New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

xsv21
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

Hello,

I am looking for some direction on editing images that I took a few weeks ago at Mesa Arch. Basically I had a perfect morning of capturing both a sun flare and the later morning glow on the underside of the arch and was looking for some help in getting the exposures to meld together properly in photoshop. I can post photos of what I have. Any of the searches I do about sun flares and photoshop just come up with tutorials on how to put fake flares in.

Sep 07, 2017 at 04:38 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

I have several sun flare shots from Mesa Arch but all from a single image, not a combination of two Blending these is way above my photoshop skills.

The secret is to take the image the last possible second before the sun disappears behind the arch. Expose for the arch and foreground and let the sun blow out.

I still need to remove flare spots but just a few.

here is an example.

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

I tried to embed one image in the other and then mask for the darker sky however ii generally turned out a mess without masking using the pen tool to make a cutout - which I'm not good at. The fundamental difficulty is the two images, as is, will not register - transforming, skewing, etc. to no avail to make them fit properly.

That said, seems if you have the opportunity for a daylight shot, then, without moving anything, getting the sun flare image, or several to make sure, you can then embed one in the other and mask out that which is not needed.

If that is what you are after, I don't know?

Bob

Sep 07, 2017 at 07:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

Bob pretty much summed it up. The lack of registration makes this a task highly unlikely to be worth the effort. I was going to stack the images and use masks / blend modes to coordinate the compost.

However, although I could move the flare to fit on the arch, the problem became the different view through the arch alignment / exposure variance ... and then the issue of blending / truncating the flare.

Here's where I got to when I "gave up the ghost". As a labor of love ... you could certainly do better, but I stopped here to illustrate some of the challenges that will be faced. Had the two images been shot with registration on a tripod, then the prospect for good outcomes would be much higher, imo.

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:02 PM
xsv21
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

👇🏻

Edited on Sep 08, 2017 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:13 AM
xsv21
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

I think one of my difficulties is a took so many images throughout the morning that not everyone was on the same exact position or the same configuration. I do believe I have the shot of a flare and the arch at two different exposures in the exact same spot. What process would you recommend using to blend them together with having the lighter exposure be in the middle of the shot instead of just a horizon that could be figured with a digital Gradiant Filter.

In the morning I will try to find images that line up perfectly with the flares at two different exposures for examples. I'm just looking for tips on the process to use, obviously not for someone to do it for me. I do appreciate the input

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

xsv21 wrote:
I think one of my difficulties is a took so many images throughout the morning that not everyone was on the same exact position or the same configuration. I do believe I have the shot of a flare and the arch at two different exposures in the exact same spot. What process would you recommend using to blend them together with having the lighter exposure be in the middle of the shot instead of just a horizon that could be figured with a digital Gradiant Filter.

In the morning I will try to find images that line up perfectly with
...Show more

In CC use File->Place Embedded

Once positioned create a layer mask (Alt-Add a Mask), and tinker with opacity so you can see what you are doing, carefully brush away (white brush) the unwanted areas. One way to approach it.

Crude version, you can see the size problems and lack of registration. If the two images are nearly identical re position, CC does a good job of registering to minimize differences

Bob

Sep 08, 2017 at 07:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with a Mesa Arch Edit

Or in Photoshop, select both layers and then use align images, it does a very good job and resizes if shot at different focus points..

Sep 08, 2017 at 09:13 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.