New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Why did you choose Sony?

pasblues
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why did you choose Sony?

I have been curious why people have chosen Sony mirrorless.

Why did you choose the a7r vs. a7s?

Are you mostly interested in MP size resolution or functions or the availability of certain lenses?

I am trying to justify keeping an a7r. There are things I like about Sony - but speed is not one of them right now. I'm waiting for the arrival of a 55mm f1.8 lens to tell me that the captures are worth it.

What image processing software do you think gives you the most out of your Sony images?

Thank you,

Peggy

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Olaf G
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why did you choose Sony?

I've chosen the Sony system because I can adapt a lot of vintage lenses to it. So far I have no native lens for my Sony A7.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:50 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why did you choose Sony?

Yup, wouldn't give it up because there are no other full frame mirrorless cameras that I can afford and allow the lenses to shoot at their intended focal length. I do have some native lenses but they're used less and less. I have an A7II. 24MP is plenty. Tried an A7RII, but was too slow writing those large files. Hope the A7III delivers speed increases in AF and operation and I'm in.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:53 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why did you choose Sony?

Lots of reasons - EVF for precise manual focus (too clunky using Live View and Zacuto loupe); ability to use almost every lens ever made; full frame rather than APS like other mirrorless brands (a must for my wide lenses in particular); great image/sensor quality; image stabilization for every lens (for those rare times that I shoot handheld); compact size.

I can't see ever going back to an OVF. I have an A7RII because I need high resolution; I don't really care about low-light shooting, so an A7S wasn't interesting to me.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:57 PM
drjs
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why did you choose Sony?

I chose SONY A7 back in 2014 because I wanted a full frame digital body with EVF to shoot my collection of old manual focus lenses. As my collection of AF SONY FE lenses grew, I slowly sold off all of my Canon and Olympus gear. Now I am 100% SONY with 1 full frame and 1 crop sensor cameras.

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:29 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why did you choose Sony?

Lots of reasons for me too. I wanted more resolution than my Canon 5D3, more dynamic range, a high quality EVF, and the ability to adapt Canon lenses. The A7R2 fit the bill. I considered the A7R, but the shutter shock problem was a deterrent. The A7S didn't fit my need for high resolution. I will never go back to Canon, if for no other reason, its dynamic range woes and the flexibility of the A7R2 RAWs.

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:36 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why did you choose Sony?

It's funny - I often forget how new so many of you are to Sony! I've been with Sony since the A7 was just an outlandish rumor.

I originally chose a Sony NEX-5R because it was the cheapest way to get an digital back for manual lenses with a flip screen and focus peaking. At the time, I really had my heart set on focus peaking, thought I don't use it today. I wanted to get higher IQ as cheap and small as possible. This is why I went with mirrorless over a DSLR. And in the end, it worked out really well for me - I had a camera that I could stick in my back pocket and had the pocket free for a second lens.

If the Olympus or Panasonic bodies at the time had focus peaking, I may have ended up with MFT. I think maybe the E-M5 had focus peaking at the time, but this was my first ILC and I was trying to save money. I was mostly looking at the E-PM2, E-PL5, and GX1.

I wasn't interested much in Fuji at the time, which seemed way overpriced and was inferior for manual focus lenses. And no tilt screen, which was disappointing. AF was quite a bit slower than the NEX-5R and NEX-6, too. If I was willing to spend Fuji money and wanted AF lenses, I may have gone with the X-E1 despite the flaws - decent lenses and a cool looking camera, for sure. If my experience with the X100S EVF and live view implementation is anything to go by, I'm really glad I went with the NEX-5R over the X-E1. I think I would have written off MF and I don't think I would have been a lot less successful with MF lenses than I was with the NEX. Also would have been a bummer not to fit it in my pocket, something I loved about my NEX-5R and constantly miss with my A7.

My runner up at the time was Samsung. IMHO, they still have one of the best camera UIs around, definitely better than anything Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus had at the time, maybe still. I leaned toward Sony because Samsung couldn't take RF lenses, due to the longer flange distances, and lower IQ especially in low light. The latter may have mostly been due to the JPEG engine, I don't remember any more.

I upgraded to the A7 in late 2014. I've stuck with Sony because they're the only game in town for a reasonably priced full frame mirrorless camera. Brand loyalty is the silliest thing I can imagine, and I'd be more than willing to jump ship to just about anything with the right combination of specs, size, and price point.

I think my opinion of Fuji still holds true today - if I was mostly interested in shooting AF glass I think it'd be a very logical choice, especially with the newer f/2 primes.

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Slalom
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why did you choose Sony?

The A7 was a lot lighter than the 5DII, tested focus peaking with a nex first. And it helped with my manual Glass. Now also have an A7II.

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:35 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why did you choose Sony?

Smaller, lighter and better image quality compared to my DSLR outfit. What's not to like?

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:56 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why did you choose Sony?

Switched from Olympus MFT to an a7r. Since then, I've owned every model except the original a7 and the a9. Currently have all the Mark II models. I've liked EVFs since I saw my first attached to an Olympus E-P2. I use a mix of Sony native and Minolta legacy lenses. Love silent shutter, focus peaking, custom button placement. Sony just works for me.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why did you choose Sony?

chez wrote:
Smaller, lighter and better image quality compared to my DSLR outfit. What's not to like?

+1, plus EVF, universal mount, great DR, better video and higher precision in MF/AF/AE. Beside the sensor, Sony has the most advance camera technology to date.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:09 AM
kaioyang
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why did you choose Sony?

1. I used to shoot Nikon D800E. The 36M pixel photo is my baseline.
2. I don't like carrying bulky 10kg+ backpacks.
3. Sony A7 series with legacy lenses allowed me to reduce backpack weight substantially while maintaining pixel size.
4. Happy shooting.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:21 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why did you choose Sony?

I got sick of Nikon.lol

Actually that's not far off the mark. I've been through every system and I like how mirrorless works. But I have to many reasons to be with Sony to list but there all good

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:34 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why did you choose Sony?

As many others have said... a number of reasons...
- Smaller body and many smaller lens options
- FE 55
- EVF and WYSIWYG exposure
- No more MFA
- AF coverage across the frame
- IBIS
- Zeiss glass like Batis, Loxia and Sony-Zeiss
- Amazing high MP sensor with great DR

Since switching things like Apps and wifi transfers are appreciated. As well as DRO on JPEGs, focus peaking and MF magnification, multi-frame stacking in camera to reduce high-ISO noise, and the possibility of using interesting legacy glass.

It's really sad how DSLRs are just stuck in a rut.

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:05 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why did you choose Sony?

The ability to adapt just about anything to a reasonably large sensor was the primary reason for me. Then the BSI sensor, EVF, and IBIS, or, more specifically, the fact that I can program the focal length and still use IBIS, in that order.

I've owned the a7, a7r, a7II, and now the a7rII. The a7r was an outlier. I bought it for a specific project and in the hopes that I could work around the shutter shock and use it as a digital back on a view camera, but my hopes were dashed quickly. Otherwise, it's been a straight-line progression of goodness for me.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:16 AM
thenoilif

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why did you choose Sony?

1st it was the mirrorless A6000 line. Small, powerful, very tech-driven and great video.
I wasn't committed to the brand at first, even considered switching to Fuji but once I started investing in the FE lenses I was hooked. They are stunning. I then upgraded to the A7rii and a6500, filled out my lens collection and now my image producing capabilities are more or less complete.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:22 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why did you choose Sony?

pasblues wrote:
I have been curious why people have chosen Sony mirrorless.

Why did you choose the a7r vs. a7s?

Are you mostly interested in MP size resolution or functions or the availability of certain lenses?

I am trying to justify keeping an a7r. There are things I like about Sony - but speed is not one of them right now. I'm waiting for the arrival of a 55mm f1.8 lens to tell me that the captures are worth it.

What image processing software do you think gives you the most out of your Sony images?

Thank you,

Peggy

I don't think anyone has answered your last question, so let me start... I think the answer to that question is whatever processing software you're most familiar with... it's not the processing software that will get the most out of your Sony images, it's you and how well you can work it.

Personally, when I started shooting RAW, I was already an Apple guy and so used Apple's Aperture until it was EOL and then I switched to Capture One Pro because it's workflow and tools were more aligned with Aperture than LR was. I could just not get use to the LR way of doing things, and I really prefer the catalog metaphor rather than having to deal with the file system. I think both tools are going to be just as good in capable hands. If you're starting from scratch and need to learn one or the other, then the benefits of LR are that there's a huge community to draw from. The benefits of Capture One are the customizable user interface and the fact that for Sony owners it's a relative bargain as you can get the full version at a heavy discount thanks to a relationship Sony has with Phase One.

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:28 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why did you choose Sony?

in 2014 the sony a7 did terrible in America so Sony sold them at half off if you knew a sony employer. I bought a a7r with a 35mm and 55mm all half off. Wasn't expecting it to be anything crazy until I took a few shots. photos shat all over my trusty 5d mark ii with 85mm f1.2 ii glued on. Also my first introduction into Zeiss glass which is a virus to my wallet.

I remember when there wasn't a sony thread in this forum lol it was just the alternative forum =D now the sony forum is the most populated one.

yeah advantages back then in 2014 were huge.

Light weight
zeiss autofocus lenses
evf
wifi
in camera apps
amazing low light
focus peaking

and like everyone else said adaptability. I've spend thousands of dollars on vintage lenses because of this camera haha

Sep 09, 2017 at 06:42 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why did you choose Sony?

... but my heart still beats for Nikon.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:08 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why did you choose Sony?

Dynamic range. Went from having to combine exposures on 80% or so images to < 10% when I got my 1st Sony Nex 5N, and wanting high MP for large prints drove me to the A7R then A7R2. Not sure what I would have done though if other lenses had not been adaptable as I don't use any Sony native lenses and only one each Batis and Loxia with a native mount.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password