15 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

That would put him about $2000 over budget. With proper glass and good artistic ability and post processing, there is little difference between the different bodies these days. I love the 5D4, but if I had to shoot with my 7D2 or 200D all the time, I wouldn't mind. They all produce outstanding results with great glass. We are blessed to be in a time where there are so many great choices, and the only differentiators any more are really just various features and ergonomics.

A baby rebel for $550 can produce these results to the point they can be printed on a 20x30 poster.

Same camera with great shadow management, 3 stops or more with this example.

Or this from a 7D2 even, also great as a large metal print

A 5D4 is one of my favorites though, and if budget allows for that and some new glass, then that would also be my suggestion.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:51 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Ah.... the never ending WCSIB post. Ok, still with a 40D says you stick with something for quite some time. The 18-55 f3.5-5.6 appears to be the go to, so f/2.8 maybe not that essential and the 16-34 f/4 IS will out perform it without question. Suggest you consider renting one an see before buying. APS-c vs FF, tougher question but if you're going to make an upgrade, FF would be a good move. The ff body resolution vs the 40D is significantly better and more than makes up for the FOV difference. Even a cropped shot from a FF will provide a better result. Downside: with FF you are going to need a new lens lineup. Alternate, consider the latest APS-c 80D. BTW: the comment above regarding the use of a Rebel is also valid. The latest version specs are very good!

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:59 PM
PicGuy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I am going to suggest the SL2 for a few reasons. First, it is loaded with much of the features of the T7i, 77D and even the 80D. That is it has the same sensor, flip screen, Digic 7 processor and mostly the same video quality. Second, it is small, light weight and easy to carry on hikes. Third, the SL2 can be bought for $550 which is below your budget range. Fourth, with the money you save, you could buy the Sigma art lens and the EF-S 10-18mm ultra wide zoom. These two lenses would compliment each other very well and the 10-18mm is small, light weight and easy to carry on hikes.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Sy Sez
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Of your choices, I'd go with a 5D-3, while you can still get one with "full" Warranty.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RexGig0
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

My local police/forensic photography instructor, Christopher Duncan, who has been published, upgraded from 40D to 6D, for his personal shooting. Landscapes/cityscapes, especially at night, seem to be his passion.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:47 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

...hmm, still think you should make a new technology and ergonomics start with the 6DII and the 40mm f/2.8 STM, then carefully add lenses, new or used, appropriately. For starters with 26MP you will have double the resolution to play with while developing a long term shooting strategy.

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens    40mm    f/2.8    1/100s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:32 PM
b1lf

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

John_T wrote:
...hmm, still think you should make a new technology and ergonomics start with the 6DII and the 40mm f/2.8 STM, then carefully add lenses, new or used, appropriately. For starters with 26MP you will have double the resolution to play with while developing a long term shooting strategy.

Hah, hey John :wave:
(sundevil)

I'm on board with the 40mm pancake to get me by for awhile if I invest in a nice FF body.... the lofty price tag of a 6DMKII new, since it just came out, is my only reservation. Perhaps I'll take the plunge: like others have pointed out here, I keep my gear for a long time.

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:37 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

The bind is that if you were to upgrade your glass with an older body, the older body wouldn't give you the full performance of the newer glass, and were you to upgrade the body, older glass would drag down the new body. Rather than to chase your tail in a vicious circle with a mixed bag, better to make a new start and build on that.

Of course your skinflintedness will take some scrapes, but your photography will bloom in compensation.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:15 PM
b1lf

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

John_T wrote:
The bind is that if you were to upgrade your glass with an older body, the older body wouldn't give you the full performance of the newer glass, and were you to upgrade the body, older glass would drag down the new body. Rather than to chase your tail in a vicious circle with a mixed bag, better to make a new start and build on that.

Of course your skinflintedness will take some scrapes, but your photography will bloom in compensation.

Well.... is the 6D MKII worth double the price of the 6D MKI, as someone who's upgrading from the 40D? The street price on a 6D MKI is a mere $700-900, in great condition. Since the 6DII was just released in July, it's $2,000.

I've already ditched all of my glass and I'll snag a 40mm 2.8... so I'm on board with 'resetting and rebuilding' around a new body.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:18 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I had a 40D. I've never used either 6D, but I'll suggest that if you're intending to keep whatever you get for the long haul, the articulating screen may well prove to be a huge deciding factor.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:58 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

I'll let someone who has made a progression to the 6DII say what it's worth, however the 6D is five years old and much has happened since 2012.

Sep 09, 2017 at 08:12 PM
edean
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Another vote for the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS here. Good quality reasonably priced which covers wide end and has options to go full frame in the future without taking a hit on selling EFS lenses.

I think this and the 6D2 would be a great modern combo to last years!

Sep 09, 2017 at 08:30 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

Other than the sensor on the 6d2, all other aspects are upgrades over the 6d, however of the 2, the 6d would get my nod, and the 1300 you save can get some killer glass which will make a bigger difference in your final results.

Edited on Sep 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:49 PM
b1lf

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ancient Canon 40D shooter - next move?

edean wrote:
Another vote for the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS here. Good quality reasonably priced which covers wide end and has options to go full frame in the future without taking a hit on selling EFS lenses.

I think this and the 6D2 would be a great modern combo to last years!

How does this lens perform in low light? (indoors & street photography, sunsets, etc)

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password