New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Darn Yarn ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Darn Yarn ...

Weave not yet begun.

Canon EOS 6D Mark II    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/18.0    3s    50 ISO    -1.7 EV  

Sep 08, 2017 at 04:32 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Darn Yarn ...

Pretty nice Rusty! the only thing I would do is clone out the hair? coming out of the top yellow ball of yarn, the tan and olive ball directly under it, and the fibres dipping over from right to left in the brown, red, and rust ball of yarn at the left side of the basket. I really do like the muted colors, lighting, and atmosphere you have captured here. As an added prop, I might consider adding a needle or two in the mix.
Douglas

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Darn Yarn ...

douter wrote:
Pretty nice Rusty! the only thing I would do is clone out the hair? coming out of the top yellow ball of yarn, the tan and olive ball directly under it, and the fibres dipping over from right to left in the brown, red, and rust ball of yarn at the left side of the basket. I really do like the muted colors, lighting, and atmosphere you have captured here. As an added prop, I might consider adding a needle or two in the mix.
Douglas

Think Douglas pretty much covered it - very pleasant image.

Bob

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Darn Yarn ...

Subtle and expertly done.

Sep 08, 2017 at 08:03 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Darn Yarn ...

Or, perhaps post processed snappier?

Sep 08, 2017 at 10:38 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Darn Yarn ...

AuntiPode wrote:
Or, perhaps post processed snappier?

Snappier makes me happier, but of course to taste. Looks like someone will be getting a sweater or mittens this winter.

My grandmother was a talented knitter and crochetter. My mother who had no talent or interest inherited tablecloths from her that are beautiful needlepoint creations. For me they're works of art.

Nice job Kent, and thanks for sending me into the past.

Steve

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

thompsonkirk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Darn Yarn ...

My 2 cents is definitely no, not snappier. Original was fine in reconciling style and content, which is a matter of aesthetic judgment, not just of taste. What are the tones in the basket? Content is indeed 'grandmotherly' owner of this basket would not be knitting saturated, sharpened, or contrasty sweaters with logos on them or blown highlights, as in the revised version. Even if it's a young guy's basket, the original tones were more appropriate to the subject matter.

Please, Rusty, stick with what you're doing,

Kirk

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Darn Yarn ...

Thanks guys (& gal),

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I wanted to remove or leave the stray threads as part of the reality of the textile, or remove them ... and if so, which ones and how many / how small to remove the fuzzies, etc. So, in classic form, if undecided ... do nothing and wait for feedback.

As to the tonal values, I considered going more punchy, but with the worn basket and softer palette, I tried to keep a bit of harmony between the elements for this one. Kind of a fine line between wanting to pull out the texture and show the color well, and yet retain a certain harmony of mood / vibe.

Hmmm ... needles, I wonder where I can find some of those.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:41 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Darn Yarn ...

thompsonkirk wrote:
My 2 cents is definitely no, not snappier. Original was fine in reconciling style and content, which is a matter of aesthetic judgment, not just of taste. What are the tones in the basket? Content is indeed 'grandmotherly' owner of this basket would not be knitting saturated, sharpened, or contrasty sweaters with logos on them or blown highlights, as in the revised version. Even if it's a young guy's basket, the original tones were more appropriate to the subject matter.

Please, Rusty, stick with what you're doing,

Kirk

Aesthetic judgement is extremely subjective. If there's one thing that I've learned on Photo Critique, it's that it's "your photo, your message." Within boundaries, there is no right or wrong as we all see with different eyes. Some here might have processed this differently, in mono, or IR, or in over the top saturated color. Each version has a different vibe and a different message. This is something to treasure and encourage and have an open mind to.

Steve

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:43 PM
thompsonkirk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Darn Yarn ...

Steve, perhaps what you learned is in some measure incorrect? Aesthetic judgments differ and certainly have a subjective component, but they don't reduce to mere taste and subjectivity. If that were so, there'd be no reason for a section here called 'Photo Critique' it would all be just show-and-tell, with compliments, as in the other sections. If artwork is simple self-expression of 'your picture, your message,' then no reason for constructive criticism, art school, people who study and write about aesthetics and criticism, periodicals or blogs that try to present the most interesting new work, or all those critique groups among writers, photographers, and other artists?

Whether or not the photographer values and uses other people's opinions is another matter they may have misperceived what he or she was trying to accomplish. After all - and as in any other field - some opinions are better informed or better thought through than others.

My 2 cents again,

Kirk

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Darn Yarn ...

thompsonkirk wrote:
Steve, perhaps what you learned is in some measure incorrect? Aesthetic judgments differ and certainly have a subjective component, but they don't reduce to mere taste and subjectivity. If that were so, there'd be no reason for a section here called 'Photo Critique' it would all be just show-and-tell, with compliments, as in the other sections. If artwork is simple self-expression of 'your picture, your message,' then no reason for constructive criticism, art school, people who study and write about aesthetics and criticism, periodicals or blogs that try to present the most interesting new work, or all those critique
...Show more

Kirk,
Interesting discussion. In no way am I negating the value of artistic criticism, here or elsewhere. All viewpoints are welcome and appreciated, but because a great deal can be subjective, it's always necessary to have an open mind. An articulated and educated point of view by both artist and critic helps to form an analysis. These analysis' are part of the enjoyment and appreciation of art, and hopefully refining one's work.

Artistic criticism by so called "experts" has been dead wrong many times over history. You only have to look at how impressionist art or abstract art was initially perceived by critics.

In the very end, after forming and expressing my own opinion, I've found it best to not be dogmatic, because the key is that the artist be happy and satisfied with his creation.

Steve

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Darn Yarn ...

"Your pic, your message, your call" ... those who've been here a while have likely heard this from me hundreds of times.

I think Steve's point (if I may) is in part to suggest that there is a relationship to the desired message of conveyance trying to be achieved that has a relevance to the critique.

For me, understanding the desired message of conveyance (which I think Kirk, etc. had a good read on) has always been a salient aspect of understanding what is trying to be achieved ... and THEN, performing a critical analysis of the multitude of elements that are working toward vs. away from that particular goal. That's not to say the higher contrast image didn't have an appeal ... just that more contrast might be incongruous with the (perceived / actual) goal of the image's message.

That's a different thing from simply saying "anything goes, it's art". (which is kinda viable in certain circles). Rather, the critical analysis does warrant incorporating the perspective of the message to be conveyed. We know that mood and tone (and a host of other attributes) are related to a variety of elemental components. Whether or not "more contrast" is a matter of taste in some regard, but it also has physiological response associated to it. Whether or not that physiological response is aligned to, or contradicting of, the desired message ... that is a matter beyond the issue of S&P taste alone.

Of course, you kinda gotta have a clue what the intended goal of the message is to know if it is aligning well, or competing & contradicting (or pieces thereof) to render things harmonious, juxtaposed or incongruous. Sometimes, it is pretty clear what the goal of the message is ... other times a bit more subtle, or even within the realm of multiple ambiguous possibilities. In that regard, I think Kirk was spot on with the OP direction, but we've a long history of entertaining alternative possibilities ... never to really try and say "better" or "wrong", but to stimulate consideration more of a "just in case you hadn't considered" as a collective extra set of helping eyes & minds.

In general, if an image is desired to convey something more "soothing" or "relaxing", raising the contrast can be contradictory to the desired mood. Conversely, desiring to "stir emotion", a flatter image can come across "lackluster". Yet, when you get the message and tool better aligned, you can come away with "lovely" or "powerful". I like salt. I like pepper. Yet, I don't pepper everything. Neither do I salt everything.

In a somewhat more refining manner, we can use those (and the myriad of other elemental components) attributes in selective utilization to help draw our viewer to our desired message of conveyance ... much like how a writer can use comma's, exclamation points and parenthesis to help "steer" a reader to the significance, mood or command of attention.

Sometimes a whisper is more powerful than a shout. Other times, the shout will gather more attention to more people. Understanding what we want to say, and then how, we want to deliver our message is (imo) an integral component to driving our processing decisions. Of course, those same considerations apply to pre-production and production, as well as post-production.

From that ... the critical analysis of how effective our decisions are to help drive toward the desired message vs. away from (i.e. detractors, contradictions, etc.) the desired message can be assessed.

As Kirk mentions ... there is critical analysis (and is most welcome here in the land of straight shooters) that is different from mere complimentary ... and is the creator's choice to "use it" or "lose it", because it is "your pic, your message, your call". Using the former (critical analysis) to help the latter (message) is kinda the crux of why we do what we do.

At the risk of sounding like a politician ... you guys are both right.

The upside ... you both like the comp.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password