New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Candid Engagement

LinuxHack3r
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Candid Engagement

So, as discussed heavily in the other thread I created about a week ago, I shot a buddy's engagement. Good news! I didn't die, neither did they. Also, she never saw me at all, ever, until after I walked to them and revealed my location. So that's great! I took some different posed pictures for them afterwards, but here is what I worked for.

Personally, I'm not sure how much I like it. It's pretty, but it is more of a landscape photo than a people photo, in my opinion. However, he wanted a photo showing the landscape and I didn't have a higher powered zoom so this is about what they got (along with 199 actual photos of the actual engagement, which I'll sort through tomorrow).

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:19 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Candid Engagement

For the purpose, some cropping-in for the subject might be helpful.
Douglas

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:49 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Candid Engagement

This isn't a normal proposal where the location doesn't really matter that much. If you had shot tight to get her emotional reaction, the proposal could have been anywhere. It just would have been him, her and that rock as a background and that rock could have been anywhere. So I like this shot exactly as it is. You get the emotion by the way her hands are up to her face. It works great for me.

By the way, this has to be a composite. The shutter speed on those falls has to be around a 1-sec exposure, but your exif data claims it to be 1/160. That was probably a really good call because she probably didn't just stand still for a full second with her hands up.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:47 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Candid Engagement

Excellent work, the soft lighting from the overcast worked very well.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:44 PM
FunkyPDB
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Candid Engagement

I think if this photo was blown up really large it could be very cool and would be easy to see the couple in the setting. As it stands on a small screen, it's just ok for me.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:00 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Candid Engagement

friscoron wrote:
This isn't a normal proposal where the location doesn't really matter that much. If you had shot tight to get her emotional reaction, the proposal could have been anywhere. It just would have been him, her and that rock as a background and that rock could have been anywhere. So I like this shot exactly as it is. You get the emotion by the way her hands are up to her face. It works great for me.

By the way, this has to be a composite. The shutter speed on those falls has to be around a 1-sec exposure, but your
...Show more

Exactly! I really wanted to shoot at 200mm or greater, my friend requested multiple times that he wanted the falls in the shots, it was special to him. He loves the image. And yes, EXIF cannot fool you. It truly was candid, as in afterwards he tried twice to point me out to her but she never not once saw me from my location. I guess I did that right! I combined the images with Photoshop, I suppose when it pushed back to Lightroom it kept the 1/160 data. Honestly, it's only .4 seconds. I figured I'd need much longer for the effect but it turned out great. I shot multiple "landscapes" before they ever showed up on scene. This took a lot of planning and exact timing. It worked perfectly, so I consider it a success.
---------------------------------------------

jecottrell wrote:
Excellent work, the soft lighting from the overcast worked very well.

It was raining on and off that day. I was extremely worried that it was going to be pouring at the exact time we had worked out. Thankfully it stopped raining for about an hour beforehand and then the rest of the evening. It was perfect! I probably would have chosen a nice pretty evening but honestly I agree with you that the overcast likely worked better. Thanks!

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:01 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Candid Engagement

For anyone interested, here are the photos from "post proposal".

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508004/0#lastmessage

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:20 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Candid Engagement

FunkyPDB wrote:
I think if this photo was blown up really large it could be very cool and would be easy to see the couple in the setting. As it stands on a small screen, it's just ok for me.

I agree. That was the purpose from creating the image as shown. I created it exactly 16:9, and provide him a .tiff image for printing. I'd really, really like to see this image printed on either canvas or metal. I think ti would be great.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Candid Engagement

This is going to look awesome printed large.

Sep 10, 2017 at 06:31 AM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Candid Engagement

Congrats on achieving what you wanted! Since the subject is them, I would probably darken other areas and lighten the subject to get more focus. It is hard to keep the eye on them since the water fall takes away the focus.

Sep 10, 2017 at 08:15 AM
JagmeetSingh

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Candid Engagement

Nice work really, As you actually got that what you wanted according to your client.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:56 AM
SharonCat...
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Candid Engagement

shekarn64 wrote:
Congrats on achieving what you wanted! Since the subject is them, I would probably darken other areas and lighten the subject to get more focus. It is hard to keep the eye on them since the water fall takes away the focus.

Agree! Maybe some careful selective sharpening on the couple and a very slight vignette would make this less about the falls. The customer got what they wanted so they're happy but they won't see the possibilities to improve on their original idea the way a photographer will.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.