New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

I'm looking to use my 5d MK III for doing some video work (guitar instructional video) and since I'll be the photographer and the subject, I need a way to set focus, start and stop recording, etc.

I've tried qdslr which works but is klunky and somewhat unreliable. I know cam ranger works but it may be overkill for what I'm doing. Tether tools case air has a 53% 1 star rating on amazon.

Anything else out there?

Sep 08, 2017 at 01:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

The RC-6?

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:31 PM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

I use DSLR Controller a lot for video with a couple of 5D Mark II's (has Magic Lantern as well), a couple of 5D Mark IV's and a 5DS-R.

As with professional audio the byword to know is "if you're able use a cable" for ease and reliability. I use up to three android smartphones which are all Samsung Galaxy S3's and work fine with cable and via wifi if set up. The S3's are 5 years old and dirt cheap but are fully usable. I bought two via an Amazon supplier.

You would use a USB cable as with what was probably supplied with your 5D Mark III. You also need whats called an "on the go" USB cable to enable you to connect the main USB cable to the smartphone:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N9S9Z0G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To make life easier also use a sturdy smartphone clamp such as the Zacro:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M3YK3YK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can glue plastic cable clips to the clamp to ensure the cable will not come loose.

The Zacro can be attached to the hotshoe on the camera using a small ball head or put it on any nearby lightstand etc. Its rather like having a camera's tilty screen like a 6D Mark II but more usable.

DSLR Controller enables you to start and stop stills and video plus access a wide variety of functions such as changing ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc.

You can also use it to magnify the smartphone screen 5x and 10x, and you can use it to focus accurately.

With the 5D Mark II you need to have the liveview on as well as the smartphone screen running otherwise it will stop after 4gb / 12 mins. If both views are on it will run for the usual 29min59sec, or indefinitely if using Magic Lantern. I don't know if that is also the case with the Mark III and I haven't tested it with my Mark IV's or 5DS-R n.b. I need the indefinite run time with two cams when using them as inaccessible B-cams for wedding videos.

Pete

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:51 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

Thanks, i've done that in the past but at this point the usb port on both my mk II and mk III are so loose now that doing tethered connections is extremely flakey on both of them so that solution won't work for me.

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

Unfortunately, the 5d does not autofocus during video recording so I need the remote to be able to allow me to selectively focus....

Paul Mo wrote:
The RC-6?

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:26 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

Plus, I need to be able to see the image for cropping remotely. Since the 5d does not have an articulated screen, the remote with a mobile device is the best option.

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:28 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

If you cannot use your USB, and want control over focus, you have no options left with 5d3. It might better to pick up a $550 SL2 and make it your video camera. Flip screen, PDAF, and built in wifi for the Canon app. Plus you then have a nice travel friendly backup camera.

I converted an mr3040 router into a wireless controller with the dslrcontroller app when I had the 5d3, it is basically a Camranger, but for $50. I probably should sell it for $30 since I no longer use it having wifi control on my 5d4, 7d2, and SL2.

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:46 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · wireless tethering for 5d MK III?

i picked up a panasonic G7 for video. Problem solved.

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password