New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

X Raw Studio?

rsk7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X Raw Studio?

From a practical standpoint, what does this do for us Raw shooters who currently use Lightroom/Irident X-Tran or other desktop raw processing software?

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:35 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X Raw Studio?

Very little information out there in Googleland. Apparently it uses the camera processor to convert RAW files instead of using the computer's. Supposed to be faster, but since it's traveling across a slow USB cable, not sure how much faster it can be. The main benefit I believe will be a better raw conversion. Of course, you would still need to import the files into an editing platform, after you import them into X Raw Studio. At least I think that is how it will work.

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X Raw Studio?

gregfountain wrote:
Very little information out there in Googleland. Apparently it uses the camera processor to convert RAW files instead of using the computer's. Supposed to be faster, but since it's traveling across a slow USB cable, not sure how much faster it can be. The main benefit I believe will be a better raw conversion. Of course, you would still need to import the files into an editing platform, after you import them into X Raw Studio. At least I think that is how it will work.

I was under the impression that it will only work with the newest Fuji cameras but as the X-E3 for example has USB 2 speeds, I'm kind of perplexed at how this could work at a decent pace. I assume that the software uses the camera processor and then places the edited files onto the computer - or does it perhaps write it to card?

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:36 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X Raw Studio?

Pavel wrote:
I was under the impression that it will only work with the newest Fuji cameras but as the X-E3 for example has USB 2 speeds, I'm kind of perplexed at how this could work at a decent pace. I assume that the software uses the camera processor and then places the edited files onto the computer - or does it perhaps write it to card?

I read that too, that it simply writes it back to the card. So the question for me would be; why do I need X Raw Studio? And if all it does is convert Raw files to either JPG or TIFF files, like some have suggested, why not just shoot in JPG? More to come I am sure. I doubt Fuji would make an announcement for a useless piece of software. More likely, it addresses the complaints about Lightroom struggling to process X-Trans files, using the camera's hardware.

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:56 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X Raw Studio?

gregfountain wrote:
I read that too, that it simply writes it back to the card. So the question for me would be; why do I need X Raw Studio? And if all it does is convert Raw files to either JPG or TIFF files, like some have suggested, why not just shoot in JPG? More to come I am sure. I doubt Fuji would make an announcement for a useless piece of software. More likely, it addresses the complaints about Lightroom struggling to process X-Trans files, using the camera's hardware.

I imagine you can have control over the JPEG creation process, such as selecting the shadow and highlight settings, the film simulation used, white balance settings etc.

Sounds like its basically a more advanced UI for doing in camera RAW conversion, with the added ability to do things like batch process etc

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:11 AM
AZ Photo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X Raw Studio?

millsart wrote:
I imagine you can have control over the JPEG creation process, such as selecting the shadow and highlight settings, the film simulation used, white balance settings etc.

Sounds like its basically a more advanced UI for doing in camera RAW conversion, with the added ability to do things like batch process etc

Exactly - and this could be a benefit over shooting raw/jpeg where you have to decide ahead of time, for example, which film simulation to use. You could essentially bracket film simulations after the fact, using the camera processor and select how many to create.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:50 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X Raw Studio?

I am trying to open minded about it, but unless you are doing some events or something like that, it is pretty much a waste. But we shall see it may be gonzo.

Alan

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X Raw Studio?

Do remember that the X-T2 has USB 3.0. But I do hope we get more leaway regarding highlights and shadows and NR. Can't wait to see what the software can do.

Sep 10, 2017 at 06:11 AM
esanchez
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X Raw Studio?

I hope the software gives us the same interface that the camera has as far as highlight and shadow control. Once you dial in your settings via the software, hit convert and it will use the camera's processor to make a jpg back to your computer. That would make sense. Same as the RAW convert in the camera but give you the easy of use from you desktop.

Sep 10, 2017 at 02:43 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X Raw Studio?

esanchez wrote:
I hope the software gives us the same interface that the camera has as far as highlight and shadow control. Once you dial in your settings via the software, hit convert and it will use the camera's processor to make a jpg back to your computer. That would make sense. Same as the RAW convert in the camera but give you the easy of use from you desktop.

Hard to believe that an i5 or i7 desktop processor can't do these conversions. Real hard to believe.

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:39 PM
esanchez
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X Raw Studio?

It can but there must be something proprietary on the processor that creates those wonderful jpgs. Fuji will not release that code for us to run on a computer.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:08 PM
AZ Photo

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X Raw Studio?

George Orwell wrote:
Hard to believe that an i5 or i7 desktop processor can't do these conversions. Real hard to believe.

Maybe - but we do know that the raw converter supplied by Fuji doesn't do it and we can also be pretty sure that raw conversion in camera is going to be dramatically faster

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:37 AM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X Raw Studio?

esanchez wrote:
It can but there must be something proprietary on the processor that creates those wonderful jpgs. Fuji will not release that code for us to run on a computer.

Honestly, I think it's just for intellectual property reasons; they don't want people to reverse engineer it.

If it runs on their embedded system (i.e. X Processor Pro), it is infinitely harder to reverse engineer than if it was running on Intel's x86 architecture.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:52 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password