New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Lens choice for travel to UK

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens choice for travel to UK

Hi I'm off to the UK next week for 3 weeks and will be a doing a variety of shooting from gardens, towns, landscapes, zoos and hopefully some birding. The lenses I've locked in so far are:

35 f/1.8 VC
16-35 f/4L IS
24-70 f/2.8L II
100-400L II IS
1.4x TC III

Cameras: 5D4 and 5DsR

Where I'm torn is between the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and the 70-300L IS. The 200 is my favourite lens for gardens and I like it for walkabout for the DoF control, I often shoot it wide open that 2 stops makes a world of difference. However the 300L is much lighter and more compact, and IQ is excellent. My concern taking the 300L is I already have the 100-400L with me so that's. a lot of overlap, but it would get used more often I think. I can use my 1.4x to turn the 70-200 in to a 98-280 f/4L IS, but now we are getting close to 1.8kg, vs 1kg for the 300L

HAs any body used the 70-300L for florography as I call it, and a general walk about in town. I mostly use it for the zoo and whale watching, my wife can handle it a lot easier than either the 100-400 or 70-200, but on this trip I'll be doing nearly all the shooting.

There's no wrong answer so I could toss a coin.

Another question would you bother to take the 24 TS-E I. I'd like to take it but trying not to bring too many lenses, I often end agonising what to take.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I'm in Utah with the 16-35/4L IS, 24-70/4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS II, and 100-400L IS II, and it does most of what I need. I use the f/2.8L IS II most of all, for scenic stuff this week, and some events next week. I also have the TS-E 17/4L, for some architectural photos next week, plus a bag of Alt primes. A few years ago, I had the 70-300L IS for a short time (alongside 70-200/2.8L IS II and 100-400 L IS Mk I), and never found a situation where I preferred the 70-300mm over one of the other two (or 70-200/4L IS +/- 1.4xIII).

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I would travel with a similar package.
After many trips to the UK, I would bring the 70-200 as well. Based on the weather I have experienced, f/2.8 will be nice to fall back on.

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:47 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens choice for travel to UK

You probably won't use 100-400mm II much but if your luggage allowance and if you can carry the weights then bring them otherwise substitute with 70-200mm.

I'd probably skip 35mm 1.8 too but if that is the focal length you liked to shoot with then bring them.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:03 AM

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I would personally take as less as I could
16-35 and 70-200 as main lenses that will stay on your cameras mostly all the time (UWA for 5DS and 70-200 for 5D4 IMHO) and 35/1,8 and 100-400 for specific purposes u mentioned. For DOF control you have 35 and 70-200, and ALL these lenses are IS capable for lowlight shooting.
So 24-70/2,8 and TS-E are not so welcomed considering excessive number of lenses and weight factor. Do you bring a tripod with you? If not than TS-E def won't play its role properly.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:42 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens choice for travel to UK

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely taking the 24-70 I use that for landscape more than my 16-35 many cases.

I'd like to do a lot of interior shots especially in London, so I might take the 14 f/2.8 instead of the 35 f/1.8 and if we get some clear nights, do some some milky way shots. I think you are right, 70-200 given the possible low light levels with the UK weather.

I was considering the 100-400L II since their a few bird locations I'm going to and Chester Zoo although the 70-300 would cover that as well. The big question if I'll do enough birding to warrant the 100-400L.

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:17 AM
edean
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I think probably bring the 70-200 as the nights are closing in quickly now. Are you planning to get out to rural areas, Scotland or the Coast. There is a lot of light pollution in the South East/London area. The Surrey Hills (Box, Leith, Holmbury and Pitch) are good for some views of the South Downs. One good place you can go for birds to to the Wetlands and Wildfowl Trust which is west London. They always have a variety of species and a lot of migratory birds stop there on route to travelling to warmer climates there are some hides there on site. For that you would want the 100-400.

Of course if you are in Chester then the Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia and the Yorkshire Dales are all easily accessible by car for sunning scenery but it's more likely to be cloudy 'up north' on the west coast:-).

Any other cities /towns for Architecture ?

I see the dilemma!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely taking the 24-70 I use that for landscape more than my 16-35 many cases.

I'd like to do a lot of interior shots especially in London, so I might take the 14 f/2.8 instead of the 35 f/1.8 and if we get some clear nights, do some some milky way shots. I think you are right, 70-200 given the possible low light levels with the UK weather.

I was considering the 100-400L II since their a few bird locations I'm going to and Chester Zoo although the 70-300 would cover that as well. The
...Show more

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:42 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens choice for travel to UK

edean wrote:
I think probably bring the 70-200 as the nights are closing in quickly now. Are you planning to get out to rural areas, Scotland or the Coast. There is a lot of light pollution in the South East/London area. The Surrey Hills (Box, Leith, Holmbury and Pitch) are good for some views of the South Downs. One good place you can go for birds to to the Wetlands and Wildfowl Trust which is west London. They always have a variety of species and a lot of migratory birds stop there on route to travelling to warmer climates there are some
...Show more

I should have said itinerary is:

London 6 days
Lakes District 4 days
Chester 3 days
North Wales 6 days

Chester and London good for architecture, and castles and stately homes around North Wales.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:08 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I married a Welsh girl 47 years ago, and have been there many times. (Mostly glorified trips to my mother-in-law's.) She grew up in Flintshire, about 40 miles from Chester.
No doubt Chester is a great for photos. Have a great trip.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:57 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens choice for travel to UK

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Hi I'm off to the UK next week for 3 weeks and will be a doing a variety of shooting from gardens, towns, landscapes, zoos and hopefully some birding.

My concern taking the 300L is I already have the 100-400L with me so that's a lot of overlap, but it would get used more often I think.

I certainly do see the attraction of seeing birds we don't have here and would myself be making the effort, even if I didn't think I could bring suitable equipment and would just have a small pair of binoculars.

I think you're likely to be travelling to specific places to see birds in the UK. I have several I've heard of bookmarked in case I go back there, but I wouldn't expect to see lots of gorgeous birds just around the suburbs the way we do here. For a start, a lot of local councils don't seem to believe in street trees, and many prewar front gardens have been concreted over for parking. Certainly central London is lotsa lotsa concrete aside from the large parks. In other words, birding will probably be a "destination" rather than a "background activity".

With that in mind, I suggest you regard the 100–400 and 1.4 as a separate birding kit which you will *not* have with you all the time and try to depot it somewhere - friends, or a hotel.

That opens the way to carrying the kit you really want to. There's two of you, so the extra weight is probably not a problem for aircraft carry-on limits. I would assume you'll be in the same place all 6 nights in London and then have a car for outside London. Don't expect to have a comfortable time carrying the full kit around London on public transport.

(If I did take a 100–400 to London, on my list would be the deer in Richmond Park.)

Has any body used the 70-300L for florography as I call it,

I don't even own it, but I'd consider it too slow. I do use this focal length for flowers, but about half the time at f/4. And if you're considering the 100–400 for that, try it out before hand. I find it poor at close range in this application, and I'm not alone.

...if we get some clear nights, do some some milky way shots

I wouldn't bother. There's a reason the Anglo-Australian Telescope is here and not there (light pollution).

Sep 10, 2017 at 06:44 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I'd go with the 70-200mm too.

With the suggestion above of using the 100-400mm as a birding package, the rest of the time I'd find the 70-200mm in cities invaluable. Since you have the 1.4x, which pairs well with the v2 lens, you can use that for situations where you want more than 200mm but don't have the 100-400mm that day.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:03 AM
johnlg
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens choice for travel to UK

Judging by our current weather, bring your fast lenses!! Have a lovely trip, there really is some fantastic scenery to be found here much of which you'll see judging by your planned stops.

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:57 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I'd take the 70-300L over the 100-400mm, and I also would leave the 70-200 home. I use the 70-300L instead of a 70-200 f4 IS and prefer it. Both the 70-200 f2.8 and the 100-400mm are too big for a general tourist trip IMO. The 100-400mm is only really preferred if wildlife is a big thing for you. If you have a small prime short tele you could bring this, if you need a faster/smaller lens about town (when you leave the 70-300L in your room), 85/1.8, 100/2 or 2.8 macro etc.;

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:09 AM
JeepWrangler

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens choice for travel to UK

For Canon, I would just take a 28-300L. That gives you a wide range and you only need to take the one lens.

Sep 11, 2017 at 09:56 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens choice for travel to UK

I wonder if there is a place in London to rent a tele lens for birds? That way you don't have to lug one all the way there for limited action.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM
edean
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens choice for travel to UK

jharter wrote:
I wonder if there is a place in London to rent a tele lens for birds? That way you don't have to lug one all the way there for limited action.

You could try Fixation in Kennington (London). They are a pro shop and authorised Canon CPS service centre in the UK. I bought a 1ds2 from them and had a dropped 100-400 repaired perfectly.

Canon EF 100-400mm ƒ/4.5-5.6L IS II USM £35.00 per day (excl. VAT)
http://www.fixationuk.com/product/canon-ef-100-400mm-%C2%804-5-5-6l-is-ii-usm/

You can always go for the more exotic glass...
http://www.fixationuk.com/product-category/stills/lenses/canon-lenses/?filter_lens-type=telephoto&query_type_lens-type=or&filter_sensor-format=full-frame&query_type_sensor-format=or&filter_brand=canon&query_type_brand=or

Edited on Sep 11, 2017 at 01:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:26 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens choice for travel to UK

TBH as someone guilty of dragging too much around myself, I would "question" the need for the 70-200L or the 70-300L altogether since you are bringing the 100-400 II already...especially the 70-300 will be as you are saying yourself, redundant in most scenarios.

Yes, it is lighter, but you will be hauling lots and lots already. If I was going with only one tele-zoom, and I wanted something compact, the 70-300L would be my choice, but I would leave any other white behind.

You say the 70-200 II is what you love for gardens...the 100-400 II is darker, sure, but if subject isolation is what you are after, the longer FL and the great MFD will help you get lots of shots that would not be possible with either 70-xxx lens. I'd rather have a ETTL speedlight - if permissible - to fill in my shots with all these lenses really - will cover the shortfall of the darker aperture, will actually isolate the subject a bit better, create sharper images than 1.5-2 stops of extra light would allow for with the f/2.8 zoom. So for anything that would involve close-ups, the 100-400 II has the advantage IMHO.

The 35mm f/1.8 VC does a lot in low light, but again, arguably you could get away with just the 24-70L II and be more versatile.

The TS-E is great, but it is hard to use properly without a tripod IMHO, and dragging along that + deploying it every few minutes will "kill" it for those that will join you for this trip - even if they know about your "passion" and they "understand you". You need to understand them back

So from what you are saying, I would think the 3x zooms listed alone could cut it easily. Forget primes and TSE etc...
Between the whites, I would pick the 70-300L for light weight & OK all-around versatility, the 100-400 II for the potential bird and close-ups, the 70-200 II if f/2.8 for more casual portraits & arch details & low light shooting. But pick one priority and go with that, otherwise, you will end up dragging more lenses that you will probably never really mount on the camera(s).

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:12 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens choice for travel to UK

Have to say the last thing I would do if I were going on a trip like that (and being a Londoner myself I avoid the place whenever possible now)

I would just take a basic kit that took pictures - a super-wide zoom, a standard lens or zoom and a tele, plus some sort of backup camera.

Personally carrying loads of gear around or worrying about it back in the hotel spoils my trip, which is why I shoot EF-S exclusively when I'm away. 8 10ths of the IQ for much less cost and weight. This is a vacation, not work. What am I going to do with these images? Gigantic prints? probably not, they're memories. Shooting for stock? Different matter. That's work.

Many disagree

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:50 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens choice for travel to UK

dtolios wrote:
You say the 70-200 II is what you love for gardens...the 100-400 II is darker, sure, but if subject isolation is what you are after, the longer FL and the great MFD will help you get lots of shots that would not be possible with either 70-xxx lens.

With less than a week to go, I thnk the OP should take for his "florography" the equipment he usually uses, and not have to make time to try out new techniques before he leaves or risk them/futz with them on the trip. (If it were me in this situation I'd have it easy because my most common lens for this is the compact Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro Planar ZE.)

If you actually try the 100–400 for flower photography, you will discover its shortcomings.

The TS-E is great, but it is hard to use properly without a tripod IMHO, and dragging along that + deploying it every few minutes will "kill" it for those that will join you for this trip - even if they know about your "passion" and they "understand you". You need to understand them back

I use it handheld all the time with shift. Tilt is another thing, but much less often needed for these types of subjects.

I would almost certainly take mine on a trip to the UK. Maybe the exception might be Scotland, where I'd prefer something weather sealed.

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:40 PM
Johnwocher
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens choice for travel to UK

Good Morning - Lots of good advice here.
My standard set - 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 & 70-200 f/2.8. Covers 17-200 nicely. If you need 400 at f/5.6, a different story.
John

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.