FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

How much do you shoot?

BKphotography
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How much do you shoot?

flash wrote:
Studio shooting. Commercial. I've got my commercial drone licence, so some arial work. I've got a 24" printer I'd like to use more. Probably going to end up semi-retired. I'm set up. Don't need to work myself to death.

Gordon

That's good, mate. Pleased for you. Thought you were younger!

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:40 PM
flash
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How much do you shoot?

BKphotography wrote:
That's good, mate. Pleased for you. Thought you were younger!

Thanks. Turned 53 last month. Word is "if you haven't grown up before you're 50 then you don't have to." Want to have a bit of fun while I can. Now seems like a good time..

Then again in three months I'll be bored out of my brain and start working hard again........

Gordon

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:08 AM
StevenMI
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How much do you shoot?

I shoot 20 weddings and 20ish engagement sessions a year. That's basically it and that's really all I want. I could probably book 4-5 more weddings but I usually start getting really selective (off season stuff i'll take) after about 17 or 18 booked. 20 is my magic number and i'm perfectly happy with that and really not interested in shooting any more. I do stay home with our 1 and 3 year old girls 2 days a week though so i'm not looking to book more and have to cut back that time with them.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How much do you shoot?

flash wrote:
Thanks. Turned 53 last month. Word is "if you haven't grown up before you're 50 then you don't have to." Want to have a bit of fun while I can. Now seems like a good time..

I agree.
I'm the same age as you and I have outlived several friends already whom have died through " natural" causes, mainly cancer. Don't even get me started on the people I have lost through accidents. Nearly lost a mate a couple of weeks ago. He is a tradie whom was at the time working in a Hospital on a job. Just finished and cleaned up, walking out and keeled over in the casualty ward.
Had he not been where he was, he'd be somewhere else not of this world now. He's not even 50 yet, does not drink a drop, eat sweets and is quite health conscious.
Fking scary!

Personal and repeated tragic experience in life has PROVEN you can't rely on anything, least of all your years beyond 50. The time to do what you want is today because presuming you have even next year seems to be an increasingly foolish presumption these days.
I don't worry about Dying, I lost the real will to live some time back but I am very scared of being sick or suffering an illness like cancer. I believe that's how I'll end up though as it does run in the family. For me thinking of normal retirement age does not seem realistic at all I'll get there.

Then again in three months I'll be bored out of my brain and start working hard again........

Hmmm, maybe, if you do things wrong.
If you do them right, you'll be having so much fun flying your drone and doing other things you'll wonder how you ever got time to work.

Been a few years since I went hard at it things work wise due to ill health and other situations but like you, I am comfortable and as long as I lead a sensible lifestyle and don't go pissing what I have up the wall on stupid indulgences, I don't need to really work and Neither does the mrs although for the time being she chooses to. ATM having just moved into a new place, I'm flat out every day doing things. I wanted to get the biz up and running again for something to do but even the Mrs admits I'm full time occupied here and will be for a good while to come yet.

I have learnt not to make plans very far ahead an if you ant to do something, today is the day!
Too many people plan on tomorrows they don't get to be around for.

Friend and I were only talking on the weekend about this being our "9th" summer. Not the 9th one we have had, the 9th last one we expect to be around for. Neither of us expect to get to old age and we are counting down the summers we have left.
Might be morbid, to us it is a reminder to make the most of what days we have, however many they may be.

If, like my father at 78, you want to keep working and enjoy it, do that regardless of age.
If you don't and don't have to, then give it away, regardless of your age.

Sep 11, 2017 at 01:07 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How much do you shoot?

StevenMI wrote:
I shoot 20 weddings and 20ish engagement sessions a year. That's basically it and that's really all I want. I could probably book 4-5 more weddings but I usually start getting really selective (off season stuff i'll take) after about 17 or 18 booked. 20 is my magic number and i'm perfectly happy with that and really not interested in shooting any more. I do stay home with our 1 and 3 year old girls 2 days a week though so i'm not looking to book more and have to cut back that time with them.

I'm very much in the same boat. I had been at home with my 3yo 2-3 days a week until she started preschool earlier this month, but I've got another 2.5mo at home with me 5 days a week. I had a month and a half this summer that I didn't book, so only 13 weddings for this year, with engagements for most of my wedding clients, some commercial stuff, other event work, and portrait stuff sprinkled in there. It is a delicate balance and right now 2018 is lighter still than this year. Previous years had been 20+ weddings, but you know, life is messy and kids take a lot of time. Oh yeah, we've been building a 700 sq ft addition onto our house this year as well. We will see if 2019 will ramp back up or if I will be bowing out of weddings.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:34 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How much do you shoot?

shooting 40 weddings this year that are mine.
I have 2nd shot 5-6 and have been an associate shooter 2 other times so far this year.
both were on the larger side - indian weddings.

7-8 e-ssesion/bridals this year.

Have family with 2 kids.

Edit for myself and a couple of other shooters through out the year.

-Mark

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password