Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

Desmolicious
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

Curious to see how good it is. You don't need the new ES-2 slide copier, any way of photographing the film would work (ES-1 slide copier, copy stand + light pad etc)

Thanks!

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:16 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

While I am waiting...

The flip out LCD screen on the D850 is crucial for my copy stand work, as I have the copy stand on a table and the camera at eye-level. This works fine with my D750 (flip screen) but cannot work with the D810 (no flip).
So not only does the 850 bring more MPs, and the film inversion feature, but also a flippy screen.

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:18 PM
D5100 Dude
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

Flippy tilty or flippy tilty outie screeen?

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:38 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

I have ES-1 since D200 era (it was designed for film and need to add extension tubes between the ES-1 and the macro lens for use on DX bodies), so using DSLR to digitize slide is not something new. I have tried to use that with negative as well but it wasn't convenient.

The only thing new is that the AWB take care of the orange cast, and add a invert color function for negative films. I think I'd rather use PS to do that (shoot RAW for better DR) but having a well processed preview (instead of a weird negative as preview) would still help.

You can put the copy stand on the floor,
or climb a ladder to use a DSLR without flip screen.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:42 AM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

ytwong wrote:
I have ES-1 since D200 era (it was designed for film and need to add extension tubes between the ES-1 and the macro lens for use on DX bodies), so using DSLR to digitize slide is not something new. I have tried to use that with negative as well but it wasn't convenient.

I use the ES-1 right now and find it so convenient I do all my own scanning, including colour negative film. You can see my results in the MF Nikon thread.

ytwong wrote:
only thing new is that the AWB take care of the orange cast, and add a invert color function for negative films. I think I'd rather use PS to do that (shoot RAW for better DR) but having a well processed preview (instead of a weird negative as preview) would still help.

How do you know that's all it is? If that's the case, then it would be a disappointment...

ytwong wrote:
can put the copy stand on the floor,
or climb a ladder to use a DSLR without flip screen.

a/ I have cats. Lots and lots of cats.
2/ I am scared of ladders. As I don't trust my cats..

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:09 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

My cat's favorite place is on top of the kitchen cabinets. At first I would get a step ladder and get her down. Then I realized I was endangering my health by getting her down. She gets up and down fine. I trust her. I did put lattice on the balcony to keep her from flying away chasing some bug.

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:49 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

How do you know that's all it is? If that's the case, then it would be a disappointment...
Ok, I should add that that was only my guess.... based on what I've tried before, using DSLRs without the film copy mode.

If that film copy mode offers more then that would be pleasant surprise, right?

I've consider getting a copy stand too, but haven't seen a good one yet (and I don't want a very bulky one, land is expensive here!).

Working distance of 60mm-ish macro @ 1:1 is quite short. You don't need a ladder, so don't worry about the cats

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:20 AM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

ytwong wrote:
You don't need a ladder, so don't worry about the cats

Says the man with a cat for his avatar.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

I've been experimenting with placing a lightbox on the wall, and close focus with Micro 105mm f2.8, camera on tripod. So far I've only tried a few 4x5 b&w negs, no color. Not sure how to deal with the orange mask if not using scanner software. Anyway, don't need a copy stand.

Kent in SD

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:51 AM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

Two23 wrote:
I've been experimenting with placing a lightbox on the wall, and close focus with Micro 105mm f2.8, camera on tripod. So far I've only tried a few 4x5 b&w negs, no color. Not sure how to deal with the orange mask if not using scanner software. Anyway, don't need a copy stand.

Kent in SD

The copy stand makes it super easy for film bigger than 35mm. I use the 60mm Micro Nikkor lens, and after fine tuning the correct distance of the camera to the film (which is in a film holder from an enlarger to hold it flat) on the light pad, I mark that distance off on the copy stand neck. So for next time I don't need to fiddle around, just set it at the markings. I have it set for 6x6/6x9 and 6x4.5

Super easy dealing with the orange mask, just use the WB eye dropper in post and create a profile per film type. There are lots of tutorials online.

I use this copy stand and it works great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copy-Macro-Stand-23-inch-High-14x16-base-Quick-Release-Mount-and-Bubble-Level-/131152161541?hash=item1e89472b05:g:7gsAAOSw54xUWpIZ

Anyway, the cool thing about Nikon's new copy gear is the ES-2 that allows a film strip to be fed (the ES-1 that I use is single only, but it still works fine), and whatever the software they bring for the colour negative film conversion. I'm hoping it has some secret sauce, not just a simple AWB and invert that I can do myself.
46mp also is pretty sweet. Right now I'm playing with 24mp w/ my D750 and that has yielded some really nice results
An image length of 8300 pixels vs 6000 w/ my D750 will help as you always lose some when lining everything up.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:47 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

Where exactly are your results in the MF Nikon thread? Would you please post here, the link to those results, so that I can see them?

Thank you.

Desmolicious wrote:
I use the ES-1 right now and find it so convenient I do all my own scanning, including colour negative film. You can see my results in the MF Nikon thread.

a/ I have cats. Lots and lots of cats.
2/ I am scared of ladders. As I don't trust my cats..

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

Here are a few, all scanned with my D750. Films are a selection of Fuji C200, 160, Portra 400 and Ektachrome E100.
I used the D750 w/ Micor Nikkor 60mm 2.8 + ES-1 slide copier, lit with a SB500 in slave mode (triggered with my pop up flash on the D750). The flash exposure was all automatic. All I did was set camera ISO to 100, f 11, auto.
Converted in LR with profiles I created using the WB dropper to get rid of the orange base, then invert, then balance etc. (from tutorials online)

What is interesting about the D850 is not really the ES-2 (even though that will be cool) but how it does the inversion.

GonzaloS-1 by desmolicious, on Flickr

Chevy10S-1 by desmolicious, on Flickr

CaddyM3DS-33 by desmolicious, on Flickr

ZeeSnowyS-1 by desmolicious, on Flickr

Shotgun! by desmolicious, on Flickr

VeniceMoonriseS-1 by desmolicious, on Flickr

GonzaloTileS-4 by desmolicious, on Flickr

E100gxS-2 by desmolicious, on Flickr

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

with this new setup one does not need a copy stand. Nice.
And when I've needed a copy stand I use one of my darkroom enlargers. Works ok on prints, but it'd be a pita on negatives, mostly due to film not being flat without a glass carrier, and those are a pita for cleaning off dust.

So I'm really interested in this and hope it saves the day while being disappointed that it doesn't seem able to do 645 or 6x7 and I'll have to keep scanning or printing those.

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

Pavel wrote:
with this new setup one does not need a copy stand. Nice.
And when I've needed a copy stand I use one of my darkroom enlargers. Works ok on prints, but it'd be a pita on negatives, mostly due to film not being flat without a glass carrier, and those are a pita for cleaning off dust.

So I'm really interested in this and hope it saves the day while being disappointed that it doesn't seem able to do 645 or 6x7 and I'll have to keep scanning or printing those.

You don't need a copy stand with the old ES-1 slide copier from Nikon. All the new one brings to the table is a 62mm thread vs 52mm, and the ability to take a film strip holder.I use the ES-1 with my 60mm Micro Nikkor.
The copy stand is for 'scanning' bigger film.

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:30 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone tried the film copying mode on the 850 yet?

I mostly scan 4x5, and sometimes 5x7 sheet film. I've been experimenting with taking three to six overlapping shots with 105mm Micro, and stitching. The copy stand linked above would make that more repeatable if it allows for calibrated movement side to side, sort of like a shift lens.

Kent in SD

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password