FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

My first try...sort of

Smousefam5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first try...sort of

My oldest son is getting married in December and at their request I will be shooting the "getting ready" and reception pictures. Their finances were limited but still wanted the most important photos of them together and family to be done by a pro. Since what was most important to them will be professionally done, they have assured me there will be no pressure or stress over what I have been asked to do. In essence, anything I get that is acceptable is literally frosting on the cake.

I have been pouring over the Wedding Forum and reading/looking at all I can find on the web but anything ya'll might share will be greatly appreciated!

I will primarily be shooting a D600 with a Nikon 28-70 2.8 af-s and a Nikon 80-200 af-d (two ring). I will have my D7000 as a back up and all the Nikon af-d primes from 20 through 85 in tow as well. If needed I have an SB500, with both MagSphere and MagBounce attachments (which I have been using to familiarize myself).

After reading this it seems more like a prayer request than a forum post!

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:19 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first try...sort of

Equipment seems fine, but as a father myself, I would encourage you to see if you can chip in a bit for their expenses so you can spend the day enjoying the time with them instead of running around. Photographing festivities can be more difficult and stressful than it appears and (hopefully) your son only gets married once.

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:32 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first try...sort of

I have to agree with Steve. Be a Dad on the day, not a photographer. I am set to shoot for my niece in a few years time and I'm torn enough with that. As a Dad, I'd be in no doubt...

Sep 08, 2017 at 11:12 PM
Smousefam5
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first try...sort of

Unfortunately just getting to the lower 48 from Alaska and hosting the rehearsal dinner is a stretch as it is. We did discuss this with them and I will most definitely not miss out on fun. Primarily I will shoot the traditional first dance and father/daughter, mother/son dance as well cutting of the cake. I am performing the ceremony which puts me in very personal place as well.

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:44 AM
shackleton12

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first try...sort of

I refuse to photograph any aspect of weddings of close family and friends. Not to say that you shouldn't it's just for me, shooting weddings full time, means that I never actually get to go to a wedding, otherwise.
Your kit list looks ok. My advice would be, seeing as it's your son, to enjoy the experience as much as possible. You have a unique connection with the groom and simply having fun will really show in your pictures. As long as you are competent enough to take reasonably good pictures, go for it.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:06 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My first try...sort of

As usual, I'll go against the grain.....

First of all, forget about the Fking gear!
It's fine and If I had to shoot a wedding with a Rebel and a 28-135, it wouldn't be the first damn time! Nor would the people I shot the pics for have a clue or even be looking at technicalities Shooters want to get up themselves about.

As for having fun and enjoying yourself, I think you won't be able to help that.
I myself don't understand the mindset that you can't have fun because you are taking pictures. In any case, I think that's missing the big picture.

I have shot close friends and family's weddings and yes, while it was work, didn't mean I was ostracized from any enjoyment of the day. I can honestly say that I felt a bit more connected to them if anything.
As a Guest only, I wouldn't be at My nices home and sharing that part of the day with her. I wouldn't have got to kick everyone out the room when I saw they were overwhelming her and sit down and have a chat and calm her down. Something she recently told me was something that stuck in her mind as one of the most touching things of the day. That's something we'll always have I wouldn't if someone else was doing the pics. There was also a lot I did for her because I knew her and no other hired help would have had a clue about.

I think this opportunity is the same for you and your son. It's what you damn well make it. If you want to get all self important and carry on like many do that it's a live or die event to get perfect pictures of every goddam moment, then that's what you'll get out of it. A set of perfect pictures that probably miss out on a lot of what they could have been as far as feeling, emotion and connection.

If you look at it as something special you can do for your boy to help him out and make the most of the occasion, then I'm sure it will be an opportunity to create moments you'll both look back on and treasure forever.
I'd give my own life happily to be there doing that for my boy I can tell you that and nothing short of dying will stop me taking pics at my daughters wedding.
I would NOT enjoy myself if I didn't and I sure as shit would not miss out on the moments doing that for her will bring.
You have the best of both worlds. The opportunity to share with them what they could not have got otherwise and the security that if you stuff up completely, there is a safe guard. With that in mind, relax and make this about something beyond the pictures. Look at it as a way to share the occasion with your son that few other fathers would have the opportunity to.

At the risk of insulting the one track highroad forum technical obsessed, this is not something that has to take away from your day, being you and your son, it's a great opportunity to make it more special.
It's all about how you approach it. I'm sure that you'll get pictures that no one else could because only you, his Dad, will have an insight to things you may have shared or just because he's your boy and how well you know him.
You WILL get great pics, not because of some bullshit technical forum mentality crap people go on with on place's like this, but because you love him and in years to come, when you are no longer here, he'll look back on those pics and they will be 1000 times better just because YOU took them. He'll remember the moment and those pictures will be more treasured by him than if the most renowned shooter in the world took them.

Again, forget the gear, forget the forum technical bullshit, take your pictures from the heart and with love and forget the rest. the fact you are even putting yourself out to do this for him probably means the world to him and I'll guarantee you, he won't give a shit about all the photographer crap, they will be fantastic pictures he'll never forget because his Dad did them for him.

That's all you have to keep in mind.

Hope you, your son and your families have a great day.
I know you will.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:32 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My first try...sort of

Well, I'll have to agree with Glort. The less you fiddle with gear, the more intimate the photos will be.

Keep it simple. Take your 28-70, a 35mm if you have one and your 85mm. Take a flash. If you can bounce, all well and good but if the room isn't right, just shoot direct if flash if needed.

How are you getting to the lower 48? If you're flying this may have an effect on the size of the kit you bring.

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My first try...sort of

glort wrote:
As usual, I'll go against the grain.....

First of all, forget about the Fking gear!
It's fine and If I had to shoot a wedding with a Rebel and a 28-135, it wouldn't be the first damn time! Nor would the people I shot the pics for have a clue or even be looking at technicalities Shooters want to get up themselves about.

As for having fun and enjoying yourself, I think you won't be able to help that.
I myself don't understand the mindset that you can't have fun because you are taking pictures. In any case, I think that's missing
...Show more

I agree with gort on the gear stuff.... I have to disagree on the family shooting vs the pro.

What is funny about a wedding is you never know when that emotional bug will come up and grab you as a father, brother, etc.
I have seen strong men lose it when they see there daughter in the wedding dress for the first time.... or when at the toast... memories come rushing back and daughter and dad are having a very cool moment.

It is these moments that most family members who try and shoot a wedding will miss because they are in the moment.
They are watching ... not documenting let alone in a creative manner.
The pro will work through this because there are not emotional attached.

I completely get the financial pinch of a wedding....

To the OP ... have fun.

-Mark

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:26 PM
Smousefam5
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My first try...sort of

Good reminder on Gear for sure. I'll keep it simple.

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:15 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My first try...sort of

I just shot my brother's wedding earlier this year, so I sort of understand where you're coming from.

For the getting ready shots, drop everything but the D600 and 28-70. Maybe a 24 prime. These are usually tighter quarters, and you'll want to be able to move easily through people. Having a bunch of gear hanging around you prohibits that, and I'd put 1000:1 odds that you won't need your 80-200.

If you can avoid shooting the reception, that would be ideal, but totally understand budgetary concerns. A lot of younger couples in our church are only paying $450-500 for photos... Thankfully, there's three of us who are all decent, and offer our services with a full package. I think the only caution is to make sure you take a few moments to pause and enjoy the wedding as well.

Sep 10, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Pibblepictures

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My first try...sort of

+1 on glort's comments....all in how you approach it. KISS theory should rule the day. Breathe, and remember that you are the icing. It's more important that you see a special moment than get the shot of the moment. Parents relive the memories of their kids' weddings nearly every day. No one really looks at wedding albums. Don't miss the memory to add to the album! Best wishes to the bride and groom!

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:17 AM
wedding_dude

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My first try...sort of

Keep in mind: if you're the photographer, you won't show up on the pictures orf your sons wedding!

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:06 AM
Smousefam5
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My first try...sort of

wedding_dude wrote:
Keep in mind: if you're the photographer, you won't show up on the pictures orf your sons wedding!

What I would be shooting I wouldn't be in anyway.

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:22 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My first try...sort of

wedding_dude wrote:

OTOH, being that he will be performing the ceremony, He'll also be in a lot of pictures most fathers would not given there will be another shooter there.

Seems like the best of all worlds to me.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:25 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password