sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Landscape compact camera

princekiska wrote:
Question guys
Sony a7RII vs a7S
Which would be better choice?

if you want to make big prints of landscape images the a7rii. the a7rii maximizes raw image quality and resolution, the a7s is designed for video and extreme low light.

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:55 PM
princekiska

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Landscape compact camera

Just wondering why so many Leica Q was sold here and other websites if that is best camera?
I dont get it
Thanks
Sony seems will be on my short list with Fuji
I think

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:44 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Landscape compact camera

The best camera doesn't always have the best name...

I do like my Leica lenses tho

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:47 PM
Arches
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Landscape compact camera

I just struggled with the very question you posed. I've started backpacking again and had no desire to carry my D800 + zoom in addition to about 35 lbs of equipment on my back. I ultimately decided to go with my Leica M240 and the Zeiss ZM 35 f2.8 Biogon. It ended up working great. I don't feel I compromised an iota in terms of image quality and was able to wear it slung around my neck and shoulder for instant access. While there were times I would have liked a zoom in instances where I couldn't step forward or backward, I had my iPhone handy for those rare instances (as well as for panos). I also found the use of a polarizer pretty hassle-free despite my camera being a rangefinder. I'd just check the proper degree of polarization using Live View and then bring the camera to my face for focusing (although that wasn't always necessary as I was focused to infinity most times).

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:47 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Landscape compact camera

princekiska wrote:
Just wondering why so many Leica Q was sold here and other websites if that is best camera?
I dont get it
Thanks
I think

I think a lot of people buy Leica for the name/brand/reputation thinking it will improve their photography, then realize the gear can only do so much and Leica is rarely a performance for price leader (IMO it makes you work harder). I do love their gear though...

It would help if you were to list your priorities. But even then you're going to get a wide range of suggestions.

The camera shop recommendations of LX10 or RX100 prioritize camera size over image quality. While those are very competent compact zoom cameras, the tradeoff is the relatively small 1" sensor. If image quality is a priority, as others have already stated, you'll have to look at something full frame and higher megapixel, or perhaps APS-C.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:34 AM
princekiska

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Landscape compact camera

rscheffler wrote:
I think a lot of people buy Leica for the name/brand/reputation thinking it will improve their photography, then realize the gear can only do so much and Leica is rarely a performance for price leader (IMO it makes you work harder). I do love their gear though...

It would help if you were to list your priorities. But even then you're going to get a wide range of suggestions.

The camera shop recommendations of LX10 or RX100 prioritize camera size over image quality. While those are very competent compact zoom cameras, the tradeoff is the relatively small 1" sensor. If image quality
...Show more

Thank you
What camera you have in mind exactly?
Yes I want the Best quality but also dont want to carry 60lbs

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:59 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Landscape compact camera

What is your definition of best quality?

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:07 PM
princekiska

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Landscape compact camera

Sharpnes,vivid,resolution,good dept etc
Thanks

rscheffler wrote:
What is your definition of best quality?

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Landscape compact camera

Since the title is landscape compact camera.
A very easy recommendation will be Sony A7RII or A7R.
Though if you visit Fuji and Olympus thread, you will find they are capable as well given they have awesome lens selection for landscape.
Q or RX1 are nice but they only offer one focal length. How am I define them as a good landscape cameras. They certainly as good as any system with 35mm or 28mm at 24M.
Leica is not highly recommended simply due to mandatory noise reduction. And it doesn't offer more quality compare to Sony system with much higher price and lower reliability.

princekiska wrote:
Sharpnes,vivid,resolution,good dept etc
Thanks

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:16 PM
princekiska

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Landscape compact camera

Thank you
Will check these out

Sep 13, 2017 at 07:33 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Landscape compact camera

Pretty much any camera 24MP and higher will give you "sharpness, vivid, resolution...."

For utmost technical image quality in a relatively small package, I think you'll want to look at Sony full frame. This will mean the a7RII camera. For compact Sony compatible lenses, consider options such as the Zeiss Loxia and Batis lines. Loxia are manual focus, which won't be a problem for landscape purposes while the Batis lenses are autofocus which is good for people photos and other moving subjects. Sony also has a few smaller full frame lenses such as 35/2.8, 55/1.8 and 85/1.8.

For smaller camera options you can consider APS-C such as the Sony a6500 or the Fuji system. With Sony you can use the same Loxia and Batis lenses, as well as Zeiss Touit. While there are small native Sony lens options, as already mentioned, but not many. For the most part, Sony's better lenses tend to be for full frame and similar in size to DSLR lens options. If you were to select from the larger Sony lenses then I'd say you could also consider the Canon 5DS camera, Nikon's D810 or new D850 and similar lenses from those brands.

Back to APS-C, Canon's M5 or M6 cameras are also quite good and very competitive with the sensor quality available from Sony or Fuji (all are 24MP). Canon's EF-M lenses are small and very good quality for reasonable price, but the selection is not nearly as extensive as for example that from Fuji. Rather, with Canon you'll probably be looking at adapting some of the smaller full frame EF lenses from their DSLR line to those cameras.

With any of the mirrorless cameras, full frame or APS-C, you can consider adapting manual focus SLR lenses from older systems. There are a lot of lenses to choose from, but you will have to buy these used and do a lot of research to find ones to best suit your needs.

Cameras with sensors smaller than APS-C will have less noticeable technical advantages over smartphone cameras, etc. While the m43 system is very extensive with some excellent lenses and relatively compact because of the smaller sensor size, it's once again a tradeoff of technical image quality to gain the smaller footprint. Of course you can still create excellent, very pleasing images with these systems, as many photographers have proven. But if you're after ultimate resolution and 'sharpness' then I think you'll want to look at larger sensor systems.

Ultimately there isn't one right answer, which is why you've received so many different suggestion from others in your thread.

For example, you could also consider medium format mirrorless cameras such as the new Hasselblad, which is quite compact for its sensor size. But the technical image quality improvement over a camera such as the a7RII is incremental. Really, each step up in sensor size - 1" to m43 to APS-C to full frame to medium format results in incremental image quality improvements. In my opinion, the sweet spot currently remains at full frame for the variety of factors that would culminate in 'best quality' at a reasonable size.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM
paulhofseth
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Landscape compact camera

Higher resolution needs a steady camera. Hence stabilization , solid support or tripod.

If you use RAW files, in-camera jpg engines, fast video performance etc. are irrelevant and autofocus may be less interesting. This means that substantial parts of online reviews can be disregarded.

"Stitching" can take care of any resolution size demands with reasonably still subjects, as can Olympus Pen Fs extreme resolution mode and the slightly different Pentax variety. So a pocketable CanonM with a suitable lens, an extra battery, careful handling and no sun shining on its screen may perhaps compete with the slightly less pocketable Olympus PenF, Fuji or Leica M with proper viewfinders.

You will, however, find that good optics are essential. Given that corner sharpness demands may be higher for landscapes than for instance for portraits, you may wish to closely examine corner performance of optics that need digital correction. When geometrical faults, vignetting and colour artifacts get digitally corrected, there may be differences in dynamic range and sharpness in the corners, varying from case to case,- sometimes sacrificed for better overall performance over the rest of the image circle (or for compactness or lower cost).

Luckily, even though light can change fast, landscapes do not run away, so there is usually time for older generation optics to be adjusted. In the case of Olympus there are well corrected 43s, but they are quite large. Leica, Zeiss, Voigtländer etc. also have compact, well corrected lenses and most FF optics can be adapted to the short lens-flange bodies.

p.

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:33 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Landscape compact camera

Ricoh GR for excellent usability and a truly great lens. I also have the Sony RX-100 II but wouldn't recommend that for landscape at all. It's nice for other purposes but not great for landscape, IMO.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:53 PM
princekiska

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Landscape compact camera

Thank you all for your advice
I think I set my eye on D850

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM
robgo2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Landscape compact camera

princekiska wrote:
I dont get it
Thanks
I think

I own the Q and think it is fantastic, delivering what is possibly the best IQ that I have seen from any camera. I am not aware that other owners have been selling their Qs en masse, but I do know that it has been a good seller for Leica, and that it has maintained its new camera price for over 2 years and excellent resale prices as well. So if you want a superb compact camera with a magnificent 28mm summilux thrown into the deal, there isn't anything else out there that can match the Leica Q.

Rob

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:36 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Landscape compact camera

princekiska wrote:
Thank you all for your advice
I think I set my eye on D850

should be fantastic for landscape, though not terribly compact.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:03 AM
waterden
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Landscape compact camera

If you want to do more than casual landscape photography you will need a camera which has a lens or the ability to use lenses which accept filters (Lee, Hitech, etc) and which can be triggered remotely. Personally, I find manual focus / EVF is best for landscapes and filters are pretty well essential. Of course, tripods and proper heads are also needed so this may be too much for hiking.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:22 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password