New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Why did you choose Sony?

lostinjapan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Why did you choose Sony?

Was shooting a Canon 5D3 before I bought my my A7r (now 7r2). The 5D3 was a great camera in nearly every respect, but one......the sensor. I shoot pretty much landscapes only, the 5D3 files, especially the shadows never held up very well, went to mush real fast. If Canon had managed to stick the A7R or 7RII sensor (or at least a closer one) I would have stayed with Canon. Now I am fairly happy with the 7r2, just wish it had the battery life of the 5D3.

Ryan

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:48 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Why did you choose Sony?

lostinjapan wrote:
Was shooting a Canon 5D3 before I bought my my A7r (now 7r2). The 5D3 was a great camera in nearly every respect, but one......the sensor. I shoot pretty much landscapes only, the 5D3 files, especially the shadows never held up very well, went to mush real fast. If Canon had managed to stick the A7R or 7RII sensor (or at least a closer one) I would have stayed with Canon. Now I am fairly happy with the 7r2, just wish it had the battery life of the 5D3.

Ryan

Unless you trek for days shooting landscapes, I can't see how the battery life really comes into play. I don't believe I have ever used up a single battery on a landscape outing. Could you not take a couple of spares and be all set?

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:59 PM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Why did you choose Sony?

Of course, but when I was shooting with the 5D3 I could easily get by with one battery but usually had two in the grip. With the 7r2 I usually have to carry at least three or four to equal what one battery would last me on the 5d3. Just an added cost.

Ryan

chez wrote:
Unless you trek for days shooting landscapes, I can't see how the battery life really comes into play. I don't believe I have ever used up a single battery on a landscape outing. Could you not take a couple of spares and be all set?

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM
ZoneV
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Why did you choose Sony?

I bought my Sony A7II to use it with my own DIY lense, own speedbooster experiments and lens adapting. I own ~1000 lenses and want to adapt many different ones, not only Nikon F, Canon FD, M42, Minolta SR.. but some where no adapters exist like projection lenses, industrial lenses and such.
The Fuji GFX would be nice too, but too expesnive, and too late. I changed to Sony when the A7II was released.
Short flange back distance, in body stabilization and at least 24x36mm (fullframe) where the requirements to change.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:19 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Why did you choose Sony?

I was in the process of buying a Canon EOS 5DS R when Sony dropped the A7r2 bomb and all the reviewers showed how it could do fairly good AF with Canon EF lenses. I had been eyeing the A7r occasionally before that, but A7r2 promised much better AF and with both first curtain shutter and IBIS, I was eyeing the promise of sharp images even handheld despite the high resolution.

The A7r2 has given me stellar image quality since then, and my Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II still rocks with it. Has added the Sony FE 35mm f/1.4, then the FE 16-35 f/4 and finally the 85mm GM. Great setup.

The only downside is that I feel the A7r2 is a bit of a turtle to use and operate, so I really hope that the A9 is a glimpse of what is to come next for A7r3 or A9r. Did have some envy of the Sony A99II and the Nikon D850 to be honest. High image quality and fast handling, thanks-in-advance Sony.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Why did you choose Sony?

Oh, and please release that light FE 35mm f/2 ASAP! Thanks-in-advance, Sony or Zeiss.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:20 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Why did you choose Sony?

Oh, and image processing software?

Capture One Pro all the way!

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM
lacksative
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Why did you choose Sony?

I've been an avid Canon user since 2003 and i still like the system. Somewhere along the years i found myself not liking photography for the reason i liked it when i got my first camera at the age of three. A couple of years back i decided to switch my 5D Mark II for a 7D so i could get a smaller easier body to carry around with me.. but it didn't really make much difference.

Two weeks ago i upgraded to the still available new Sony A7 body and bought a Mitakon 50/.95 to go with it. The spark for photography suddenly came back. It's a combination of a classic design, ability to adapt old lenses and fast manual focus with EVF that did it for me.

So far the image quality and especially dynamic range seems to be something quite different from any of the Canon EOS bodies i've used throughout the years. The menu system needs a favorite menu though, it's way too scattered now.

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:30 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Why did you choose Sony?

Coming from Nikon (D7100 + D750 to A6300 + A6300)

- More precise AF: no AF fine tuning every. single. lens., or running into lenses that can't be fully tuned (biggest pet peeve). Not to mention near-full coverage of the frame in AF points.

- EVF: exposure/focus preview, zebras, peaking, video through viewfinder, no AF penalty using LCD vs EVF. Plus, using Fred's zebra technique to preserve highlights is invaluable for landscape shooting.

- Near limitless adaptability: almost any lens at my fingertips with AF (to varying degrees, of course). Also satisfies my occasional hunger for super fast lenses at cheap prices!

- Compact size: highly portable when I need it to be, yet can still work with big lenses (70-200s, 150-600s, etc.) via adapter.

- Fast track for improvements: NEX-6 -> A6000 -> A6300 (owned all 3) have had substantial upgrades between each that would take Nikon 2-3 models to reach. Their APS-C line kind of hit a brick wall at the D7100, and has started going backwards with the D7500.

Lots of other little things here and there (crazy apps, pro level [at the time] continuous drive, pro video features, tilting screen [limited to D750 at the time], high level of button customization), but those are the biggest things that made me change. That said, I had to wait for the A6300 to arrive first, as I just didn't have enough confidence in the A6000 to make a full switch. Things like adapter compatibility, selectable minimum auto shutter speed, 14-bit RAW, etc. in the A6300 were very important to how I shoot, and what lenses I wanted to use at the time.

In the end, no regrets. Nothing held me back more than AF reliability, so I'm fine taking a bit of a hit in AF speed (mainly for birding) in exchange for near perfect AF precision once the camera does lock on. No more chimping, worrying if the shot was in focus or if the camera metered correctly (Nikons seem to meter a bit hot). I took a chance, and it was well worth it.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:07 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Why did you choose Sony?

lostinjapan wrote:
Of course, but when I was shooting with the 5D3 I could easily get by with one battery but usually had two in the grip. With the 7r2 I usually have to carry at least three or four to equal what one battery would last me on the 5d3. Just an added cost.

Ryan

Do you really take more than 1000 images during a landscape outing? I just got back from 2 weeks in Kauai and never ran one battery down in a day. Came back with about 1500 images.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Why did you choose Sony?

chez wrote:
Do you really take more than 1000 images during a landscape outing? I just got back from 2 weeks in Kauai and never ran one battery down in a day. Came back with about 1500 images.

I'm sure it's more in the shooting style than actual number of photos taken. For example, I can go out and shoot surfing and easily get over 1000 shots per battery. Now when I shoot weddings, it's usually around 150-400 shots per battery, and each battery lasts around 3-4 hours. If he's taking a lot of time composing/focusing, stacking focus, checking exposure, etc., that will eat up battery life regardless of how many pics he takes.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:29 AM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Why did you choose Sony?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
I'm sure it's more in the shooting style than actual number of photos taken. For example, I can go out and shoot surfing and easily get over 1000 shots per battery. Now when I shoot weddings, it's usually around 150-400 shots per battery, and each battery lasts around 3-4 hours. If he's taking a lot of time composing/focusing, stacking focus, checking exposure, etc., that will eat up battery life regardless of how many pics he takes.

Exactly, I tend to take a long time setting up, then checking everything and then more often than not take long exposures sometimes more than several minutes. That kills the battery a pretty quick.

Ryan

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:08 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Why did you choose Sony?

About battery consumption: I usually go to hikes (typically ~6h, sometimes just 2h sometimes 14h) with 4 cameras (2xA7, A7r, A7mkII). And I hike for photography, so I shoot a lot and not so much concentrate walking long distances. Typically the most used camera battery has ~40% power left when I return home/basecamp, others less worn. Also I struggle to find direct relation between number of shots taken vs. battery consumption unless we talk about standartized test script for testing battery consumption. There are various reasons for variance:

1. If temperature is ~10C (=50F), it will increases battery consumption from summer ~20C(=68F) to about 1.5x. If temperature is ~2C(=35F) then consumption easily is 2-4x compared to summer. Colder than that, then I start to keep my batteries in my pocket instead of camera back as the battery consumption skyrockets below freezing temperatures.
  2. If I shoot lots of long exposures I seem to consume more batteries. This is not only for longer shutter speeds, but because setting up shots takes lots of longer time. Similar experience with infrared as well.
  3. If I use reflectors/flashes to adjust light of my close-up nature subjects battery consumption per image skyrockets because long setup time and taking test shots.
  4. Never A7 models seem to consume lots more battery, even I disable IBIS 99% of time due to shooting >99% from tripod. My A7 and A7r both seem to last 2x the time A7mkII lasts - this is in practical use, not any camera review site standartized and automated test.

I just was 2 weeks shooting in Finland's Lapland (the northern part of country), for landscapes, forestscapes, lakescapes, riverscapes and detailed old forest "tree pictures" and other close-ups. Depending on hike I had either 3 or 4 cameras with me, depending on how much food and water I have to fit into backbag as well. On worst day two cameras ran out of battery, and I had to use replacement spare battery on those cameras. I would estimate if I would just use one battery (move it from camera to other) I would have consumed 4 or 5 batteries on that day. I use infrared remote (=prevents camera to go to sleep mode) it happened to me on few days that I forgot camera "on" in the bag and as a result I had empty battery after I hike little more and took camera again into use.

So I usually have 4-7 batteries (I have 4x Sony, 3x eBay cheap copies) in my camera bag when I leave for hike. Back in 2013 when I usually shot with two Canon 5DmkII (I shoot 100% of time using live view), I had battery in each camera and one spare battery - for very long hikes two spares. So for me there was difference on how batteries last Canon vs Sony. But in either camera I needed extra batteries with me, it's just question how many.

chez wrote:

The number of shots discussed here I find ridiculous. During my 14 day holiday I shot on 11 days and as end results I have 1975 images, that averages 179 images/day and on most days I was shooting 8+ hours as it was holiday. I shot lots of HDR and I had few "new" lenses, so I also shot some subjects with different apertures to learn the rendering style and aperture behaviour of the new lenses. Breakdown day by day, and last line total:

Samuli

Sep 20, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Duckysaysquack
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Why did you choose Sony?

I started with the NEX-5N>NEX-5R>A6000>A7ii>A7rii>A7sii. I've owned the A7, A7s, and A7r mostly as buy-used then try for a short term and sold cameras.

I've given Sony quite a bit of money over the years lol. I initially chose Sony because of the size, the NEX-5 series were significantly smaller than any other DSLRs in the market and came with features that no other DSLRs had at the time. I used Canons before and they always felt super clunky, slow, and shooting with EVF was SOOOO much easier than optical viewfinder and light meter. The A6000 was a great camera and in my opinion the first camera that showed off what Sony mirrorless could do. It was super compact and powerful and the features and IQ were so much better than comparable cameras from Canon and Nikon at the time.

Then came the A7, A7r, and A7s. They were good but honestly the A7r was the worst one out of the lot. The A7 was small and cheapest FF option available. The A7s was a beast at low light. Each one had shortcomings but made up for it in their strengths. The A7r was however had terrible AF, slow, and had the worst shutter I've ever used in a camera. It felt like a sliding barn door closing with quake force. When I got the A7r I was amazed it was so much worse than the other two A7 cameras. IMHO the 36MP was not worth the camera's other flaws. The AF was so bad that it was only useful for landscapes and indoor studio if your model stood very, very still. I was going to swear off Sony cameras after that until the A7ii came out. The AF paired with the IBIS was amazing. I was so happy with it that I upgraded to the A7rii as soon as it became available. It's what I'm using to this day and I am still super happy with it. It's the perfect mix of size, speed, and IQ. The only qualms I have with it are lack of dual cards, slow processing, and battery - all of which are addressed with the A9.

TLDR, consider skipping the A7r and going to an A7ii/A7rii.

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:14 PM
xnosliw

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Why did you choose Sony?

compact size of a6000 and ease of using it made me go for sony! no regrets but waiting to upgrade to a7iii or 6500

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:39 AM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Why did you choose Sony?

I don't think I'm saying anything new here, but I was tired of constantly chasing focus issues on my 5D2. I still hope for much higher res EVF's in the future, but I can make do with the 2.36M EVF for now. Even with hours spent focus adjusting, there would still be scenarios where it just didn't nail focus. Being able to accurately manual focus in any lighting condition is a godsend. Live view just didn't work in full sun. It was heartbreaking to get the images on a computer screen and see I'd missed focus by a hair, but enough of a hair to notice on a high res screen. All the other stuff you can do with an EVF is pretty sweet too, zebras etc. Also, DR. Canon sensor used to really suck, now they only kinda suck. Merging exposure is fairly painless now as software has advanced, but it used to be a hassle for me. Saving weight is nice too. I just wish quality native glass were about 1/3 cheaper. Ah well.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:43 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Why did you choose Sony?

Started with Minolta slrs, the passed through a Fuji S602 on the way to a KM 7D. Needed to step up the performance with kids in soccer, etc. Went to the D200. Finally moved to a D7200. Found the Nikon dslrs and moderate three lens kit (wide zoom, mid-range and 70-300 was beastly to carry on day long walks on vacations and the wife refused to do so on a planned trip to Italy. Well, actually, she saw that the the bulk of the kit was somewhat problematic in packing on planes and dealing with lockers, etc., at some museums, etc. , and was amenable to considering alternatives. We'd gotten my daughter an RX100 for her study year abroad and I'd used it some to see if it suited my interests/needs, etc. Close but I really wanted/needed a viewfinder as opposed to a rear lcd finder. At the time, the NEX-6 seemed to fit me and a reasonable budget. Still have both kits.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:57 AM
balga

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Why did you choose Sony?

I chose the A7s short after the a7ii was released.
Didn't get an a7r and went for a low mpx body because the size I print and the quantity of shots of my kids I take does not justify an investment in hard drives.
Also shooting kids involves high speeds, often in low light.
Didn't get an a7ii not sure why, as now I would have something better for tracking in af-c, but there's something in the colours of those low res files that I cannot even explain after having shot a loaner a7rii.
A shame that they didn't put pdaf in the a7sii as I would have upgraded in a heartbeat .

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:54 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Why did you choose Sony?

Object oriented AF/AE firmware and multi-level hardware supported by FE mount have transformed the way how the camera and the lens works. If this E mount is not your baseline then you have been missing a lot of good stuffs recently from the freedom of choices. Beside the hot sensor, these are my main reasons why I shoot sony bodies. I don't like to constraint myself from the best lenses and their decent prize offers out there. Imo, why wait for the pie from any manufacture when i can custom myself a nice tool set that fits my needs. Just like I have predicted, all my canon L primes now natively working with sony AE/AF system that reported by A9 firmware thread.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:32 PM
joelRichards
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Why did you choose Sony?

Originally (NEX-3) because it was small and I was tired of carrying around a DSLR. Then I went full frame because of the compatibility with vintage lenses. Now, with an A9, it is about flexibility and IQ. The camera is (almost) never what holds me back now.

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:02 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password