New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

WhoopDeDo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

I'm trying to find the brand that Joey L uses in this image

More images from the series are here.

If you know of other brands that have similar subtle transitions, I'd love to hear about them. I'm trying to avoid the elementary school portrait-style of high-contrast muslins.

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:43 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Joey regularly uses Oliphant backdrops. Expect to pay about $1,000.
Here's an interview with the backdrop painted Peter Hurley recently did.

Sep 08, 2017 at 07:20 PM
kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

There are many cheap muslin background brands. The problem with cheap muslin backdrops is that they look (photograph) exactly like cheap muslin backdrops. Invest in high quality, tasteful muslin backdrops and they will pay for themselves many times over.

Another good source other than Oliphant, are hand-painted backdrops from David Maheu. See, www.backgroundsbymaheu.com The Kelly Classics may be similar to what you are looking for.

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

g-money
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Gravity Backdrops! http://www.gravitybackdrops.com/ You can also find them on instagram to get a price list.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:27 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

WhoopDeDo wrote:
I'm trying to find the brand that Joey L uses in this image

More images from the series are here.

If you know of other brands that have similar subtle transitions, I'd love to hear about them. I'm trying to avoid the elementary school portrait-style of high-contrast muslins.

Yeah gravity backdrops is probably your best bet in terms of something that's not super expensive.

Either that or find a friend that knows how to paint, and show them a few examples for them to emulate. Considering the price of materials can easily exceed $150-200 for the fabric, gesso, paints, various brushes, etc and you still might not end up with a backdrop that you like 100%, the 300 bucks or so that the gravity backdrops run is pretty reasonable.

The other part of it of course is people that have experience making backdrops know how to make one that will wear well over time with repeated use. My painted canvas backdrop was made locally about 10 years ago by a respected backdrop company that is no longer in business, and it was about $1200 new (it's a 10x16 though so quite large) and it still looks amazing.

I'd ponder and compare your options long and hard, because a good quality painted canvas backdrop is as much of an investment as a new lens. A well made one will last years of heavy use, and can take your portraits to another level. I know there's some who prefer to just composite in a painted canvas, but I feel like it's always pretty obvious when that is done. There's no replacing the real thing.

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:40 AM
takomaru

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help identifying/finding a background muslin

Guys, thank you so much for posting this thread and the info of your responses. I started looking for large muslins and hand painted canvas for my new studio, and made the mistake of ordering some local Asian ones; that's just what I got, some cheap looking useless backdrops. It is very worth spending the money here as results could be disatrous and hate buying the similar item twice, plus not that cheap at all, a good canvas is hard to find and harder to replace, regards, takomaru

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:30 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password