New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Landscape compact camera

princekiska

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape compact camera

Hello guys
I have a question what would be your choice for very compact and very good camera for landscape etc?
I dont mean cheap camera
Something that rivals DSLR if any?
Thanks

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:42 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape compact camera

RX1, Coolpix A

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:43 PM
princekiska

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape compact camera

Thank you
Never actually thought about these
I was thinking Fuji or Leica maybe but dont know which one
I am looking for something more like point and shoot with very good results
Thanks again

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:48 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape compact camera

any mirrorless will be more compact than a DSLR

sensor size determines dynamic range which is important in landscape work

you can choose a medium format m'less Blad for $$$$

Nikon is about to come out with a full frame m'less, dunno re Canon but they have DX sized ones (APS-C)

then there is m43 - either Oly or Panasonic - I use the latter with Leica lenses for compact or light wt. uses; and use FF Nikon for close to the car use (which becomes closer & closer with age & injuries)

you can use HDR settings but then you will not get a raw file for the ones that stack in camera

don't just compare the body sizes or wt.s as the lens is the real savings for m43

a cheap way to get a landscape setup is a nice FF Nikon body with older lenses on it - the D800 takes anything back to the early 1960s and has very high DR

another idea - Pentax has some pixel shift technology that no one else has yet

many love Fuji - I think that is based on ergonomics for street or walk-around use

don't forget to buy a good tripod - if nothing else, it slows you down and makes you think

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:08 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape compact camera

X-T20 is the same sensor as the X-T2. Should be capable of great results. Not sure of your size expectations or budget.

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:46 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape compact camera

RX1 can be about as simple to use as it gets, and the results are excellent, but the lens may not be quite as wide as you might like for landscape. Same problem for X100 series, except there's a quite good wide angle lens you add to the front -- but that makes it bigger. Coolpix A gives you a 28mm lens.

And if money's no object, try a Leica Q

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:24 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscape compact camera

I like the m5 with 11-22 lens on it. one of the m's without viewfinder would be a bit more compact.

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:54 AM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Landscape compact camera

Look at the Ricoh GR

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:59 AM
dakel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Landscape compact camera

Depends on what you mean by very compact. If you mean something cellphone sized then I would say the Sigma DP0 quattro, Ricoh GR or Sony RX100 series....

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:24 AM
princekiska

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Landscape compact camera

Thank you all for these tips
I did not set my budget cause I know I cant if I want something that will rival DSLR
I am thinking Leica Q Fuji and Ricoh

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

princekiska

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Landscape compact camera

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX15
Any thoughts about this one?
Is it available in US?

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:07 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Landscape compact camera

Sony Rx1r ii and Leica Q are the kings of IQ compact point and shoots.
They don't rival DSLR... They beat them to the ground with a sledge hammer.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:28 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Landscape compact camera

I bought a Ricoh GR II to check it out, both for IQ and also for the 28mm FOV. It is remarkable and, apart from lack of EVF and low light performance (2.8 vs 1.7 wide open), I would say it is a serious rival for the Leica Q at one seventh of the price. Worth buying one to see for yourself. It's been revelatory for me and goes with me wherever I go. However, while no different from the Q in this respect, it is not the ideal small format landscape camera. For that you need interchangeable lenses and an EVF for magnified view. I would go for either one of the Sony A7 bodies, where there are now plenty of great native lenses or the Leica SL with M or R lenses. I've just moved from the Sony A7R II to the SL and find the EVF and ergonomics much better on the latter. However, it's not compact when used with its native lenses but acceptably so with M or R glass. This is an excellent review which might tempt you, as it did me

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/06/landscape-photographer-in-depth-leica-sl-review.html

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:57 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Landscape compact camera

I think the a7r is pretty hard to beat as a landscape camera. It's smaller and lighter than the a7rii, has a bit more dynamic range at ISO 100, and 36mp is plenty for detail. Pair it with a small prime like the 35mm 2.8 and it's a tough package to beat

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:58 PM
princekiska

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Landscape compact camera

Even more choices now
It is getting really tough to decide now
Thanks all

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:35 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Landscape compact camera

I'd say go for the max DR you can carry or want to carry - again, bigger sensor = more DR.

I'd also get an ILC so you can change lenses.

The critical thing is to be there for the right light, not the gear per se.

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:58 PM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Landscape compact camera

trogdon wrote:
I think the a7r is pretty hard to beat as a landscape camera. It's smaller and lighter than the a7rii, has a bit more dynamic range at ISO 100, and 36mp is plenty for detail. Pair it with a small prime like the 35mm 2.8 and it's a tough package to beat

My opinion too but agree that time and place (and I'll add PP) are more important than gear.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:35 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Landscape compact camera

i think it's pretty hard to beat the a7rii with contax g 21, 28, 45, and 90mm lenses for compact landscape. you can get a bit better with much bigger lenses, but that's about it.

for really small i'd just go rx1rii or leica Q depending your focal length preference.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Landscape compact camera

Stop trying to convince me to buy that 21!

To the OP: What's more important? Absolute IQ or Absolute Portability? E-M5II has pixel ship high res modes, and great glass. I'm enjoying my E-M5 as a tiny walk about, and coupled with the PL 15mm, it has my RX-1 up for sale due to EVF and MUCH better AF. RX-1 has better micro contrast, and much more latitude for editing RAWs.

I'd agree too with an original A7R. Still compact and there are some great smallish primes, Loxia 21&35, Firin, FE 28&35, etc. Mirrorless without the EVF hump are shorter but not a lot smaller. E-M5 is smaller, but 1/4 the sensor area...

It's always a game of trade offs, so what are your priorities?

sebboh wrote:
i think it's pretty hard to beat the a7rii with contax g 21, 28, 45, and 90mm lenses for compact landscape. you can get a bit better with much bigger lenses, but that's about it.

for really small i'd just go rx1rii or leica Q depending your focal length preference.

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:35 AM
princekiska

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Landscape compact camera

Talk to few guys at photo gear store all these prefer LX-10 and Sony RX-100 over any other
I am glad I ask you guys here at least I have more to compare and I think I will make right choice
It is really hard to find nice compact mirror less body
I will keep looking
Sony,Leica ,Fuji seems make sense here more then anything just money wise it is not
Thank you again
Any other thoughts please let me know

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password